[1.3-1.11] Ground Effect

On 5/2/2020 at 11:53 AM, Daniel Prates said:

@Sebastiaz managed to build this using SXT's floaters pus tweakscale, which used to be possible and now sadly isn't. Look @Lisias, we talked about this some time ago.

Beautiful.  :)

The problem with the floaters are something on the PartModule that I need to cope, but never got the time to research. I'm bashing my SAS out in order to survive KSP 1.9.x right now. :( 

I have some ideas, however - but need to test them.

Edited by Lisias
I just realised that the way I phrased my post could lead to wrong interpretations. Sorry!

11 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Beautiful. The problem with the floaters are something on the PartModule that I need to cope, but never got the time to research. I'm bashing my SAS out in order to survive KSP 1.9.x right now. :( 

I have some ideas, however - but need to test them.

I only mentioned this so that people can see how wonderful TW is, and the colossal scope of creativity it allows. It is in very good hands with Lisias.

6 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

I only mentioned this so that people can see how wonderful TW is, and the colossal scope of creativity it allows. It is in very good hands with Lisias.

I understood. However, this is one of the technical debits that are biting hard on my conscience. :)

23 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi Lisias, you're my only hope.

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of lines of code cried out in Null Reference Exceptions and were suddenly logged into KSP.log.... :sticktongue:

Things are starting to progress a bit faster. As soon as I fix the KSP 1.9 Editor problem on TweakScale, all my efforts will be towards reviving support for classic Add'Ons on older and newer KSPs. SXT is being spinning up.

Check the TweakScale and Companion threads for details.

Spoiler

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the cross-post, didn't realize this mod had a release thread when I posted in the dev thread.

@Capital_Asterisk Do you think it would be possible to make a multiplier for the ground effect available to module manager so users can define it on a per part basis? I really want to create some alexander lippisch style wing in ground effect craft, which have optimized reversed delta wings with anhedral angles, almost like a hover craft skirt, which perform far better in ground effect than traditional wing shapes. I basically want to use MM to create duplicates of the stock wings, intended to be used in this different orientation, with a 2 x multiplier on the ground effect.

In reality they enter ground effect at a larger % of their wing span than regular wings do. The Ekranoplan was able to achieve ground effect at about 10% of it's wingspan, while most of the WIG crafts shown in this link are able to achieve it at about 50% of their wing span....I imagine just applying a multiplier to the effect would be easier than altering the calculation of wingspan and altitude, but I'm not a programmer. I love that ksp mods so often abstract aspects of physics from reality in order to  be more playable or for performance reasons, so either a per part lift multiplier, or a per part wingspan % mechanic would be fine with me.

http://www.hassanhameed.com/?page_id=1108

X-113:
ac932489_X-113_lippisch-1.jpg

WIG-Lippisch-RFB-x-114.jpg

Edited by Errol

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Try it and find out. :P It's a tiny mod. You'll be helping out by having the answer and not just waiting for it.

I realise now that it is not the smartest question to ask...;.;

• 2 weeks later...

I think this will be of interest here. Ping @Daniel Prates !

There's a new TweakScale Companion for Firespitter, adding long due support for some parts currently banned from TweakScale (as the floats from SXT). It's still on Alpha status, so please use it with caution (and use S.A.V.E. just in case). Please report any problems (and problems you will find) on the TweakScale Companion Program thread. Also read the Known Issues to avoid reporting things that I am already working on. :)

Spoiler

On 5/31/2020 at 10:09 PM, Lisias said:

I think this will be of interest here. Ping @Daniel Prates !

There's a new TweakScale Companion for Firespitter, adding long due support for some parts currently banned from TweakScale (as the floats from SXT). It's still on Alpha status, so please use it with caution (and use S.A.V.E. just in case). Please report any problems (and problems you will find) on the TweakScale Companion Program thread. Also read the Known Issues to avoid reporting things that I am already working on. :)

Hide contents

Ping received and acknowleged!

Edited by Daniel Prates

• 2 months later...
On 4/7/2019 at 10:48 AM, Capital_Asterisk said:

Installation

No dependencies, and works on almost every KSP version, just put the GameData files into the right place (yes it's just a single DLL). CKAN and Spacedock links coming soon?

Hi, the ZIP file format changed in v1.1.0. Formerly it contained GameData/GroundEffect/GroundEffect.dll, now it's just GroundEffect.dll in the root. Has the correct install path changed as well?

Just making sure in case this was not intentional.

3 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Hi, the ZIP file format changed in v1.1.0. Formerly it contained GameData/GroundEffect/GroundEffect.dll, now it's just GroundEffect.dll in the root. Has the correct install path changed as well?

Just making sure in case this was not intentional.

Sorry for the confusion; It works anywhere in the GameData folder.

On 8/26/2020 at 2:38 AM, epicfailure2020 said:

installed this for BD Armory! Better cruise missiles!

Yeah, KSP is not for war... realistic physics is not for BETTER war.

By the way, I appreciate the Ground Effect mod.

Edited by RandomKerbal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/7/2019 at 6:48 AM, Capital_Asterisk said:

A runway is a death trap designed to kill pilots who do not understand the concept of Ground Effect, a phenomenon created by communists to allow ships to fly with tiny wings.

You have created five in one of my top favorite realistically humorous mod-related introductions. Thank you!

1) A runway is a death trap

2) designed to kill pilots

3) who do not understand the concept of Ground Effect,

4) ( which is ) a phenomenon created by communists.

5) to allow ships to fly with tiny wings.

Truly epic! Trying no to wet my pants! Thank you!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.