KSP Loading... Preview: Advanced Maneuver Mode

SQUAD

Once again @SQUAD, thank you for listening to the constructive feedback from the community in refining these upcoming features.  My hat is off to you.

I think this will be a good step at getting new players proficient at orbital rendezvous maneuvers a lot quicker.  And with the "Ejection Angle" readout, I think that's a good addition to push more players to go interplanetary.  Some additional UI elements would probably be needed down the road to overcome the interplanetary transfer speed-bump, but all of these new UI elements had me smiling while watching that video.

The last time I was looking forward to a release this much was 1.4. :)

And I remember, I think it was just the other day, when HarvesteR announced "hey guys! I figured out how to tell where someone is clicking on a patched-conics orbit with the mouse!"

Whoo! I am psyched for the update.

8 hours ago, SQUAD said:

1.7... releases next week!

I actually missed that part.

A: I guess I'll never get around to installing 1.6.1 now.

B: Didn't y'all learn enough about announcing release dates a couple weeks ago?

That's actually pretty cool, and a massive improvement over the finicky drag-handles we have currently. Maybe I could even stop using MechJeb just to get a node where I want it. Once I have a non-broken >1.3 release to play that is.

Still no GNU\Linux joystick support though, so still no DLC purchase from me. Mental note to never buy another Squad product as they are apt to randomly break and never be fixed remains.

AlL thAT NUmBerS

Seriously it does not look like KSP.

But the altimeter toggle is great!

Stop. Watch 0.09. See that they leaved that empty gray space in right of the "Stage" LED?

And the "warning stripe" is now HUGE!

ITS HORRIBLE

Edited by Gapone

3 hours ago, razark said:

Didn't y'all learn enough about announcing release dates a couple weeks ago?

to their credit, they didn't say what day next week. they've given themselves some padding room, haha. 

52 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

A feature preview thread that has not one single post complaining in it?

...Yes, this must be a belated april fools joke. It cannot possibly be real.

P.S.: I'm loving it!

Well almost at least

3 hours ago, steve_v said:

That's actually pretty cool, and a massive improvement over the finicky drag-handles we have currently. Maybe I could even stop using MechJeb just to get a node where I want it. Once I have a non-broken >1.3 release to play that is.

Still no GNU\Linux joystick support though, so still no DLC purchase from me. Mental note to never buy another Squad product as they are apt to randomly break and never be fixed remains.

13 hours ago, MechBFP said:

I also spy with my little eye the changes to the UI regarding ASL or AGL for the altimeter. 

Well spotted! :cool:

12 hours ago, Loskene said:

I like the final choice for the altimeter mode UI too, looks like you took the best of every suggestion in that brainstorm thread for a neat result. Great work :cool:

Indeed... shows that positive feedback from the forum improves the game for everyone.

All in all, can't wait for this release :prograde::prograde::prograde::targetpro:

8 hours ago, jojo5144 said:

thank you very much squad !! this video is a little complicated for me in English. but I am a kerbal I will test !! very nice job . I emphasize as usual. sorry for my english. Can we hope for written explanations? easier to translate for "google trad english" :) as I think. thank you for all this work.

all the work!!! 

all the game!!! 

I transcribed the video for you. Hope that helps :)

Spoiler

Kerbal Space Program 1.7, room to maneuver, includes a new mode that will give orbit information while in flight, and assist pilots in fine tuning maneuver nodes. This orbit information panel can be accessed in flight mode, and you can see your apoapsis while ascending for instance.This mode will also allow players to select and precisely adjust maneuvers on a separate panel. It displays useful orbital information, and leaves the camera to focus on the target. Let’s see how it works.

You can modify your maneuvers trajectory as you would on the node. You can also move the selected node within its orbit by clicking on right and left sections of this circle. You can set the scale for more accurate control too. The plus and minus buttons will move the maneuver node forward and back and orbit. In the fine tune node tab, you can enter numeric values for even more exact tuning. Your basic orbital information is displayed here. You can also navigate between maneuvers and time warp to the next one, as well as deleting the currently selected maneuver by using the controls at the top.

Here you can get more advanced orbital information, like the inclination, ejection angle longitude of ascending node, argument of periapsis and eccentricity of your maneuver in the advanced orbital info tab. Finally, if a target is selected, you will also get the distance and time at which you and your targets trajectory approach, and the phase angle between your craft and the target. Very useful for rendezvous.

That’s it! You’re ready to execute your maneuvers like a pro. Coming Soon!

I second pretty much all the sentiment in this thread.

The only thing I would say is that for rapidly changing typeface, the bright green font on the darker grey background is quite contrasting and to my eyes I find it had to very clearly make out the text on first glance... whether this is colour blindness... a first diagnosis of Dyslexia or what, I do not know. It was much clearer and visible to me when I took a screenshot into Photoshop and overlaid, instead, the more pale Kerbal green from the fuel level indicators from the UI just above it.

This brings in a whole new level of conversation which has been rapidly progressing in games and UI development over the last few years especially: is there potentially scope to allow for the consumer to change the element colours of the UI to combat colour blindness and clarity for KSP's UI?

A LOT of games have been catering for all kinds of colour blindness recently and it would be amazing if KSP could cater for this too by allowing us to pick the Hex code or off a colour swatch to recolour fonts, symbols and other elements of the UI. 

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Streetwind said:

Who'd have thought? Do something the community has been asking for, for ages, to a decent standard with good implementation... and then receive good feedback?! You've solved the greatest mystery! :P

3 hours ago, Streetwind said:

It's weird.  It's almost like...we only complain about things we don't like.  ...and we praise things we do like.  It's a topsy turvy world.  Who knows what'll happen next!

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Well almost at least

An exception to every rule.

29 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

We already have all of that in mods, don't get why you people are so excited about it.

The UI looks good, and it brings stock KSP closer to the game it should be.  I'm tired of recommending KSP with the caveat "but you need to install these mods for the game to be good."  Mods should be additive, not completive.

Now I can finally scratch the Kerbal Engineer mod off the list. With the actual altitude implementation and now this I basically do not need that mod anymore. Keep going at it until you render the most common mods obsolete. Credit where due.

Now do the XScience mod implementation, the RCS Build mod (wet vs dry center of mass), Transfer Window Planner and we're good.

Edited by mystik

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.