Need help with going 2 the mun

That craft looks a bit small, but it might be do-able. You can improve its fuel efficiency by putting some nosecones on those sidestacks, though. And you can probably add more fuel to them, since it seems to have a lot of thrust. Where in the process are you having trouble? 

Yep, not enough DV. There's a DV map that shows how much you'll need for each step of the journey linked below. All you do is trace the steps of your journey along the map and read off the numbers. From the Map you'll see you need:

• 3400 DV to get to orbit - this is your launch vehicle and, probably, your first two stages
  • 860 DV to burn to transfer to Mun
  • 310 DV to enter orbit around the Mun
  • 310 DV to burn away from the Mun and head back to Kerbin - the numbers work forwards and backwards. This is the amount you need to enter and also leave orbit. Plot your burn so your PE over Kerbin is about 35km. This puts you in the atmosphere and you'll aerobrake.
  • As @Tacombel mentions above, you could also re-enter Kerbin orbit...to do that you'd need another 860 DV - because these numbers work going both ways, so you're just reading backwards along your path back to Kerbin.

jkVRAPl.png

Edited by Tyko

On 4/2/2019 at 12:37 PM, BlockGaming06 said:

Hi friend that found my account.

how do I get more dv

As I noted earlier, your launch stage appears to have enough thrust to carry more fuel. How about just adding some tanks on top of those booster side stacks? 

If you're in science mode I'd suggest a flyby of the mun first before a landing attempt, but another issue is that your craft doesn't seem to have the fuel or engines to go terribly far. If you have a probe (which I assume you do if you have a fairing), I'd launch a few of those first to the mun, get some science from space high over and near the mun and spend that science unlocking more stuff you can use to get there and land there (like the Terrier for manned flights or Spark engines for small probes which are easier to get to the mun with). 

Another idea would be adding a set of Fleas at the bottom of the rocket for launch to save a bit of dv and give you more thurst to pack in extra fuel for your swivels 

That's a BIG fairing ... just how much stuff are you lifting anyway?  Also, double the fuel in stage 6, I think, especially since you're burning the center engine all the way.  It's hard to tell just what engines you're using where...

On 4/1/2019 at 3:32 PM, Vanamonde said:

And you can probably add more fuel to them, since it seems to have a lot of thrust

To which I will add: if you click on those "///" symbols on your stages, you can see an expanded stats window.  This will show your TWR.  You should be able to add quite a bit of fuel to those side-boosters before TWR gets too low (anything over 1.3 should work well).  TWR can be lower when you're getting close to orbit, and can be quite low (0.5 or less) after you're in orbit, depending on the mission. 

I can't tell if you're using Reliants or Swivels, but I've found it works well to use Reliants on the outer boosters and a Swivel on the core.  This gets you lots of thrust, sufficient control authority, and matches the engines' optimum altitudes.  You may also want to look into cross-feeding fuel between stacks -- i..e, asparagus staging.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.