More planets!

4 hours ago, M_Rat13 said:

new places to explore

Define exploration. If it's "go there, take a couple of screenshots, maybe plant a flag on one of the moons and never come back because there is nothing more to do" then it's not worth it.

Aaalso planet packs.

13 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Define exploration. If it's "go there, take a couple of screenshots, maybe plant a flag on one of the moons and never come back because there is nothing more to do" then it's not worth it.

Aaalso planet packs.

Well look at Jool. You have not only Jool 5 but people also love Laythe (as an earth like), and Tylo (for the challenge). GP2 is essentially a new Jool to play with, as it's stated it would of had 4 moons, plus the asteroid rings which would be a new experience entirely.

As for GP3, who knows, but it may actually be more like a super Eve/Kerbin, than an actual gas giant, which is a new challenge itself.

But of course I can't deny that improving current planets and moons wouldn't also be great, becuase it's still more content.

Also there aren't any planet packs on console.

Add new planets.

People go there.

People don't have anything meaningful to do there.

People get tired of going there and doing nothing.

People ask for more planets.

Add something to do at the places we have, then add more places to do those things at.  We don't need new places to do nothing at.

As @RealKerbal3x pointed out it is just another empty landscape to land upon. With another sky color and the same textured terrain.

How cool is that?                                                 ....     Your answer: ..........................

If a new planet is a thing it should add something new that isn't in the game yet.

For instance a planet very close to the Sun, like a super rocky planet or a giant.

So that could be a super hot Jupiter as they call it. Why not?
Now we have incentive to travel closer to the Sun. And, we have a high gravity well between Moho and the Sun for cool gravity assists. Maybe place the new planet a little closer to the Sun out of the plane of Moho.
And, if we get a new giant outside of Eeloo then do we get a higher timewarp setting?

7 hours ago, Aeroboi said:

As @RealKerbal3x pointed out it is just another empty landscape to land upon. With another sky color and the same textured terrain.

How cool is that?                                                 ....     Your answer: ..........................

If a new planet is a thing it should add something new that isn't in the game yet.

For instance a planet very close to the Sun, like a super rocky planet or a giant.

So that could be a super hot Jupiter as they call it. Why not?
Now we have incentive to travel closer to the Sun. And, we have a high gravity well between Moho and the Sun for cool gravity assists. Maybe place the new planet a little closer to the Sun out of the plane of Moho.
And, if we get a new giant outside of Eeloo then do we get a higher timewarp setting?

I get that people want more to planets than what is currently available, over just a random new object. But you accidentally explained why at the very least GP2 is important. 

Why would you want that kind of gravity assist? To go long distance? To where? Jool is pretty much the farthest place you'd want to go, Eeloo is worse than either Moho is Dres (Moho is a heat test and has the Mohole, Dres has the Dres canyon). 

GP2 solves that, by making a new Jool type system to explore. We all know how much people like Jool, right? Just look at the Jool 5 as proof of that. Also makes Eeloo part of something bigger.

GP3, well, there's less info about it, but it could be made interesting, as it would be big, so not just another far flung Mun.

17 minutes ago, M_Rat13 said:

What exactly do some people do in game

Go to place.

Click button.

Go to next place.

Click same button.

Go to next place.

Click same button.

Et cetera, et cetera, ad nauseam.

I'd love an exploration simulator over a button pushing simulator.

On 3/29/2019 at 10:00 PM, razark said:

Add new planets.

People go there.

People don't have anything meaningful to do there.

People get tired of going there and doing nothing.

People ask for more planets.

Add something to do at the places we have, then add more places to do those things at.  We don't need new places to do nothing at.

is there really any point in KSP if you think about it? Your answer basically boils down to "KSP is pointless because it is't an exploration simulator". KSP is and always was about seeing how far you could fling your stone before it never came back. Or came back ideally. I don't think it was ever about what you define a exploration, which seems to be 'Trek through blizzards and mountains and come out half alive'. I think we should take M_Rat13's suggestion on board, perhaps improve the already existing planets before doing so.

3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

is there really any point in KSP if you think about it? Your answer basically boils down to "KSP is pointless because it is't an exploration simulator". KSP is and always was about seeing how far you could fling your stone before it never came back. Or came back ideally. I don't think it was ever about what you define a exploration, which seems to be 'Trek through blizzards and mountains and come out half alive'. I think we should take M_Rat13's suggestion on board, perhaps improve the already existing planets before doing so.

Thank you for explaining my point for me. I'm not saying we can't also improve the already made planets, but KSP is about, and I'm paraphrasing you, flinging yourself across space. Yes, there needs to be something of note at the end, but it's more about the journey, than the destination.

Of course, Eeloo isn't that much of an 'end' goal, which is where these two planets fit, being either the same distance away (and making Eeloo more attractive to go to, like Vall in Jool 5), or even further, pushing designs (hopefully) to their limits.

People just dismissing my idea becuase it's 'not enough' don't seem to understand every little helps, and instead of rushing to rewrite an entire game (and holding off on any other sort of update), it'd be far healthier for the game to grow and develop at it's own pace, and for us to go along for the ride.

Honestly if there are gonna be further planets then the timewarp system needs to be reworked. I dont think extra scaling would work because you know how it feels to time warp past something by accident. There would need to be better implementation of the auto-warp feature. Specifically continuing a high scale warp for longer instead of cutting it in half when you even get remotely close.

46 minutes ago, A Random Kerbonaut said:

I think more planets would be a nice thing for KSP.

While there are mods that do that, it's really hard to not agree that a couple more planets in the stock game wouldn't be a bad thing. 

• 2 weeks later...

One of the most common requests I see here is to add more planets. I agree. The stock system is a little... barren. Thus, I propose an expansion of the solar system

1) Integrate OPM

OPM (Outer Planets Mod for those who don't know) is, IMO, far and away the best planet pack for KSP. It's stock-alike, the planets are interesting and the moons all offer unique challenges. We even get to keep Eeloo as an Enceladus analogue. Why instead of pining for the long ago promised GP2 don't we just use the perfectly good planets that are ALREADY THERE. I've been playing with OPM since 1.0.5 and it's increased my enjoyment of the game tremendously.

2) Asteroid Belt Objects

We all know that Dres is supposed to be a Ceres analogue. That's fine. Dres is fine. No problem with Dres. But the Asteroid Belt has more than 1 object in it!. Thus my proposal is

- Add three more, smaller, dwarf planets (analogues of Vesta, Pallas and an irregularly shaped Eros called Karas, Pinios, and Gelo respectively). Maybe make the Eros analogue have some glowey spots as a nod to The Expanse?

- Randomly generated asteroids orbiting Kerbol (also finally officially rename the sun Kerbol, please) in that area

3) Kuiper Belt

If we're going to integrate OPM, then we should also add beyond Plock/Karen maybe one more planet as an Eros/Sedna analogue. We should have it be about Vall sized with a tenuous (a la Duna) atmosphere, and be a cratery ice ball

4) Real moons for Eve

It only seems fair to me that Eve should get at a "real" moon, Gilly being so small it barely counts. I think something about halfway between the sizes of Mun and Minmus in a slightly inclined orbit at about the same relative distance as Mun seems fair.

5) Other things

- I remember there being a mod that added a Gilly-like object orbiting well inside Moho's orbit as the ultimate engineering challenge. That might be cool.

So we'll have more barren planets?

I don't think more planets to visit is really going to make a difference. We'll get more excitement out of planetary features, unlikely as that will be:

• One or more planet with complex ring systems
  • Active volcanoes
  • Vegatation and caves to explore, as in Astroneer
  • Roads and cities on Kerbin
  • Active weather systems
  • Tides and floods

10 hours ago, Kerbart said:

-snip-

This. I personally find most of the KSP planets boring as they're all the same; just a bunch of rock. But if each planet had different features that were unique to that planet, then I would actually be motivated to go out there. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.