Rocket blows up when approached by kerbal

So I built a larger rocket and forgot to put panels on it.  When I warped forward a few days the battery died.   I got stuck w/it on the pad due to the save game (yes I know, I should have quick saved more often).  So instead of scrapping it, I thought it would be cool to build a vehicle in the space plane hanger that had an engineer (using kis/kas) to bolt on a panel on the rocket while it was on the pad.  I thought I was so slick until I drove my little jet jeep onto the pad only to watch the rocket explode for no reason!   Even parking further away and walking a kerbal does the same thing.  It seems that if I get a certain distance, BOOOM!  Note the video below.  Why?!

https://youtu.be/AhuLStPg2s4

Edited by dangros
linked url

Oh, I have been there.  My rockets were much, much bigger than that though.

It's an issue with you coming into Physics range.

Two mods I can think of that will help you are KJR and World Stabilizer.

I know it's marked as 1.3, but take a look at the last few pages of the thread before you install.  I won't play without this mod.

I'm honestly not sure if World Stabilizer will help with your exact problem, but it's not a bad idea to look at it anyway.

Edited by Geonovast

1 minute ago, dangros said:

why dont they fix that? Sounds like a bug to me

It probably isn't a huge priority since that kind of situation is pretty rare.  There probably aren't very many of us walking/driving up to rockets on the pad.  Unfortunately there's a lot of stuff that you can ask "Why don't they fix that" to and never get an answer.

37 minutes ago, dangros said:

why dont they fix that? Sounds like a bug to me

Considering there's literally quintillions of part combinations, it's not unreasonable Squad to think 'This bug might only happen to one of those 5 quintillion part combinations so this is a low priority'. At least you're not a victim of the Ass Kraken which basically corrupts your game.

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

It probably isn't a huge priority since that kind of situation is pretty rare.  There probably aren't very many of us walking/driving up to rockets on the pad.  Unfortunately there's a lot of stuff that you can ask "Why don't they fix that" to and never get an answer.

But it should be. It sounds very similar to the known landing gear/wheels/struts bug that launch landers into the sky on other world's when EVA gets back in physics range.

You can probably circumnavigate the issue by altering the way the game works by toggling an option on in the debug panel (Alt-F12). Under "Cheats", turn on "Unbreakable joints". That should most likely solve your issue. Don't forget to turn it off again once you've resolved your issue. Coming into physics range when an object is under severe stress will often result into janking movements, tearing the joints and destroying the craft. I use the unbreakable joints option whenever I save and loading a game mid-flight (atmospheric flight)... Works fine for me there, and if I'm not mistaken it should work for you the same.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2019 at 6:33 PM, Adelaar said:

You can probably circumnavigate the issue by altering the way the game works by toggling an option on in the debug panel (Alt-F12). Under "Cheats", turn on "Unbreakable joints". That should most likely solve your issue. Don't forget to turn it off again once you've resolved your issue. Coming into physics range when an object is under severe stress will often result into janking movements, tearing the joints and destroying the craft. I use the unbreakable joints option whenever I save and loading a game mid-flight (atmospheric flight)... Works fine for me there, and if I'm not mistaken it should work for you the same.

This appears to be whats happening but when doing that, the rocket seemed to leap up in the air and blow up the launch pad, then toppling upon its side!  crazy.

59 minutes ago, dangros said:

This appears to be whats happening but when doing that, the rocket seemed to leap up in the air and blow up the launch pad, then toppling upon its side!  crazy.

Possibly the rocket has clipped into the pad a little, explaining the jumping. Perhaps add launch clamps to the rocket if possible.

wait, it explodes on approach but can it revert?

Edited by Fraston

4 hours ago, Fraston said:

Possibly the rocket has clipped into the pad a little, explaining the jumping. Perhaps add launch clamps to the rocket if possible.

wait, it explodes on approach but can it revert?

Cant revert b/c I saved it on the pad and went back to that save game at some point.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.