KSP Gearbox mod!

harits

Not sure if it is what you are after, but, I use the firespitter mod for helicopter and prop plane parts. here a pic of the electric helicopter main rotor in action. note: some of the physics aren't simulated, like counter torque. No gears or janky stock KSP moving parts.

8A285E885442A3843A4B9978A0F904D0B9F59896

3 hours ago, AngrybobH said:

Not sure if it is what you are after, but, I use the firespitter mod for helicopter and prop plane parts. here a pic of the electric helicopter main rotor in action. note: some of the physics aren't simulated, like counter torque. No gears or janky stock KSP moving parts.

oh okay, i did it too! but in firespitter rotor is generate thrust, in real life helicopter rotor is generate lift, and i can't landing in autorotation with firespitter if engine died or fuel out.

3 hours ago, harits said:

oh okay, i did it too! but in firespitter rotor is generate thrust, in real life helicopter rotor is generate lift, and i can't landing in autorotation with firespitter if engine died or fuel out.

Yeah, firespitter doesn't do it right, which is disappointing. Even with stock moving parts (search KSP forum for stock propeller), autorotation doesn't work very well or at all and counter torque still does not work. I suppose it might be possible to do a mod like you want but I'm really not sure KSP is capable of doing it well and not summoning the Kraken.

1 hour ago, AngrybobH said:

Yeah, firespitter doesn't do it right, which is disappointing. Even with stock moving parts (search KSP forum for stock propeller), autorotation doesn't work very well or at all and counter torque still does not work. I suppose it might be possible to do a mod like you want but I'm really not sure KSP is capable of doing it well and not summoning the Kraken.

well, i tried it make an autogyro with Infernal robotics mod, its work!!. and i make a helicopter with IR it works, but its creating super torque wich doesn't really realistic.
i want to use gear box in my helicopter to transferring rotation from turboshaft to main rotor.

On 4/8/2019 at 11:22 AM, harits said:

can anyone make a gear mod? i mean mechanic gear or cogwheel, not landing gear. to help my helicopter work properly. 
coaxial gear, planetary gear. ETC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear

Helicopter guy here. Gears in KSP are very difficult to get right but can be done. Most often you'll have the big limitation of collider interactions per second. Too many calculations and the system will produce errors. This means rotor/engine speeds need to be low to the absurd. This means a huge rotor and a very powerful engine.

However ... you can build stock helicopters without the need for gears, if that's your thing.

On 4/8/2019 at 6:42 PM, James Kerman said:

@Azimech has built some amazing mechanical creations, including a 4 speed planetary gearbox:

Unfortunately I don't know what mods were used or even if this design still works in the latest KSP release.

oke that's cool.

On 4/8/2019 at 6:31 PM, AngrybobH said:

what mod did you use for the cockpit?

On 4/9/2019 at 11:11 PM, Azimech said:

Helicopter guy here. Gears in KSP are very difficult to get right but can be done. Most often you'll have the big limitation of collider interactions per second. Too many calculations and the system will produce errors. This means rotor/engine speeds need to be low to the absurd. This means a huge rotor and a very powerful engine.

However ... you can build stock helicopters without the need for gears, if that's your thing.

i try it without mod several times, but that didn't work. i just use infernal robotics mod. wich make easier

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.