Favourite spaceships that never flew?

I can echo most of what's already been posted-- and would like to add the Soyuz 7K-VI ""Zvezda", with the orbital and decent modules rearranged and RTGs replacing the solar panels.  Oh-- and a cannon.   (I don't really condone the militarization of space; but still...)

2 km longThe ATO program Orbital Airship launched from Dark Sky Station

See the source image

basically a 2 km long blimp (the dark blue one) that never enters the lower or middle atmosphere, with enough DV to get up to orbital velocity despite the slight drag at that altitude. The station is even bigger, because that's where you transship from normal high altitude airships (light blue V)
Edited by Rakaydos

45 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

What an utter mess. Two images of Spiral with no mention of MiG and Lozino-Lozinskyi. I hate what PopMech has become, they used to be far less amateurish.

On 4/25/2019 at 10:49 AM, kerbiloid said:

Maybe it's an antenna shroud?

No, it’s definitely a vertical stabilizer/rudder, as this drawing shows:

Full-Hotol.jpg

Also, I don’t understand why HOTOL need a rocket-powered trolley to take off, when Skylon can take off from a normal runway with landing gear

Edited by ErinBensen

Ptichka, sister ship of Buran that never flew, 97% completed when the Buran programme ended

Silbervogel, the suborbital bomber that's scrapped on planning stage because the designer underestimated the atmospheric heating

Sonnengewehr, basically an orbital killer space station. With pumpkin farm as oxygen generators. The epitome of ridiculousness in space technology

Edited by ARS

4 hours ago, ErinBensen said:

Also, I don’t understand why HOTOL need a rocket-powered trolley to take off, when Skylon can take off from a normal runway with landing gear

Those turbocompressors look awfully small and probably would work poorly at low speed - especially if I read this right and HOTOL uses an RL-10-style expander cycle to power them.

Edited by DDE

On 4/3/2019 at 1:16 AM, StrandedonEarth said:

Ol’ Boom Boom?

orion12.jpg
/tread
Yes it has lots of downsides and was newer tested in detail, however its as close we can get to touch ship or starship in the 21th century without black swan level breakthrough like FTL. 
Or building enough solar pumped lasers to make us an K1 civilization.Yes that is also the weapon system. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.