Oldtimer KSP Humor

13 hours ago, bewing said:

Yes, that's the eventual point of this exercise.

Kiss that dev on the lips for me. They've got the right attitude.

It's probably easier to list what's NOT/LESS fun. If I had to summarize it: The barriers to entry to having a crazy idea, engineering it, and having it succeed are much higher than they used to be. I could go into excruciating detail on this if you like.

Any pre-1.0 CupcakeLanders video perfectly encapsulates the "Spirit of Old KSP". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Tyye4s_I4 
This would be much more challenging to pull off today.
Peak KSP for me was 0.25 + ScanSat + Kethane + RemoteTech + informational mods.

Other fun stuff:

The Kerbin Cup Mod: Those soccer balls had something like 999m/s impact tolerance, and there was no re-entry heating. I used to drop them from orbit on a big plateau with a notch in it. About half the time, they'd come to rest on the plateau. The other half, they'd find their way to the notch and roll the rest of the way down the mountain. Many hours of giggling were had. The official video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaHM8DmC84I

One of Overland's trains relying on innate part flex to hug the terrain. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qir6X0K1fbU
There are several animated GIFs of a racecar suspension located here: https://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77-Racing-R1Azi1-High-Speed-Rally-Car

How chill and how great is this infiniglide video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QumEQ8W1TLU

Edited by FleshJeb
FORMATTING

11 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

If this is actually a call to bring back the Souposphere, Hell Kraken, landing on the Sun, pancake rockets and cement water, then I think I'll bow out as I don't want to help fuel that fire.

No, it's a call to bring back some semblances or reminiscences of things you used to enjoy about the game -- without degrading any current gameplay functionality. To carefully add back some silliness without doing anything destructive. If we or the devs can figure out clever ways of accomplishing that. This is easier for old sillinesses that were visual-only, of course.

Edited by bewing

38 minutes ago, bewing said:

No, it's a call to bring back some semblances or reminiscences of things you used to enjoy about the game -- without degrading any current gameplay functionality. To carefully add back some silliness without doing anything destructive. If we or the devs can figure out clever ways of accomplishing that. This is easier for old sillinesses that were visual-only, of course.

I can get behind that though most of the things I can think of are bugs that I don't want back. I don't want infiniglide back. I don't want you to be able to climb a ladder and propel your craft into orbit.

Of the things mentioned so far, your list and the Jool platform are all I can really get behind. And any scribbles on the sides of tanks.

Well, I did get a MunCastle about 11 months ago, in 1.4.3. Not sure if I was entering or leaving the game, and it may have been put back in by a mod...

Spoiler

ykUUcLB.png

I suppose it would be feasible to set up a museum / amusement park on the Island Airfield, or another island. As a nod to the old exploding landing gear, there could be "DO NOT TOUCH THE DISPLAYS" warning everywhere. If they were touched, they'd explode, and it would cost funds to restore them.

Graffiti and other amusing marks on parts are always fun. 

It would be nice to have more Easter eggs, preferably interactive. And a career path that sends us to them! (Anomaly Surveyor Contract Pack was nice)

And I have yet to find a greenolith or magic asteroid, not that I've been looking hard...

Here are some semi-(but non destructive)-oldies...mostly from v1.1 (I chose this version because it was released almost exactly three years ago.)

Spoiler

IhKNDFL.png

Who remembers the old parachute, along with it's non transparent bottom half?!

5EZddzc.jpg

How about those mysterious light spots that people would randomly find while exploring the terrain?

ewadBlU.png

Launch clamps launched!

ZtSIe15.png

Extra large Kerbin, now with more than 280 Eastern degrees!

0IFpoWd.jpg

Umm, maybe we don't need the spaghetti...

iQjlZQI.jpg

Introducing the brand new KSPedia!

Edited by Claw

:o

Hi Claw! :D

Yep, I was definitely planning on including the launched launch clamps. Spaghetti is baked into the game engine, I am nearly certain? The parachute is a very good idea. I'll think about how the other three might fit in. Hmmmm.

7 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

I can't find a screenshot so far, but how about that glitch where you turn a corner and find that your rover headlights are illuminating an entire planet from the surface of its moon? 

This thread has a screenshot and even detailed info on what caused the bug:

Landings on the helmet. They forgot adding colliders to the helmet, I think, until 1.2.2 or 1.3 perhaps (pending verification). 

So you just can save parts by doing EVA once the reentry heat is over and fall into the ground heads down.

Chutes? who needs parachutes? :)

I might be a bit late but I think I can recall a few rather strange things (unsure how they could be used but here they are):

The first is the way the "Mainsail" engine would overheat (partly or fully, I forget) if connected directly to an orange tank (smaller 2.5m ones were fine).

The second was the way ISP used to work: Before 1.0, changing ISP (due to atmospheric density) didn't affect thrust (which was fixed), instead it affected fuel efficiency. I.e. an LV-N at sea level could launch itself and a small payload, although it would chew through fuel at an absurd rate.

Oh, I just remembered (this one should be easier to use too). The original Mk1 inline cockpit, and its purely aesthetic bubble canopy, if I recall correctly, the IVA had no windows and appeared to be completely cylindrical inside with no sign of the "canopy".

AviosAdku

Edited by AviosAdku
Thought of something else

• 2 months later...
On 4/10/2019 at 12:49 AM, bewing said:

Hi guys, I've been posed a challenge by one of the developers. And I intend to cheat by getting help. I've been playing since version 1.0.3, but there are people who have played a lot longer than that, and I need input from oldtimers.

Long time off/on player and lurker. I realize this is somewhat of a necropost but IMHO you'll understand why when you see my question.

Just this week my son-in-college and I have returned to KSP and have been having a blast. After we made countless mistakes, some of them pretty funny, we got to talking about an old forum post (we think it was in this very forum) entitled "You know you're in for a short flight when" ... basically a list jokes at our own expense coming up with the dumbest ways possible to screw up our launch/takeoff.

It's a distant cousin of another famous list of funnies entitled "Things XCOM Operatives Are No Longer Allowed to Do". If you've played any of the XCOM games (and if you haven't you really should!) go and check that out (a Google *will* find that one), it can get streaming-tears-laughing at times.

Anyway I looked through my KSP folder of internet links kept from the first time I installed the game back in the day, and discovered that my link to the short flights post is dead. I then searched here and even with Google, and came up empty handed.

Well, not completely, one of the hits ended up being this post. So I figured this would be the perfect place to ask about it.

Surely someone else remembers the short flight meme? Maybe it goes by a different name now. Does anyone know where it is?

Thanks for your patience and keep on flyin'.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

"You're not going to space today"

I remember it as: "Pointy end towards space, flamy end towards ground, otherwise you're not going to space today"... or some variation thereof. ;)

2 hours ago, Orful Biggun said:

Signs you're in for a short flight

Well, all I did was right click and clicked google search, and this came up....

But apparently it's referencing an older thread (that's pushing way back) that never survived one of the forum transitions....

Nobody mentioned Ike's Magic Boulder, which I really wish would come back someday.

Other things we don't have anymore, for good or ill...

• Pre-Unity 5 Lander legs that actually worked, as in not bouncing and not sliding, but which could be used for Kraken Drive propulsion.
  • Lander legs and rover wheels that would instantly kill any Kerbal who touched them (1st iteration of the Unity 5 system)
  • Being able to explode any fuel tank by firing a Sepratron into it (before there were separate skin and core temperatures).  You thus had to be very careful where you pointed them, unless you were deliberately making fireworks.
  • The original Mun, before procedural terrain.  It was all flat triangular facets (MANY km across) tilted in slightly different directions with all the craters just painted on.  No crater rims, no scatters, excellent rover country but incredibly boring.
  • The launch tower at KSC always eating your rockets
  • The day the trees ate KSC
  • Unexpected encounters with moons.  Nothing shown on the map but your trajectory going along smoothly, so you'd hit warp and suddenly find yourself warping into a nearby moon.  Was particularly frequent around Jool but also happened with Mun when going to Minmus.
  • The Kraken between Eve and Kerbin.  If you went to and returned from Eve at the earliest opportunities in a new career, on the way home your ship would frequently get snagged by the Kraken and be teleported across the universe.  Using different windows and/or less-that-ideal transfers would avoid this "pot hole" in space, but you could hit it reliably if you wanted to.
  • When a Kerbal died, his portrait used to say "K.I.A" instead of just disappearing.
  • Needing 4500m/s to reach LKO
  • The Duna Pyramid's signal
  • Non-union Kerbals who could do anything
  • Indestructible asteroids that you could land easily and then use as bowling balls at KSC
  • REALLY wobbly joints (way worse than now) so you needed SCADs of struts to make anything substantial.  Even to the point of building out-riggers mid-rocket to run stays from top to bottom on the rocket.
  • The spotlights having infinite range so a ship in orbit could illuminate the night hemisphere of the planet below brighter than the sun.
  • The Tylo cave looking like an artificial groined arch instead of a rock formation
  • Large cracks and gaps in the surfaces of most planets that would flip rovers.  Sometimes there were wide enough for Kerbals to fall into, to their dooms.
  • Being able to walk through Monoliths
  • The original look and feel of the 2.5m parts.  So big and clunky, so covered with rivets.  Totally Kerbal.  I preferred that to the overhauled versions we now have (and especially prefer the 1-nozzle Poodle).
  • The original Mk1 cockpit, which I much prefer to the "Lear Jet" thing we now have.  And all the pain caused to existing games when they made this change, as parts no longer fit and Kerbal access didn't always work on existing ships.  Why they changed an existing part instead of just adding a new one I'll never understand.
  • Only having a couple of Mk2 and Mk3 fuselage parts with no cockpits or anything else to go with them

On 4/12/2019 at 8:43 AM, 5thHorseman said:

I don't want you to be able to climb a ladder and propel your craft into orbit.

Just saying. You can still get up there if you're determined enough. It's very much still a thing. 
AgPmpsy.png

Getting down nowdays, that's the hard part.

On 8/2/2019 at 3:22 AM, Geschosskopf said:

• REALLY wobbly joints (way worse than now) so you needed SCADs of struts to make anything substantial.  Even to the point of building out-riggers mid-rocket to run stays from top to bottom on the rocket.
  • The spotlights having infinite range so a ship in orbit could illuminate the night hemisphere of the planet below brighter than the sun.
  •  
  • The original look and feel of the 2.5m parts.  So big and clunky, so covered with rivets.  Totally Kerbal.  I preferred that to the overhauled versions we now have (and especially prefer the 1-nozzle Poodle).

This is a great list but... especially these. I remember having to make a spiderweb just to hold some BACC solid boosters in place. Kids these days complain if their rocket even wobbles.  I built a station for the purposes of illuminating Kerbin. And I really want some more variants which bring back the charm of the original parts.  We could have your sleak rocket on which everything looks the same, or your tin can bucket of bolts too.

And the showerhead version of the 24-77. I want that as a variant. 

Edited by Tw1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.