Kerbal Space Program Enhanced Edition: History and Parts Pack Grand Discussion Thread!

UomoCapra

@JadeOfMaar Honestly, while it may be a strange choice, I welcome it. Maybe I'm just lazy. Although it does also make the rest of the solar system easier to reach.....

Actually, considering how many players have never left Kerbin's SOI (apparently), this could be Squads way to remedy that, if a poor way in some players eyes.

5 hours ago, Arch3rAc3 said:

And nice job removing the KSPedia app. You then tell players that somehow this makes it more convenient for them (who knows how), and you direct them to www.kerbalspaceprogram.com - very informative. Boy, this update is looking better and better... I'm amazed they didn't charge for this as well.

The KSPedia app is still in the game 

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

...I don't mean to bash or trigger the forum moderators but these are very largely the reasons the community is in an uproar about it....

Hardly bashing, they're very valid and sound concerns to basic gameplay progression. Something that should have been set in stone years ago, and only augmented with some kind of end-game system where you work hard for permanent, self sustaining settlements. 

58 minutes ago, M_Rat13 said:

@JadeOfMaar Honestly, while it may be a strange choice, I welcome it. Maybe I'm just lazy. Although it does also make the rest of the solar system easier to reach.....

Actually, considering how many players have never left Kerbin's SOI (apparently), this could be Squads way to remedy that, if a poor way in some players eyes.

I think the fundamental reasoning for that is the severe lack of things to do out there. A featureless planet that is 2300 dv away that is functionally identical to another that is 4000dv away leaves little reason for me to go out that far. I've always dreamed of some kind of Spore-like flora and fauna system where every planet is different every time you start a new game,  giving the player some point to the exploration. Set up a quarantined xeno-study facility at the KSC and attempt to bring back samples of creatures and whatnot. Imagine designing a small drone that needs to reach certain speed thresholds to catch a rare, elusive bat you found in a cave under the surface of Duna. Design it with a net launcher? Oops too slow. Maybe refit the device with some kind of tranquilliser dart, adding a camera module with crosshairs and giving the craft the ability to function in first-person? Bring back a breeding pair and then accidentally infest the IVA of your orbiting space station? Oh dear now the crew have the Space Madness and science generation on the vessel has taken a nosedive D: 

Positive note? Now you've unlocked a membrane-like wing system and research into echo location technology, and high tech radar devices for subterranean scanning. 

That zany kind of thing would work wonders in KSP's part building system - missions that need custom craft that you need to think about, interesting creatures that add immersion to worlds, research into these unique lifeforms that the kerbals have never seen before unlocking a ton of useful parts in a logical way. A fulfilling way to explore and flesh out the tech tree, especially in the late game when things get stale. 

Heck, even different types of surface resources, if you want to be more sensible for the emulators of real space programs. "Oh, what's this weird metallic zinc-like metal amongst our ore? Ship some of it off to head office, we might have found something that'd enhance the performance of our lead-based batteries!"

Give me something like this in a DLC :)

56 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

What?! Why have they done this! It was so useful to new players!

Yeah, and i'm damn salty about that. All the work @DMagic and @Paul Kingtiger has put into supporting this amazing resource with our mod, and Squad cans it. 

cyDeXZv.png

On 3/28/2019 at 6:23 PM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

It's going to take a long time to forgive them for what they did to my beloved Mk1-2 Command Pod

Tbh I quite like the new command pod. Conducted a Mun mission yesterday using it, ran out of fuel at the last second during Trans-Kerbin Injection. I decoupled everything, pointed radial out, and used the built-in RCS thrusters to push sideways onto a suborbital trajectory.

On 3/28/2019 at 6:23 PM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I've only encountered one thing last night (minor IVA issue)

Did the issue involve velocimeters?

@Daishi while I get the point for meaningful content to explore, I doubt fauna is the answer. Simply put, this is meant to emulate our own IRL space program, just with the ability to do what they never could. If you are bored of space, then what hope is there for our own space program?

Also, not all planets are the same, just look at Duna, Eve and the Jool system. Obviously, Eve is very hard, but the fact people haven't even tried to get to Duna, says more than people can't find anything to explore. The Mun base remedies that, in an imperfect way.

15 hours ago, Daishi said:

Yeah, and i'm damn salty about that. All the work @DMagic and @Paul Kingtiger has put into supporting this amazing resource with our mod, and Squad cans it. 

Taking the info of  the post in announcements as basis. KSpedia is only gone (for now) on Console.  And since there isn't really any mod support on console, the mention of Kspedia pages from mods isn't that relevant, for now.(and how many have actually been using it anyway. Judging by all what is already answered in the Book, but still asked frequently, not many have read it).

14 hours ago, Jebediah Kerman Jr. said:

Tbh I quite like the new command pod. Conducted a Mun mission yesterday using it, ran out of fuel at the last second during Trans-Kerbin Injection. I decoupled everything, pointed radial out, and used the built-in RCS thrusters to push sideways onto a suborbital trajectory.

Did the issue involve velocimeters?

Yes

I have finally had some time with the new update /DLC, and so far it seems fairly stable. The only thing of real note is the loading time, which seems longer than before but appears constant. Obviously this is still early days and we could discover "game breaking" bugs at any time, but I'm quietly pleased thanks squad! 

There is one thing I have a question about (not the service modules, I figured them out) we now have Engine Mounting plates (fancy decouplers with extra shrouds) but there doesn't seem to be a way to turn off crossfeed, I don't know if that's "as intended" or not :/

On 3/28/2019 at 8:18 PM, Joessep Kerman said:

I'm one of those. I don't agree with you.

Work is work, and these folks earned it. Yes, it was frustrating to have a game that had tragic bugs, but I got Enhanced at no charge. Didn't you get the same? And while Enhanced is not perfect, I'm having a fine time with my playstyle. I have a save ritual that allows manual revert, all day.

If paying $10 keeps them interested in keeping consoles in the game, I'll have a ramen for lunch instead of a burger and fries and call it a day. 

And how about the PC players who got it for free for buying early access? Those of us who bought the original KSP on console are essentially the exact same.

Getting the Enhanced Edition for free was nothing more than them fixing a game that was broken beyond repair. A mistake that should've never happened. They should've tested it and delayed the release date.

1 hour ago, Jeremiah said:

And how about the PC players who got it for free for buying early access?

PC players didn't get it for free for buying early access.  Some people got it free because Squad had a slightly ambiguous statement in their purchase agreement, and some people threw a fit over it.  You could say it was "a mistake that should've never happened. "

20 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

Yeah. Wasn't it literally only people who had been playing ksp from the very first few releases?

No, it was everyone who had bought KSP before a certain date, which was shortly after the "error" was brought up and fixed.

(Although, that might as well be the same in effect, it was the way it was worded.)

Edited by razark

After reading through this thread, I think it's time to lay down a little love.

People keep talking about crashes but so far (for me) the game is more stable then it's ever been. I've had no problems with menus not opening, and the kraken seems to be sleeping soundly, graphics seem better also, though that could be my imagination.

As for the DLC, I'll admit, for the money paid for it, the content is a little thin on the ground but the quality is first rate!

Service modules! (Once I figured how to de-shroud them) 

Engine plates: no more of the small structural girders (lower part count is always welcome on console) tho some way of restricting cross flow would be handy

Structural tubes: where have you been all my life? Great for protecting delicate parts but with greater stability then a fairing.

Now there's bound to be a few bugs but I'm sure we can work together on that.(squad don't let me down on this!)

If there's one thing I'd critique, it's that some of the historical engines are a bit over powered, not necessarily in thrust, but efficiency, I mean I managed to get a large interplanetary ship into orbit with one stage!

6 hours ago, Broke dead dogg said:

If there's one thing I'd critique, it's that some of the historical engines are a bit over powered, not necessarily in thrust, but efficiency, I mean I managed to get a large interplanetary ship into orbit with one stage!

I think I disagree :p 

The best engine from the DLC is the wolfhound IMO, great trust, specific impulse at a low fuel cost. Such an engine was really needed. It has poor sea level performance so it balances out pretty well.

Some of the other engines fit different situations better mainly when the payload is more massive, having that said, the amount of fuel the big tanks give are nuts. I recreated the apollo rocket with the parts and it'll send you out of kerbals SOI very easily. 

But those are changes that are really good in terms of gameplay. Part count is somewhat reduced, it looks better and gets you a lot further. You don't even need the Mun launch platform with them.

And I gladly bought the DLC! I hope more people do and that it encourages Squad and those involved to put even more content out. There are studio's that do far worse for their games that are sometimes more popular and probably on a larger budget. 

Imho ;)

Edit: 

Btw you don't have to trail your falling kerbal, you can use the AG/action menu which is dpad left or right, then select the chute there. I can only assume PC version has similar systems in place, either by keybind or also a radial menu of some sort. 

Edited by Cruss

Well, I bought the DLC yesterday. Very much worth your $10, so much content. Spent about 3 hours building Vostoks and Geminis and Soyuzs (?).

The only bugs I can find in the entire update is that annoying velocimeter (tbh it's not that annoying), contracts refuse to show pronouns (like this: Kerman Kerman is stranded in orbit of The Mun. Return Kerman Kerman safely to Kerbin.), and The Mun being spelled with a capital T.

the only "bug" I found in the console update was if you go into IVA, the speedometer (velocimeter?) is written straight down instead of across the screen its meant to be down.

ex:

m

/

s