LF Colonization

A new day has begun and the politicians of Kerbin have decided that the KSP has to get more efficient. Too many rockets have tossed their engines into the ocean, too many tanks scattered on the grasslands after staging, to many factories are producing toxic waste during the process of producing Oxidiser.

Therefore a new law was passed and starting from today, all rockets, launchers, rovers, planes, SSTOs, etc. are required to only use Liquid Fuel as their main propellant. Also all the bits and pieces have to be recoverable.

Also, another law has been passed after President Krump has visited KSC and decided that colonizing Duna would be the perfect PR stunt to get him re-elected second term. However he was not that generous with the budget raise, which many scientists would badly need to accomplish the new challenge.

RULES:

1) No mods, No cheating F12, Hyperedit, Kraken etc.. Cosmetic parts, DLC and info screens are allowed as well as Fuel Switch.

2) No Oxidiser at any stage

3) All staged parts must be able to land safely. (Recovery as "behind the scenes" accepted) Shells are allowed bc reasons

4) Monoprop and Batteries are allowed - Xenon is tolerated

5) ISRU is allowed. However no Oxidiser!

6) No excessive clipping: You may clip structual parts, as they could have been built that way. i.e a fuel tank however can not be clipped.

Further rules may be added as necessary

The Challenge:

- You have to build a Launcher that runs off LF only while costing less than 350.000$.

- Your Launcher-payload is limited to max. 30t and 60.000$

- Each payload must be a self sustained vehicle, eg. probe, solar panel, some dV for deorbiting, etc. (You may dock a lander for safe landing). Colony-Parts don't have to apply to this, however they are required to be docked to something applying for this rule at all times, until landed!

- You have to build a transfer vehicle to get to Duna and back.

- You have to build a lander to get some payload down to the surface of Duna. All non-colony items have to be able to return into LDO.

- You have to build a base at Duna. These are the parts that may stay on Duna. This base has to have the following:

• Living Space for at least 35 Kerbals. (Labs and cockpits don't count)
  • A rover with space for 4 Kerbals (does not count to base req.!), all the science and a Experiment Storage unit.
  • A garage for the rover, as protection from storms that kill beloved rovers (R.I.P Opportunity)
  • ISRU platform inkl. tanks to store LF and power generators. (You may use that LF for future missions - I accept fuel pipe mods for this specific use only!)
  • A Science Lab inkl. Antena to transmit data. (You may use a small dish with relay-sats in orbit, as long as 24/7 signal coverage is in place)
  • An emergency Launcher that is able to bring Kerbals into LDO. You may place several, but at the very least every landed Kerbal has to be backed up!
  • Light poles to keep the streets safe

Note: The base does NOT have to be docked or one big thing. However it should be placed close together, within 1km or less, edge to edge. Lightpoles may be used to mark the area, therefore they are allowed to be slightly out of the limits.

For those of you familiar with colonizing Duna, or too bored with this challenge: There are several twists to make it more interesting for you!

• Replace Duna with Laythe
  • No S2 or S3 parts, no Mk2 or Mk3 parts. Just 1.25m tanks, engines, crew cabins, etc as payload
  • Launcher has to be SSTO
  • No fuel pipe mods for base-refueling - docking like a pro!
  • Additional Sea-Plane, same rule as the rover
  • Additional U-Boat, same rule as rover
  • Frontier-Base at the bottom of DeGrasse Sea, housing 4 Kerbals + Science Lab (not sure if boyancy allowes that - if not, just palce 4 Kerbals down there)
  • Optional: Build the base as much as possible floating on water

Spoiler

So far my own entry is WIP. I was able to get 10t into LKO. I have estimated weight and budget on my previous builds.

Ryt5kI5.png

Here's an example of a Light Pole :-)

494vghr.jpg

Be creative!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.