Oldtimer KSP Humor

2 hours ago, Tw1 said:

Just saying. You can still get up there if you're determined enough. It's very much still a thing. 

Spoiler

AgPmpsy.png

This is something I hope never goes away. It's just too entertaining to build a kerbal powered glider.

21 hours ago, Claw said:

This is something I hope never goes away. It's just too entertaining to build a kerbal powered glider.

Amen!  Kerbal-powered rovers, boats, and airplanes are fun and arguably realistic as there are human-powered versions of all these things.

23 hours ago, Tw1 said:

I remember having to make a spiderweb just to hold some BACC solid boosters in place. Kids these days complain if their rocket even wobbles.

Yeah, it was good that they greatly strengthened joints about the time career mode came out or everybody would have gone broke from spending all their money on struts :)  Especially as you still needed 4500m/s to reach LKO so lifters needed to be rather bigger than today.  Geez, 4 struts per stack joint (or 8 using out-riggers if the struts wouldn't go across the joint for some reason), for EVERY joint the length of the rocket.  Plus 4 per radial stack (2 to the center and 2 to the adjacent radial stack).  It was not uncommon for your part count to be 1/3 rocket parts and 2/3 struts.

Much of the hilarity of early KSP came from these weak joints.  They resulted in frequent catastrophic failures and caused the prevalence of pancake rockets which were easier to strut solidly than stacks.  And the aero model didn't care about frontal area so.... ;) 

23 hours ago, Tw1 said:

I built a station for the purposes of illuminating Kerbin.

It took me 6 stations in kerbostationary orbit, due to sun-synchronous orbits being impossible in KSP.  How you'd do it with 1 ? :D 

23 hours ago, Tw1 said:

And I really want some more variants which bring back the charm of the original parts.  We could have your sleak rocket on which everything looks the same, or your tin can bucket of bolts too.

+1  I want my rockets to looked like the crashed one on the "Mun or Bust" title screen.  And they did until recently :(

9 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

It took me 6 stations in kerbostationary orbit, due to sun-synchronous orbits being impossible in KSP.  How you'd do it with 1 ? :D 

Ye olde cart mod. The lights on the big one were powerful, and I used a few. I don't really remember much of the details,  just that it lit up half the planet and I was disappointed to discover it wasn't visible from the ground. 

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

Amen!  Kerbal-powered rovers, boats, and airplanes are fun and arguably realistic as there are human-powered versions of all these things.

Well all we need is a biomass digester and some gas powered engines/generators.

Or did you want to have them powered by live kerbals?

2 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

Or did you want to have them powered by live kerbals?

Of course, not! We will puff them first! Vaporized Kerbals are ideal to feed gas engines!

10 hours ago, Lisias said:

Of course, not! We will puff them first! Vaporized Kerbals are ideal to feed gas engines!

Oh yes, good old Kethane mod, it included the Waitnostop blender. That part was savage. 

On 4/11/2019 at 7:21 AM, 5thHorseman said:

I never actually did it myself but there was tell of people hacking parts to survive the pressure and making it all the way to the surface. It was apparently really glitchy. Eventually the devs hard coded a limit where you'd explode no matter what.

Ground was glitchy so stuff would jump around and explode, kerbals however was safe and some managed to plant flags. 

I was able to send an balloon to Jool and lower Jeb down to the surface with an KAS winch, he would bounch around and I was not able to plant a flag. 
I was able to winch him up and get him back to orbit. 
syGxvfUh.jpg

On 8/5/2019 at 6:18 AM, magnemoe said:

I was able to winch him up and get him back to orbit. 

That's epic mate! It remind me of this:

Spoiler

I've never landed a free-falling kerbal on his head, but I often found that landing the kerbal squarely on his boots made him almost invincible. I once landed a kerbal from orbit with only his boots!

1 hour ago, The Dunatian said:

I've never landed a free-falling kerbal on his head, but I often found that landing the kerbal squarely on his boots made him almost invincible. I once landed a kerbal from orbit with only his boots!

Yeah, back before re-entry heating, it was possible to fly Kerbals home on EVA alone from MInmus and Gilly.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.