KSP Loading... Preview: Advanced Maneuver Mode

SQUAD

On 4/4/2019 at 4:04 AM, SQUAD said:

Kerbal Space Program 1.7: Room to Maneuver releases next week! Check out this new feature that will transform the way you perform planetary transfers.

Wow, looking great!  While not as advanced as the Mods, this looks great as a stock implementation for sure!  Next Docking Port Alignment Indicator? ;)

On 4/4/2019 at 4:21 AM, MechBFP said:

I also spy with my little eye the changes to the UI regarding ASL or AGL for the altimeter. 

Well spotted!  The updated UI for this feature is exactly what the community was suggesting and looks A LOT cleaner than the first draft. Looking good, @SQUAD!

On 4/5/2019 at 5:23 PM, mystik said:

While you're still waiting on your mods to be updated I'll be playing as soon as the update is complete. In the end that is why the most common mods need to be integrated. Because waiting for 2 weeks to get a mod updated is a big no-no.

90% or more of mods work on new versions without any changes. Only because "AVC" throws up big scary warnings doesn't mean things don't work; it just means they have not been tested and there _may_ be issues, not that there _are_ issues. There were only a few KSP releases which majorly broke stuff.

Except if you're using Kopernicus, which, in true Aperture Science fashion, avoids this uncertainty by deliberately breaking itself every update.

On 4/5/2019 at 6:22 AM, mystik said:

I need about 10 mods and I rather need none. I don't need the extra features you mentioned. I just want the flight data (altitude, angles, speed) and had to resort to Kerbal Engineer for this, which is never updated on launch day. So now I will just need one less mod. I still rather do the maneuvers on my own rather than have the computer figure everything for me. If the computer does it all for me then I might as well watch Matt Lowne play because my input is reduced to pressing a button (same as playing a video on Youtube).

You realize that Apollo barely even relied on manual flying? The main actual hands on stick moment is just the final descent, most of the flight is automated. Also, using an autopilot doesn’t just require “one click” because you first have to design and build your craft. 

38 minutes ago, Errol said:

using an autopilot doesn’t just require “one click” because you first have to design and build your craft. 

As mush as I won't use autopilot, I have no problem with people who do.  Designing craft and planning a mission is just as big (if not bigger) a part of the game as flying is.

Very much looking forward to this! I just passed six years (!) of playing KSP (since 0.19 in March 2013) and the game has changed and improved so much since then. Fantastic to see continued development and love for the one game I just keep coming back to. :)

1 hour ago, klgraham1013 said:

As mush as I won't use autopilot, I have no problem with people who do.  Designing craft and planning a mission is just as big (if not bigger) a part of the game as flying is.

Very true. While I'm no slouch at piloting myself, i'm better off using MechJeb to launch ridiculous payloads, or create and do certain repetitive manuevers while I watch Youtube or something.

7 hours ago, Errol said:

You realize that Apollo barely even relied on manual flying?

I don't think KSP is quite comparable to real world rockets (even if it is close-ish). KSP rockets are easier to manually fly compared to IRL and also don't require milisecond precision(most of the time). Real life also doesn't have that magic 3rd person camera.

5 hours ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

I don't think KSP is quite comparable to real world rockets (even if it is close-ish). KSP rockets are easier to manually fly compared to IRL and also don't require milisecond precision(most of the time). Real life also doesn't have that magic 3rd person camera.

Exactly. This is a game, not a sim. I rarely say that, because I usually like as much realism as possible in my games, but manually flying rockets to orbit is part of the fun for me. I wouldn't want Squad to automate that part out.

I really like the direction the development of this game is heading. A radio altimeter in 3rd-person camera mode, and now orbital data and more precise maneuver nodes! This is all stuff the community (myself included) have vocally requested in vanilla for years. And yes I know there are mods for it already.

My favorite updates of all time for vanilla include the souposphere overhaul, the 3.75 meter parts, comms, ISRU, and delta-v. There are fewer and fewer things on my wishlist these days as the devs knock them out. I suppose all I really want next some kind of stock life support at "snacks" complexity level, graphical enhancements (clouds especially), realistic rocket exhaust, positions lights (right now I have to fake it with the green LED on the small battery part), a longer contracts list, a better way to assemble ground bases, and the ability to make rocket construction sites on other celestial bodies (extraplanetary launch pads). Huh, while we're at it let's add liquid fuel and electric propellers for planes, impellers for boats, and robotic parts that can rotate and extend so I can make Transporter Erector Launchers for my Eve missions.

13 hours ago, Xavven said:

Exactly. This is a game, not a sim. I rarely say that, because I usually like as much realism as possible in my games, but manually flying rockets to orbit is part of the fun for me. I wouldn't want Squad to automate that part out.

I'd be all in favor of an in-game graphical scripting system that let me write automation programs though. Something that involved dragging and dropping decision points into a sequence then typing parameters into each of the decision points. finally stringing them all together into a series of programs that would control an entire flight.

9 minutes ago, Tyko said:

I'd be all in favor of an in-game graphical scripting system that let me write automation programs though. Something that involved dragging and dropping decision points into a sequence then typing parameters into each of the decision points. finally stringing them all together into a series of programs that would control an entire flight.

Yeah. Something like Lego Mindstorms software could be really interesting.

44 minutes ago, Tyko said:

But I play KSP to get away from my job!

3 hours ago, Tyko said:

And I would still be using MechJeb because I wouldn't want to go through that hassle.

5 hours ago, razark said:

But I play KSP to get away from my job!

You program space ships for a living? AWESOME.

2 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

And I would still be using MechJeb because I wouldn't want to go through that hassle.

Amusingly I want this so I don't have to bother with the hassle involved doing it with MechJeb.

2 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

That's great for you. I'm glad you enjoy playing that way.. I don't want the game to do it for me. with maneuver programming I'm still doing it, I'm just doing it a different way.

Edited by Tyko

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.