How long did it take for you to learn to land on mün?

Stormpilot

Took me about 5 hours of gameplay to 'land' (at 40 m/s, and destroy the ship) Melnor Kerman survived though after EVA packing away in an Interstellar like sequence where the craft's rotation spun  himaround, rendering the EVA pack useless. I battled to get him under control, and he bounced off the Mun at 4 m/s. Jeb came about 10 hours later in a modified version of the first lander with an extra cabin like Soyuz, on top. They returned home safely, and Melnor still holds the record for longest stay on another celestial body  at 65 days 3 hours. (what can I say? I went to Minmus on a 27d mission and flew rockets into solar orbit before rescuing Melnor)

My own first attempts to land on the Mun were pretty rocky - pun intended. I was poor; had indeed just made the step up from homelessness and alcoholism, was in rehab and was beginning to rebuild my life after a horrible few years. But with the help of friends I got a place and good job in my field. I managed to get a small PC - an Acer Aspire (this was in 2015) and downloaded an old friend: the KSP demo. 

The demo alone is fun enough to keep a player going indefinitely but finally - now with internet - I was able to afford the full game.

That little Acer wasn't much help though - even with a video card it shouldn't have been able to run (took some tinkering lol) which sped it up significantly top speed for all but a small craft of perhaps a dozen parts was about 3 real seconds to one game second. 

Attempting to land on the Mun was a study in lithobraking at varying degrees of angle and velocity. :D

Then in 2016 I'd saved up enough for a new computer and it was a REAL monster of a gaming rig. Big, powerful and stupid-fast it could - and still does - run KSP with fully maxed out settings and glorious frame-rates, even with add-ons up to the eyeballs.

I figure my first successful career landing on the Mun happened close after - in fact, I'm sure I made a post about my attempts, trying to find it. 

Oh - here it is:

Cheers!

Like a Week or less after getting the game, near instantly after first orbit, watched Marcus House and else a whole lot, took that long because of forgetting to use SAS, landed properly after like a Month or so, haven't understand oberth transfers so i stupidly burn to keep orbit Circular until countering Mun, and wasted a damn load of fuel for uselessly hovering far above the surface, evolved quickly afterwards, that i literally beaten the rest of the Kerbolar system in Direct ascent within 9 Months

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.