When do you think it is fair to revert?

jnbspace

I never really role play and I'm mostly building stuff.

To build stuff you test, to do so you use "cheat menu", "hyperedit" and a plethora of flight reverts, quiksaves and quikloads.
If I were to play career and use revert flight in any case it would be stupid. Still I like things to work out properly and have the tendency to use this option. I don't want to make due with a dead Kerbal just because I forgot to drag a radial engines to the first stage just to see my rocket tumble into the ground just because I forgot to click a specific setting in the context menus when inside the editor.

Or do all of you people build rockets out of the ground 100% functional without quirks or issues and accept every mistake you made that leads to failure?
I mostly always make my rockets 100% functional from the get go, but sometimes I forget something and often that mistake is critical. It's not like a real space program would forget to light all corresponding first stage engines.
While in a real space program anyone would verify and check each step is done properly. So if I were to forget putting any engine to the correct stage and I would fail my launch and kill my crew then it wouldn't be a real space program would it? Is logical, makes sense?

Edited by Aeroboi

I mostly revert when Jeb,Bill,Bob or Val dies in a crash or when I'm not patient enough to wait for the crash - in example, when I realize my probe won't even reach space and I'll have to spend some time doing nothing but watch as my probe either burn up or crash.

Always.

I tried a no-revert game once.  I got sick of losing progress from loading backups due to the sheer number of stupid bugs that affect you early in the game, like a plane doing backflips on gentle landings because the landing gear are so hilarious borked that the small ones aren't even worth trying to use.

Of course, now I revert all the time.  Most of my time playing is mainly just seeing if a design will work... which is a lot of "testing"/reverting.  Once the design works... I make something else.  Hopefully the bug will bite again soon and I'll actually be able to really play the game again.

Any time, silly. Cheating and reverting is what makes the game fun for me because I have legitimately tried to make orbit of the mun more than half a dozen times, each of which failed. I can land a tin can with almost no propulsion and minimal fuel from orbit on any low-gravity body, but I am absolute bullcrap at changing SOI’s. I cheat most of my craft into orbit because I know I can get to orbit of Kerbn easily with the right launcher,  and it saves me the trouble of flying each one into orbit. I revert any time I kill one of the original 4, because, well, because very understandable reasons!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.