Medical Expansion for WBI

RocketSquid

This mod adds kerbal health functionality to certain pathfinder parts and adds new templates designed to keep kerbals healthy more or less indefinitely at the cost of time and resources. 

Those of you who pay a lot of attention to the pathfinder thread have probably seen me talking about this one. I've finally put together a version that should work, so I've decided to make a separate thread for it. I'm putting it in add-on development instead of addon releases because it is untested at this point (I have loaded it in my game and the templates can be loaded, I have not tried using them yet). If anyone wants to help test it, it is available here. Thank you.

Features:

It adds three new templates: The Sawbones medical station, the House Call medical clinic, and the Needleworks medical supply factory.

The Sawbones (science lab) allows scientists to turn medical kits and power into Medical Care, which is then used to recuperate a patient in the medical station at a whopping 10% per day. This process also produces medical waste, which can be recycled (50% efficiency) using the onboard autoclave.

The House Call (habitat) cannot produce Medical Care, but can use Medical Care it to provide 2% recuperation to a theoretically unlimited number of kerbals. It can also slowly manufacture medical kits from ore, plants, and water. Plants are produced in the MOBL from M.O.L.E. and I think in the cropworks, if not I will add a plant-producing greenhouse in the future. It would take two House Calls to support a single kerbal in the sawbones.

The Needleworks medical supply factory (factory) produces large amounts of medical kits from ore, rare metals, exotic minerals/minerite, plants, and water. It can also use medical waste in place of 90% of the ore, rare metals, and exotic minerals/minerite. 

It also modifies the castillo: it now has radiation shielding due to its concrete structure, and serves as a home away from home, granting +2 health per day to kerbals inside it. The castillo factory and observatory get the radiation shielding but not the healing effect.

Lastly, it makes the ponderosa habitat reduce crowding and increase connected.

• 1 month later...

Update:

https://github.com/RocketSquid/WBI-Medical-Expansion/releases/tag/v0.3

Castillo radiation shielding has been removed, as it made the parts not appear in-game. An easy alternative is to fill a chuckwagon or similar large storage with water or lead.

House call recuperation is increased to 3% to balance the higher complexity as compared to cupolas

New Saloon Recreation center (habitat): Gives 1% recuperation and 50% microgravity reduction to up to six kerbals, requiring only electric charge. This is to increase the viability of bases on low-gravity worlds such as minmus, as well as in orbit, and to reduce the necessity for a medical kit supply chain or a Castillo, and balance the mod against stock or SSPXR parts.

Possible issues:

I'm not entirely sure on the balance of the various parts. The castillo is a truly immense boon, but it's also a truly immense part. The Saloon might be too powerful if loaded in a MOH; if so I will remove the moleHab tag from it.

• 2 weeks later...

Whats the easiest way to provide shielding on stations built around the MOLE, Mk One Botany Lab and Mk one Habitat? The shielding seems to be getting lost with the ability to switch contents.

Edited by Sudragon

35 minutes ago, Sudragon said:

Whats the easiest way to provide shielding on stations built around the MOLE, Mk One Botany Lab and Mk one Habitat? The shielding seems to be getting lost with the ability to switch contents.

The way I usually do it is to carry an extra coach with some lead or water in it. Lead is less effective than dedicated radiation shielding, but a coach can hold far more lead than a pod can hold radiation shielding. I have a station in munar orbit that only has proper radiation shielding in a few, non-WBI parts and thanks to a container of lead and some huge tanks of water the crew has negligible (i.e. shows up as zero) radiation exposure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.