I NEED IDEAS

hello KSP users! i need ideas!

i do rockets for missions so try to not give me any SSTO ideas.

try to make them easy but not to easy (like mun minmus or duna).

thanks. please post ideas in comments section.

Edited by Gargamel
Large Font

Get to Moho with Kerbals (and back, obviously). I wouldn't call it easy, however your main concerns are only the transfer window, and heat. If you can land on say Duna, it's not that big of a step up, at least compared to other planets.

Rockets are easy. That's why I stopped making them. Their only use is to build stations and bases, maybe refueling imo. (Hm, ssto base builder?............)

Anyway, here is my challenge:

Build a rocket that is able to bring a rover to duna. The rover has to have the 2.5m science lab inkl. all the science gadgets and antenas to transmit science home (you may use the rocket as relay in orbit). The Rover has to be brought back to Kerbin afterwards.

Do an Apollo style Mun landing and Munar orbit rendezvous without using any reaction wheels. Disable any built-in reaction wheels in command pods and probe cores, too. It's not that much harder (you just need to remember to put some RCS ports on your vessels and bring enough monoprop), but it's more realistic. (Real-life reaction wheels aren't anything like the magic ones in KSP.)

If that seems too easy, don't use any RCS either. Use only engine gimbals for steering. Still quite doable, but needs a bit more piloting skill.

Spoiler

If that still seems too easy, disable gimbaling on all engines. You'll need to have multiple radial engines and toggle them on and off to steer.

If even that's not enough of a challenge, do it using solid rockets only. And still no reaction wheels or RCS:cool: (Yes, I believe it's still possible using boost flap tech. But definitely not easy.)

Survive an Interplanetary Re-entry with only one NERVA to resist heat, from Joolar orbit, or Dock with highly eccentric orbiting stuff without RCS or anything.

Easy: make a rocket powered aircraft

Medium: launch that rocket aircraft vertically from launchpad and land it horizontally on runway

Hard: fly that rocket aircraft beneath the skybridge on RnD complex...

Insane: ...And through the tunnel on RnD complex

On 3/23/2019 at 1:09 AM, STORMPILOTkerbalkind said:

So, have you tried any of our submitted missions yet? I would love to see some progress in form of screenshots!

Threads like this are quite useful to new members that want to *do something new* but don't now how to. "Classic" missions like Jool-5 are quite high in demand, so your set falls perfectly in place!

• 3 months later...

Land on Dres. No seriously. Just land on Dres, no more no less, if you knew how much pain is it to like well make a normal angle For dres. That's the #1 reason i was everywhere but Dres. and yes, i do acknowledge of the existence of such planet.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:09 PM, STORMPILOTkerbalkind said:

Base to eeloo

22 hours ago, Shawn Kerman said:

get a rocket to the mun and back only in IVA mode

That is pretty hard if you do not use maneuver nodes. With however it is just annoying

18 hours ago, JERONIMO said:

Land on Dres. No seriously. Just land on Dres, no more no less, if you knew how much pain is it to like well make a normal angle For dres. That's the #1 reason i was everywhere but Dres. and yes, i do acknowledge of the existence of such planet.

I dunno, landing on Bop seems much harder to me. It's tiny and in a very different orbit from anything else in the Jool system. Dres is annoying, sure, but it's not as bad.

10 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

I dunno, landing on Bop seems much harder to me. It's tiny and in a very different orbit from anything else in the Jool system. Dres is annoying, sure, but it's not as bad.

Nope, no wasting Dv on capture, Heard of Tylo? Or if really confident Laythe? Yeah Dres doesn't have it.

1 hour ago, JERONIMO said:

Nope, no wasting Dv on capture, Heard of Tylo? Or if really confident Laythe? Yeah Dres doesn't have it.

Yes, I've landed on all of those places. The only landings I haven't done yet are Eve and Moho. Laythe is easy if you know how to build and fly a spaceplane, and Tylo just requires lots of thrust and nerve. Bop tends to require multiple course corrections and lots of fiddling.

8 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

Yes, I've landed on all of those places. The only landings I haven't done yet are Eve and Moho. Laythe is easy if you know how to build and fly a spaceplane, and Tylo just requires lots of thrust and nerve. Bop tends to require multiple course corrections and lots of fiddling.

What i meant is Dv saving from Gravity assist.

Edited by JERONIMO
changed maneuver to assist.

I’d like to see some realistic near future payloads that take advantage of the 8-9m diameter that some of the upcoming rockets seem to allow. 

I’ve been tinkering myself and 9m is turning out to be insane in terms of what you could do with it!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.