Kerbal Space Program 1.7: “Room to Maneuver” Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

8 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Probably no. They wouldn't be "exclusive" otherwise.

Very disappointing. Squad has fallen very low, offering exclusives to certain platforms while ignoring the platform that made the game what it is. 

I was quite excited for that feature when it was announced. 

16 minutes ago, SessoSaidSo said:

Very disappointing. Squad has fallen very low, offering exclusives to certain platforms while ignoring the platform that made the game what it is. 

On the other hand, the point of the exclusives may be to kiss up to the console players because they have been treated particularly horribly, firstly by making KSP available on console in the first place, and secondly because mods aren't available (or possible at all) on console. Kerbal Konstructs and its many content packs existed before Making History's launchsites....And they have gotten far better since. The Mun launch site can be implemented far better as a Kerbal Konstructs package (with a different array of buildings and pads, and easily be something other than a KSC instance) once a modder finds the motivation to do so.

Do pardon my answer. I fear I may be derailing this thread.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

37 minutes ago, SessoSaidSo said:

Do PC players now have access to the console exclusives, like the Mun Launch Site?

The Mun Launch Site is not currently available on PC. Would you like to see this launch site in a future update? 

Yes... but i presumed that would have been obvious

5 minutes ago, UomoCapra said:

The Mun Launch Site is not currently available on PC. Would you like to see this launch site in a future update? 

Edited by Fyrem

14 minutes ago, UomoCapra said:

Please, please, no.

10 minutes ago, Fyrem said:

Yes... but i presumed that would have been obvious

Not at all obvious:

• Some players won't care all that much one way or the other.
  • Some players will strongly want it to be available.
  • Some players will strongly want it not to be available.

Personally, I fall into the latter category.  ;)

36 minutes ago, SessoSaidSo said:

Squad has fallen very low, offering exclusives to certain platforms while ignoring the platform that made the game what it is. 

I don't think it's that simple.  For me?  I'm glad that they haven't added it to the PC-- I don't want the feature there, myself, very strongly.

I don't view it as "falling low"-- I view it as Squad offering console players something to make up (at least slightly) for all the stuff that they don't get, and likely never will (e.g. the ability to mod, the fact that they trail behind the PC in updates, etc.)

6 minutes ago, scottadges said:

I just noticed the little icons for Ground Level and Sea Level. Like that little touch!

Yeah, I really love that.  Kudos to Squad for putting a lot of thought into the visual and interactive design of this control-- nice to see them listening to the community!  I love the way it looks and the way it works.  As far as I'm concerned, they batted this one out of the park.  :)

(And if I want it to do anything it doesn't already do, well, that's what mods are for.)  ;)

First reaction: nothing obvious broken, maybe a few mods are now little-needed. Some of the changes to engines are a little confusing. There's a few older Mods I use that I haven't tested yet, but they worked with v1.6.1 and unless some obscure, little-used, element of the mesh structures has been turned off I'd expect them to be OK. Nothing in the change-log seems significant for that.

31 minutes ago, SessoSaidSo said:

11 minutes ago, UomoCapra said:

I am kind of against a mun launchpad. For many reasons:

Just a few;
1. I get the idea of console players getting a mun base. On console I would assume it's harder (to an extend) to build, fly and explore KSP with a controller. Giving a mun pad as an option enables them to explore further and makes the game more enjoyable. For PC, this doesn't make much sense to implement as you can actually handle everything (from quickly right clicking parts in flight to flying to mapping out trajectories) much easier.

2. Implementation in career. As of right now, the launch pad is an option (disabled by default) in the difficulty settings. When enabled it gives players in early career a giant step ahead of where they should be. This has to be rightfully thought of before doing any implementation to career.

What I like about having a launch pad on the mun as an option is for many players that want to actually have a mun base but doesn't want to keep sending all the goods to there, or for people that just want to explore having a base at the mun gives them the opportunity to go further than they ever gone before.

So I have mixed feelings. I wouldn't mind if it did got included (I personally won't use it). But I see the upsides for many players to have this feature at some point added.

6 minutes ago, Snark said:

please, no.

I totally agree. There are plenty of mods available which can do things like that, we don't need to have an artificial launch site on another planet, while the consul plays do since they have no other way of getting it.

6 minutes ago, Jestersage said:

Anyway, can someone who managed to download 1.7 give us a quick report on the balance change?

For some reason, it's so smooth. I don't know why. It's a first for me :P

-- but no for real, my FPS seems to be improved a lot and I like it.

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I totally agree. There are plenty of mods available which can do things like that, we don't need to have an artificial launch site on another planet, while the consul plays do since they have no other way of getting it.

It's a bit scattered through the thread, but non-console players have mods which can do this. These mods need to be kept compatible with the current KSP version, of course, and a specific Mun base could be worked out. Maybe an option to pay a maintenance cost rather than fly specific re-supply missions would work. The Kerbals have a lot of infrastructure that we never see.. It's in some of the same territory as Mech-Jeb. I don't get as much fun out of the manual piloting.

1 minute ago, damonvv said:

For some reason, it's so smooth. I don't know why. It's a first for me :P

-- but no for real, my FPS seems to be improved a lot and I like it.

I can't download 1.7 Because I am at work right now, and I want to know more about this:

Rebalanced the following engines: Twitch, Spark, Place-Anywhere 7, RV-105 RCS,Vernor.  

2 minutes ago, Jestersage said:

I can't download 1.7 Because I am at work right now, and I want to know more about this:

Rebalanced the following engines: Twitch, Spark, Place-Anywhere 7, RV-105 RCS,Vernor.  

I rarely use stock parts so I have no idea :D :blush:

8 minutes ago, Jestersage said:

Looking at the stock parts in-game compared to the Wiki's old articles about pre 1.7 versions, it seems like the Twitch got a slight boost to atmospheric thrust.  The Spider received no changes in thrust, neither did the Ant. Rather, the Ant received a tiny downgrade in atmospheric thrust.  Every engine that was re balanced got a reduction in price, or at least that's what it looks like from a quick glance. Also, some parts (the RV-105 in particular) got a weight reduction.

Edited by JammedDiskDrive

20 minutes ago, Jestersage said:

Anyway, can someone who managed to download 1.7 give us a quick report on the balance change?

RCS parts got a bit lighter.  Spark got a bit heavier.  Twitch got buffed slightly.  I hardly ever use the Vernor myself, so perhaps someone else could comment on that one.

49 minutes ago, UomoCapra said:

No thanks.  

I do think Woomerang could use a facelift to bring it up to par with Dessert though.   

8 minutes ago, Jestersage said:

I compared the .cfg files for the Twitch and didn't find anything that looked as though it would affect the performance. Could have missed something significant, but things like the thrust and atmosphere curve hadn't changed.