Kerbal Space Program 1.7: “Room to Maneuver” Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

20 minutes ago, Maxsimal said:

Devblog has been posted - 

First off, I understand where you are coming from.

I think one of the reason why some of us are not happy with the Spark/Cub change (back in 1.6) is due to the fact that SuperDraco, which would have been represented as a radial engine, is a OP  TWR engine; and seeing that many people are trying to Make Dragon/DragonV2...

I think if you create an engine with horrible ASL (SuperDraco is only 235s (SL)) but OP TWR, people will be fine. (Draco don't need to be made as Twitch will do the job.) Even if you make it DLC, we will ask you to take our money.

Edited by Jestersage

1 hour ago, UomoCapra said:

The Mun Launch Site is not currently available on PC. Would you like to see this launch site in a future update? 

How about the ability to establish new Launch Sites in general?

Could require these to have vehicle requirements in career mode, i.e. need a certain tonnage of vehicles at the site with power generation, so many Kerbals, ISRU etc

27 minutes ago, Maxsimal said:

@Maxsimal, seeing as you're the go-to rebalance guy for KSP now, would you ever consider looking into a "balance" issue (its more like an oversight at the part making stage of the creators not putting their origins in the right place or adding in a correct CoM offset in the config)... but here: https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/20840. A lot of the engines in the game, old and new, have their CoM's in completely the wrong place being at the top node centre. I guess changing these to reflect their actual CoM would technically be a part 'rebalance'.

The Mun Launch Site is not currently available on PC. Would you like to see this launch site in a future update? 

No thank you...not interested in cheating my way to the Mun. 

If you do add it please let me turn it off in settings. I never want it to appear in my game in the launcher menu or in the map mode.

2 hours ago, SessoSaidSo said:

Do PC players now have access to the console exclusives, like the Mun Launch Site?

I think you mean the only console exclusive, the Mun launch site. And the answer is no unless I'm very mistaken.

Oh there's the for sure answer.

I would, yes.

5 minutes ago, Tyko said:

No thank you...not interested in cheating my way to the Mun. 

If you do add it please let me turn it off in settings. I never want it to appear in my game in the launcher menu or in the map mode.

I honestly couldn't agree more, it just doesn't feel right to do something like that in the game. Lifting from Kerbin is a big part of the fun of playing this game.

I also love the new skybox, the old one was kinda crappy. Loving these other new features as well. I feel like the KSP team is doing a great job with the way they're taking the game, these neat features make the game very comfortable to play. I do kind of wish that they could look into adding stuff to do in planets and moons, landing there is pretty boring as there's not much to really make you explore and use rovers, install bases and add orbiting probes. That would be awesome.

Am I doing something wrong, can you not edit the maneuver node in flight view? As soon as I close the map the maneuver node panel goes away. That seems like an odd decision, with the orbital info right there you could easily edit the maneuver node in flight view, so I don't see why the UI would not allow this.

Also, to whoever was asking about the orbital parameter UI not updating every frame, it doesn't. It seems to update about every 3 or 4 frames, though I'm not sure if this is based on the number of frames in between or the time passed. The only good way to verify this is to run the game in the Unity debugger, it's pretty obvious when the UI updates that information. Now if only the same thing could be done for the deltaV info panels (those UI updates generate a lot of garbage allocations).

29 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

@Maxsimal, seeing as you're the go-to rebalance guy for KSP now, would you ever consider looking into a "balance" issue (its more like an oversight at the part making stage of the creators not putting their origins in the right place or adding in a correct CoM offset in the config)... but here: https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/20840. A lot of the engines in the game, old and new, have their CoM's in completely the wrong place being at the top node centre. I guess changing these to reflect their actual CoM would technically be a part 'rebalance'.

I'm not opposed to looking at any part fixes.  There are a quite a few already on my list, but we've also got a lot of plates spinning.  

So no promises, but thanks for making us aware of the issue.

1 minute ago, Maxsimal said:

I'm not opposed to looking at any part fixes.

That's great to hear... existing craft files be damned! If a part is 'broken' and could be fixed, it would be great for it to be 'fixed' even if it meant the playerbase has to adapt to the newly correct part.

Its refreshing to hear that you're not scared of making changes! :D 

12 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

That's great to hear... existing craft files be damned! If a part is 'broken' and could be fixed, it would be great for it to be 'fixed' even if it meant the playerbase has to adapt to the newly correct part.

Yeah I'll never understand the people who bought a game where 90% of the fun is building rocket ships, when a game change makes them build more rocket ships.

im happy with this update.  The orbital info is neat, and the skybox is actually good enough that ive disabled texture replacer for now (after using it for ages).

The rest of the update is purely nice to see, even if it pales in comparison to the skybox (which was one of my 2 biggest visual complains).  Now if we can get a sunflare that doesnt suck (the stock one doesnt look anything like something out of a sci-fi vid) ill be 100% satisfied with stock + SciFiVE as my only absolute must visual mod.

But yeah, i do like the new engines (which actually glow properly), and the few bug fixes aint bad (maybee now i can actually use the bomb bays to deploy solar paneled rovers out of (had to use some external mount dropships which made it hard to land on many worlds).

2 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

No thank you.  However, if it were to be included, I would ask that it be a toggle in the settings, separate from the other launch sites like Dessert and Woomerang. :)

On 4/9/2019 at 3:32 AM, UomoCapra said:

Fix Mk3 cargo bay registering collisions and blowing up parts of vessels inside them.

Despite this being intended behavior and not a bug, I can't express my gratitude that it was changed.  I was able to successfully drive my test rover through my test tunnel several times at various speeds.  Nothing exploded from invisible walls!  It was incredible!  It only took a year, but I can finally move on from 1.3.1!  Glorious days!

3 hours ago, SessoSaidSo said:

Very disappointing. Squad has fallen very low, offering exclusives to certain platforms while ignoring the platform that made the game what it is. 

I was quite excited for that feature when it was announced. 

Umm...you do realize you're posting in a thread about the PC exclusive 1.7 update?  An update exclusively for the platform that made the game what it is?

2 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

No.

Edited by klgraham1013

50 minutes ago, Maxsimal said:

So no promises, but thanks for making us aware of the issue.

Please dont take this the wrong way; I’m not trying to be a jerk.  

The 12 upvotes didn’t make you guys aware of it?   Users were semi-recently told to vote more on the bugtracker to bring items to dev’s attention and help prioritize things.  12 upvotes makes that entry tied for 11th place in most upvoted bugs.   What more, other then @ing individual developers in the forums and linking you specific pet peve bugs, can we do to make you aware of these issues?

1 hour ago, Maxsimal said:

Impact Tolerance: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You know one of the things that's got me interested in KSP was all the parts with "off-label" uses--The things that make you say, "Oh, that's odd, what can I get away with by using this?!?" RCS thrusters with stupidly-high impact tolerances are some of those. This change will necessitate a redesign of every vacuum rover I've built in the last several years, and will probably cripple everyone's Space/Seaplanes by ensuring that ventral RCS blocks get destroyed during takeoff and landing. Lightweight stock combat missiles are now ineffective as well.

If we're going to continue creeping towards "realism/literalism", all non-structural parts should have impact tolerances of 5m/s or less..because that'll result in so many fun and unique craft. /s

I've been a stock parts purist for a long time, but I've finally reached the point where I would fully support a developing and hyping a community balance pack, intended to supplant stock as the preferred version for the majority of players. Nertea's Restock would be a wonderful keystone to build this around. I'm sure takeovers like that have been done for other games, but I'm not conversant enough in gaming culture to come up with examples. If anyone knows of such a situation, please PM me, so as not to get the thread redacted for a derailing.

14 minutes ago, klesh said:

Please dont take this the wrong way; I’m not trying to be a jerk.  

The 12 upvotes didn’t make you guys aware of it?   Users were semi-recently told to vote more on the bugtracker to bring items to dev’s attention and help prioritize things.  12 upvotes makes that entry tied for 11th place in most upvoted bugs.   What more, other then @ing individual developers in the forums and linking you specific pet peve bugs, can we do to make you aware of these issues?

Hey.  I'm usually the negative Nancy, but you beat me to it!

Just now, klgraham1013 said:

Hey.  I'm usually the negative Nancy, but you beat me to it!

Don't call me Shirley!  I mean Nancy!  ;)

I'm really not trying to be negative, but I'm often that way. This was an honest question.

I do like the new skybox quite a bit.  Zooming in while looking through an IVA window reveals many many faint stars that you don't see at first.  Well done, to be sure.

18 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Despite this being intended behavior and not a bug, I can't express my gratitude that it was changed.  I was able to successfully drive my test rover through my test tunnel several times at various speeds.  Nothing exploded from invisible walls!  It was incredible!  It only took a year, but I can finally move on from 1.3.1!  Glorious days!

Indeed everything was behaving as intended. Except for Unity. Which was misbehaving. I had not lost sight of the reported bug at any stage. But it just had to be prioritized against everything else. But in the end, we managed to track down where the problem was actually occurring - and was indeed Unity misbehaving and going back to the last Unity upgrade we did.
The end result is a work around was found and the part is now more usable.

1 minute ago, JPLRepo said:

Indeed everything was behaving as intended. Except for Unity. Which was misbehaving.

Everything is working as intended....except the things that aren't. :wink:

Jokes aside.  (Sarcasm is my default nature.)  I'm just glad you weren't actually ignoring the behavior.  You must understand how frustrating it can be to feel like you're shouting into the emptiness of space.  I almost gave up on you guys several times.  I've spent some 7 years following this game.  It's consumed so much of my life.  To feel like bugs were being ignored; that the game wasn't going in the right direction.  It hurt more than it should have.  I was ready to stick with 1.3.1, take my ball, and go home.  Now we have the long needed art revamp.  There's a dv indicator.  ...and now more and more information displayed.  ...and a precision maneuver tool!?  As I said in another thread, you're making me believe again.  ...and right as I was just about to lose hope and even leave the forum.  It's strange how we get attached to such things.

Keep it up.

7e3.jpg

Nice work guys, I'm very impressed with the direction KSP has taken of late.   Keep it up. 

On a moderation side note folks, I see a lot of discussion about the Mun Launch site, which currently only on the Console version.  This feature is not available in the 1.7 PC version, which this thread is dedicated to.   We have a very robust discussion about the Mun Launch Site in this thread, please direct your comments about it there.  Future discussion here will most likely be merged into it.