Kerbal Space Program 1.7: “Room to Maneuver” Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

Noticed this as well.

I'm glad it's just not me. I've actually re-tried 1.7 on a new HDD partition as I did for 1.3 I think it was....no difference in performance.....its so painfull to even get past the start menu.

What I do think what is weird but amazing is that on the launch pad (When you launch at the right time), you can see Minmus in the sky! EVEN IN MIDDAY!!!!!

It is cool with the new HD backgrounds that we can see better in KSP.

Before

were-closer-than-ever.png?w=685

After

image-18.png?w=1000

I also got  better :cool:

8 hours ago, maceemiller said:

I'm glad it's just not me. I've actually re-tried 1.7 on a new HDD partition as I did for 1.3 I think it was....no difference in performance.....its so painfull to even get past the start menu.

For me, KSP performance has never been the same from version 1.5.1 and on. Version 1.4.3 remains my favorite version for overall smoothness and speed.

Edited by MikeO89

41 minutes ago, MikeO89 said:

For me, KSP performance has never been the same from version 1.5.1 and on. Version 1.4.3 remains my favorite version for overall smoothness and speed.

What killed performance from my experience is the dV calculation thing, especially if you have ships with large numbers of engines.

Im running 1.7 and i have no issues at all despite modding its visually to crazy levels, running SciFiVE, scatterer, KS3P, and a few others i dont really remember too well. 

nQmlAr6.png

That shipyard despite being close to 1000 parts (with a docked frigate) has almost no real lag issues.  Yeah game slows a bit vs a simple ship all alone, but at least its playable unlike with dV enabled.

To disable dV calcs (and get rid of the freezing when flying larger ships) go into the settings.cfg and set DELTAV_CALCULATIONS_ENABLED = False.  This should fix all performance issues ever since that feature was intorduced.  It sucks since it is a neat feature, but the fact that it brings the game down to a crawl makes it not worth using until its debugged properly.

30 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

To disable dV calcs (and get rid of the freezing when flying larger ships) go into the settings.cfg and set DELTAV_CALCULATIONS_ENABLED = False.  This should fix all performance issues ever since that feature was intorduced.  It sucks since it is a neat feature, but the fact that it brings the game down to a crawl makes it not worth using until its debugged properly.

And the game could use an update purely focused on optimization. If some of you may recall, the early beta's of 1.2 were incredibly fast with high part counts. That is ... until they added all these extra features and never bothered to optimize again.

Great, all these new features but since single core CPU power won't be increasing much anymore, every new feature is slowing the game down thus making it less playable for an increasing amount of people.

I've bought my 7700K in 11/17. Moore's Law is dead and buried for sure.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

13 hours ago, Azimech said:

And the game could use an update purely focused on optimization. If some of you may recall, the early beta's of 1.2 were incredibly fast with high part counts. That is ... until they added all these extra features and never bothered to optimize again.

Great, all these new features but since single core CPU power won't be increasing much anymore, every new feature is slowing the game down thus making it less playable for an increasing amount of people.

I've bought my 7700K in 11/17. Moore's Law is dead and buried for sure.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

It's why I hope like heck they are quietly making Kerbal 2.0 on a whole new engine, built for multithreading, higher resolution graphics, built in MECH JEB(please for all that is good...) and a real flight physics system that actually... feels like you're flying.  

HOW DO I BRING THE TR 38 D BACK.

because

On 4/11/2019 at 10:51 AM, JPLRepo said:

copy the files for the parts you want from zDeprecated back into \Gamedata\Squad\parts folder

still makes the game replace them with the new ones!

I WANT TR38D

7 hours ago, Gapone said:

HOW DO I BRING THE TR 38 D BACK.

because

still makes the game replace them with the new ones!

I WANT TR38D

Just go into the full parst view (same screen as subassemblies) and search parts by category you want (such as tier).  They will all show up there (and is where i get my oil drums from as the new tanks just dont look good when making a refinery).

Is there a way to prevent the Maneuver Node editor panel from opening in KSP 1.7? or set it to default not open when you click on a maneuver node?

I'm using other mods still for maneuver adjustments, and the vanilla panel is getting in my way... Great feature for vanilla, but since I still prefer certain mods, I'd like to know how to keep that from opening by default.

Thanks for any help! If this should be in a different thread, please let me know.

Edited by scottadges

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know I'm late to the party, but I just got the latest DLC and installing 1.7.2 right now.
Thanks Squad for continuing development of this fine game.

Now going to try to make an all stock propeller solar Rover.  :P

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 1:17 PM, sp1989 said:

any update on the mun gravity being fixed?

What's wrong with the Mun's gravity?  Been out of the loop for too long (again)

Edited by Francois424

12 hours ago, Francois424 said:

I know I'm late to the party, but I just got the latest DLC and installing 1.7.2 right now.
Thanks Squad for continuing development of this fine game.

Now going to try to make an all stock propeller solar Rover.  :P

What's wrong with the Mun's gravity?  Been out of the loop for too long (again)

Not sure if it affects ships but you better have a ladder on your mun ships because the eva packs wont get the kerbals off the mun surface at all. 

13 minutes ago, sp1989 said:

Not sure if it affects ships but you better have a ladder on your mun ships because the eva packs wont get the kerbals off the mun surface at all. 

That's odd, I'm playing 1.7.2 and don't observe any Mun gravity issues at all. It works exactly the same as it always has for me, and kerbal EVA packs can fly around on the Mun just fine.

I can't speak for the community, of course, but the Mun is such an important part of the game that if it were actually broken as you describe, I would expect there to be very large numbers of forum users pointing that out, vocally and immediately; and I haven't observed that at all. Which makes me wonder whether it might be some technical issue with your particular installation.

Is it possible that you may have some mod issue? Perhaps worth posting in Technical Support (modded or unmodded, as appropriate)?

17 hours ago, sp1989 said:

ot sure if it affects ships but you better have a ladder on your mun ships because the eva packs wont get the kerbals off the mun surface at all. 

Was the kerbal carrying anything?  From memory the new ground science parts have mass.  (I'm not sure how much mass but potentially enough mass to be noticeable on eva).   I'm also not sure whether KSP also adds mass if you pickup a Munstone.

I feel like updates are being released way too quickly now. Not like that's a bad thing on it's own, but the recent updates (not including dlc) have been so small and hardly significant, adding little more than a few extra parts, reskinned parts and other changes. I can hardly even tell the difference between 1.7 and 1.3. And it seems like modders are having a difficult time keeping up as well, from what I noticed.

1 hour ago, Clockwork13 said:

I feel like updates are being released way too quickly now. Not like that's a bad thing on it's own, but the recent updates (not including dlc) have been so small and hardly significant, adding little more than a few extra parts, reskinned parts and other changes. I can hardly even tell the difference between 1.7 and 1.3. And it seems like modders are having a difficult time keeping up as well, from what I noticed.

One of the things you can't tell the difference between 1.3 and 1.7 is that the vast majority of mods written for 1.3 work in 1.7.

I'm not too interesting in updates anymore (I'm at 1.7.2 and skipped the latest DLC completely, wasn't interested in it). I'm finding them more trouble than they're worth when using mods. I'm not one of those who has the time to start fresh with each new update and then put mods back in one by one. I'm too old, just don't have the patience anymore. I still play 1.3 and 1.4.3 and they are both hands down better than 1.7.2 performance and stability wise. Since 1.6 and up, the performance hits have been too much for me and it seems to be getting worse with each newer version. It's like they keep adding weight to the camel but don't do anything for the poor camel to support the added weight. I think this game needs an engine overhaul or something. For me this game peaked at 1.4.3 and has been going downhill ever since.

Edited by MikeO89