Quad Nuke engine suddenly using LH2 fuel source?

Hello.

I was using quad nuke engines for large craft long range travel. previously all using liquid fuel as only fuel source,  and suddenly before landing i activate new stage and my engine flames out? tanks full of liquid fuel i was puzzled, then i suddenly realised the engine required LH2 as a fuel source? what even is this?

I recently added new things to my tech tree to extend science collection but cannot see why that would mean all my nuke engines would need a different fuel source?

Can anyone suggest what to do? my  ship is stuck dead in orbit with a tank of useless fuel.

Thank you kindly.

Nick

9irqatomuip21.jpg

@nick533a, Real-life designs for Nuclear Thermal Rockets use Liquid Hydrogen (LH2) as a propellant. Some mods that include engines that meant to represent LH2 burning rockets (Nuclear and Chemical) will add that resource to help balance the awesome ISP of the NTR. I'd recommend looking at the fine print of mods you've added recently to see what other changes they make.

I can see from the screenshot that you have Kerbal Atomics, which patches nearly every nuclear engine from just about every mod to use LH2 instead of LiquidFuel. If you don’t want this, go into the patch folder of Kerbal Atomics and change the extension on the relevant patch (or all of them) from .cfg to .txt

Thank you all for your time... You suspected correctly in that Kerbal Atomics was the culprit. it was overriding all other mods so i had to remove it, and hey-ho i'm back on liquid fuel. now my ships can use their respective fuels again!

Thank you all.

7 hours ago, nick533a said:

it was overriding all other mods so i had to remove it

You did not have to remove Kerbal Atomics entirely, rather not install the hydrogenNTRsClusters.cfg patch. It's in the "Extras" directory because it is optional.
There's a patch in there to convert the Kerbal Atomics engines to LF as well.

Edited by steve_v

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.