My first rendezvous

IU_R

57 minutes ago, FreshHotEngines said:

I'm not lying to you, I suck at rendezvous, and i'm dying to get jebediah out of minmus orbit. I think around minmus it should be easy;  I saw a video on it. And that's why You deserve a pet Mun.

I've tried and failed many times.

Also, is Jeb in a re-entry capable spacecraft? If he is you can retroburn using his jetpack, since the EVA propellant will be full whenever you enter and then leave the capsule.

"prograde and retrograde" (yellow ones) are basically "outwards" and "inwards" respectively, (the blue ones are "left and right" and the pink ones are "up and down").

because your spaceship (aside from being awesome), is "floating about in space" - there is no "up down left right etc", because space has no "centre" like the earth does, and if something has no centre (no gravity to pulling towards), then there is no such thing as "up and down"; such is space.

...so some guy called them "prograde and retrograde" etc (annoying).

i have trouble too, i can't even remember what the pink and blue ones are called...

if you learn the function of (from the tutorial etc), then you don't need to remember the names, fortunately! (because if you needed to remember everything in game, then the game would suck big time... (imho))

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

No they are not. They're closer to forward and backward.

This kind of confusion is exactly why they got unique names.

you are on kerbin and you go "forward" then you go down the runway...

you are on kerbin and you go "outward" then you go into space....

- i will stick to my definition.

Prograde and retrograde

The chartreuse yellow prograde marker indicates the orientation of the velocity vector of the craft relative to the point of reference; it indicates in which direction the vessel is moving at that moment.

1) the point of reference is the *celestrial body.

2) direction of movement pertaining to the "orbital path" (fuel is not infinite...)

- a prograde burn makes the orbital path ("circle") "bigger" so therefore it makes the space ship from the previous point in time (vs *reference); "outward" relative to the previous point of reference (being the orbital path prior to the burn).

Edited by k00b
to be sarcastic

7 hours ago, k00b said:

Prograde has nothing to do with going to space. Why not say lunch comes before breakfast because cars have engines? It makes as much sense.

8 hours ago, k00b said:

- i will stick to my definition.

Prograde and retrograde

The chartreuse yellow prograde marker indicates the orientation of the velocity vector of the craft relative to the point of reference; it indicates in which direction the vessel is moving at that moment.

1) the point of reference is the *celestrial body.

2) direction of movement pertaining to the "orbital path" (fuel is not infinite...)

- a prograde burn makes the orbital path ("circle") "bigger" so therefore it makes the space ship from the previous point in time (vs *reference); "outward" relative to the previous point of reference (being the orbital path prior to the burn).

So when you are standing on the launch pad right before lift off...which way is prograde?

Nowhere, it is undefined because you are not moving (you can look around on the navball while standing still, you won't find it).

Once you start moving in a direction, the prograde marker will show up...in that same direction. It shows up in the direction of the trajectory line drawn in map mode, so you won't see it when your velocity is 0. But if you switch your velocity mode to "Orbital velocity" while you are still standing still on the launchpad, the prograde marker will show up towards the east (because your vessel and the ground below it is moving towards the east)

5 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

So when you are standing on the launch pad right before lift off...which way is prograde?

Nowhere, it is undefined because you are not moving (you can look around on the navball while standing still, you won't find it).

Once you start moving in a direction, the prograde marker will show up...in that same direction. It shows up in the direction of the trajectory line drawn in map mode, so you won't see it when your velocity is 0. But if you switch your velocity mode to "Orbital velocity" while you are still standing still on the launchpad, the prograde marker will show up towards the east (because your vessel and the ground below it is moving towards the east)

Try setting the nav ball to orbital mode at the very start of a launch. While you don't have any movement on/over the surface, you do still have rotational velocity and also carry the velocity of kerbin.

NVM I just saw the parentheses, disregard this post (which it seems I can't delete)

Edited by TheTripleAce3

5 hours ago, FreshHotEngines said:

No, He's in his EVA suit. I literally need 5280 M/s to get a ship into low orbit. I originally was landing on the Mun, but I ran out of fuel and the Mun put me on a collision course with minmus.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a update Incase anyone cares:

Still progressing in career mode, just unlocked the nuclear engine. But not really doing missions much, currently messing about with space stations, research centers, landings within kerbins system, including kerbin itself, trying to master a suicide burn onto kerbin to save money on the career mode.

but yeah successfully have a space station orbiting kerbin, it isn’t doing much it’s more for show but it’s super cool.

i find landings more difficult than rendezvous, I try not to use quicksave at all unless I’m getting very frustrated, if it’s a mission failed then it’s a mission failed, it only makes me want to get better at what I’m doing. Currently “mastered” (not really) landing on the Mun, now going into Minimus which I’ve heard is much easier due to the lack of gravity.

but yeah! That’s where I am currently at if anyone was wondering, no I haven’t given up on the game yet, although I’ve had a lot of rage quits hahah, funny explaining to my mates that I rage at a space exploration game. 

Really enjoying my time with KSP though! Thank you for the kind comments everyone! 

Minmus is much easier to land in than the Mun, you can sit down for quite a while before picking up a lot of velocity and if it's going wrong you can more easily boost off the surface and have another try. It's also much flatter than the Mun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.