Tylo on SRB Challenge - Now open to other Destinations!

Over the years KSP has been witness to a bunch of crazy challenges including  travelling to destinations using Solid Rocket Boosters, arguably one of the worst types on engines in game. We have had Mun on SRBsMinmus on SRBEve on SRB,Duna on SRBLaythe on SRBEeloo on SRB, heck, even the Moon on SRBs. But I have yet to see the other toughest destination to get to and back be covered - Tylo.

The Challenge is Simple : Land on Tylo and return safely only using Solid Rocket Boosters

You can perform the mission anyway you like provided the main source of propulsion is Solid Fuel. I will allow using the EVA jet pack to transfer between vessels if need be, but the vessels must be in the same SOI. It is not necessary to land on Kerbin with Solid Rockets, parachutes are ok. No RCS can be used, Reaction wheels and fins are okay though.

The more Kerbal the better! If anyone has any record of this challenge being completed already please post it.

Submissions can either be in video or images format. All maneuvers must be shown, don't cheat yada yada.

I'm hoping to see some good discussion over this topic.

EDIT:Since the challenge and been answered and fulfilled, I would like other SRB related challenges being fulfilled like reaching rest of the bodies which have been left unconquered.

Submissions: 

@Ultimate Steve First-ever user to complete the challenge! Used a very overengineered rocket, check the video here!

Edited by Xurkitree

C   I   T   A   D   E   L

Bbn6iNU.png

This mission actually didn't require much effort to put together. A long time ago, I tried to do a Solid Rocket Booster Grand Tour. I did Eve, Gilly, and got halfway to Moho, but I did not have time to launch what probably would have been at least 8 SRB segments (massive refuelers of a sort) and rendezvous them in solar orbit just to get the mothership to Moho. And then I had to get it all the way from Moho to Jool, that was the plan at least. The precision was most likely not good enough to do gravity assists, unfortunately. The mission was possible on paper, but I didn't have time for it in real life.

But, because of starting that challenge, I have SRB only landers for every planet and moon at my disposal, as well as an SRB only lifter that can launch 500-600 tons to LKO, which is actually a bit overpowered for this mission. All I had to do was build the return ship and the transfer stages. I replaced the old texture SRBs and decouplers on the lander, but I didn't bother with the lifter, that's too much replacing to do, so some parts of the craft are going to have the old textures.

Assuming I did my math right, and the struts hold, I'm ready to go. I can't say when the video will be up, though. I don't know how long it will take me to fly this thing. the mission may be done tomorrow, it may take a month.

18 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Complete!

Awesome indeed! :o

I do feel the need to respond to one of your comments in the video, at 5:30: there is in fact a practical way to do docking with SRBs. It basically involves slow-burning sepratrons and using movable aero surfaces to toggle their thrust on and off.

I've done it in LKO myself; now I'm kind of tempted to try doing this mission without using any EVA fuel just to show that it's possible. :wink: Mostly I'm just worried about whether my laptop can handle the launch from Kerbin without dropping down to < 1 FPS. :/

1 hour ago, vyznev said:

Awesome indeed! :o

I do feel the need to respond to one of your comments in the video, at 5:30: there is in fact a practical way to do docking with SRBs. It basically involves slow-burning sepratrons and using movable aero surfaces to toggle their thrust on and off.

I've done it in LKO myself; now I'm kind of tempted to try doing this mission without using any EVA fuel just to show that it's possible. :wink: Mostly I'm just worried about whether my laptop can handle the launch from Kerbin without dropping down to < 1 FPS. :/

Ah, that's an interesting concept... I may have to investigate if I have free time soon... Thank you for making me aware of this!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.