K3rb0dyn3

SENTINEL Telescope Contract

Question

I just accepted a contract which I have to use the Sentinel telescope to map out 14 Kerbin threatening asteroids over the inclination of 16°.

According to the contract, the mapping process would happen over time. What does this mean? And what should I do now, I have already put the sentinel telescope in the given orbit between Eve and Kerbin. Do I have to still track them in the tracking station or do I just leave it to do it in the background?

Lastly, what defines Kerbin threatening asteroids?

10 answers to this question

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, K3rb0dyn3 said:

I just accepted a contract which I have to use the Sentinel telescope to map out 14 Kerbin threatening asteroids over the inclination of 16°.

According to the contract, the mapping process would happen over time. What does this mean? And what should I do now, I have already put the sentinel telescope in the given orbit between Eve and Kerbin. Do I have to still track them in the tracking station or do I just leave it to do it in the background?

Lastly, what defines Kerbin threatening asteroids?

Once the SENTINEL telescope is in the right orbit, you go into its context menu and click the "Start Object Tracking" button. The rest of the process is entirely automated. You will receive a message on your screen every few dozen days or so saying that the telescope just found one more asteroid that fit the required profile. There is nothing you can do to speed the process up. You do not need to do anything after you receive a message. After maybe half a year, the contract will complete all by itself.

"Kerbin threatening" means that the asteroid eventually passes through Kerbin's SOI, AFAIK.

Edited by bewing

2 hours ago, bewing said:

Once the SENTINEL telescope is in the right orbit, you go into its context menu and click the "Start Object Tracking" button. The rest of the process is entirely automated. You will receive a message on your screen every few dozen days or so saying that the telescope just found one more asteroid that fit the required profile. There is nothing you can do to speed the process up. You do not need to do anything after you receive a message. After maybe half a year, the contract will complete all by itself.

"Kerbin threatening" means that the asteroid eventually passes through Kerbin's SOI, AFAIK.

Ok I will try that out.

I added a second sentinel satellite on the opposing side of the orbit, thinking it might speed up the process.
Does anyone know if it does? 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Jarmo said:

I added a second sentinel satellite on the opposing side of the orbit, thinking it might speed up the process.
Does anyone know if it does? 

It will in theory do so, but your best bet is just putting a scope in a fairly low solar orbit and having the scope pointing away from the sun so it effectively gets a wider FOV (not sure if actually modeled but makes sense to me for general asteroid hunting).

Edited by TheTripleAce3

9 hours ago, bewing said:

Once the SENTINEL telescope is in the right orbit, you go into its context menu and click the "Start Object Tracking" button. The rest of the process is entirely automated. You will receive a message on your screen every few dozen days or so saying that the telescope just found one more asteroid that fit the required profile. There is nothing you can do to speed the process up. You do not need to do anything after you receive a message. After maybe half a year, the contract will complete all by itself.

Thanks that worked!

Btw the deadline is 648y later and i already got 8 asteroids within a year. :)

5 hours ago, K3rb0dyn3 said:

Thanks that worked!

Btw the deadline is 648y later and i already got 8 asteroids within a year. :)

What's nice, is you'll probably get more asteroid mapping missions later and you don't need to do anything to accomplish then, the existing sentinel will map them as well.

True, except that as you explore more planets you will also get Sentinel contracts for them -- and then you will need to decide whether to move your current craft to a new orbit (each planet has its own fairly specific orbit where the Sentinel needs to be located), or whether to launch a new one.

43 minutes ago, bewing said:

True, except that as you explore more planets you will also get Sentinel contracts for them -- and then you will need to decide whether to move your current craft to a new orbit (each planet has its own fairly specific orbit where the Sentinel needs to be located), or whether to launch a new one.

Yeah ok, but how much can you get out of 2234m/s on my sentinel telescope? can I place it in an orbit of Duna or Jool, or an orbit between Moho and Eve.

A Sentinel contract for Duna requires an orbit a bit above Kerbin's -- I suspect that you could make it there and still have some deltaV left.

59 minutes ago, bewing said:

A Sentinel contract for Duna requires an orbit a bit above Kerbin's -- I suspect that you could make it there and still have some deltaV left.

Ok thanks because I just went to Duna so I am expecting some contracts about the planet.