The Light Fantastic Challenge: Build a colourful craft using lights

THE LIGHT FANTASTIC CHALLENGE

Aerospace as art...

I've been having fun playing with lights on my craft, and I wanted to see what others would come up with.  

So, the challenge is simple:  Build a plane, sub, SSTO, lander, space station, orbiter etc and make it look amazing with LIGHTS.

There are no restrictions at all on this challenge. GO NUTS!.  Post photos, or even better yet, video of your craft.

This is an example I built a while ago, but I plan to enter a new one in the challenge. (more examples under the hidden items).

vb07V64.png

n2k65oE.png

wc31ssE.png

qP5aRpa.png

Spoiler

TvAaKpx.png

ebJiehd.png

R42d2bL.png

2fW7Y15.png

vkx3vMO.png

Edited by Klapaucius

• 3 weeks later...

Is the some way (mod?) to turn off the lights in the SPH / VAB, so that you can properly see what the lighting looks like in the dark without having to launch the vessel after every change? :/

@vyznev:

As far as I know, you can't turn off the ambient lighting in the SPH or VAB. However, you can turn on the Mk1 an Mk2 lights and get a very good idea of how things will look. Just right  click the light to turn it on. With the right click you can also alter the RGB colour combination using the sliders you see pictured below.  I do this to position my lights to highlight certain aspects of my planes.  I then assign certain lights to action groups which allows you to change the colour palette on the fly.  One last thing: by default, any lights will automatically be added to the standard light action group U (the same one that controls the internal lighting for the crew cabins and cockpits.) I tend to go into that action group and remove my added lights and assign them only to a numbered action group. This makes things work better and keeps the various lights independent from each other.  For example: I may add 20 lightsL: 4 I make red, 4 green, 4 blue, 4 yellow (red plus green) and 4 purple (red plus blue). Each set of 4 is assigned to a unique action group thus allowing me to change the entire colour cast of the craft while flying.

Your two options in stock are the illuminators MK1 and 2. Mk1 is the round one and is much brighter and more directional than the rectangular Mk 2. I tend to use Mk1 most of the time, but the Mk2s can look really cool in certain locations. See 2nd screenshot below where I have put the Mk2s into the tank edges.

Also not that the lights built into the landing gear can also have the colour altered--again, by right clicking.

3QxINnl.jpg

hjeinv9.jpg

GzCPmq9.jpg

yFQS3Lb.png

Edited by Klapaucius

Definitely can't beat that multi-colour plane! Love the way the green and blue blends into each other along the crew cabins. I'm currently modifying a double fuselage box wing spaceplane (I know its kinda hard to visualise, but thats the only way I can describe it) with loads of lights as its payload. I think it'll look cool with the lights illuminating the box wing. I'm yet to overcome the drag issues (probably need an interstage fairing)  and making it flight worthy, but its definitely something I want to finish.

Your post deserves more attention!  :mad:

Because Dres needs more love, I planted this Dres Resort on Dres' surface a good while ago (Dres Awareness Challenge, which is still going strong!). It did not have a huge variation in colored lights, but it made it up in sheer quantity.

I do have to admit that this is a mission from 2016, so I don't think this should qualify for any prize. But it was a cool mission, so I thought I'd spam it here.

LbGDkz1.png

As part of the same fleet (launched during the same transfer window), I also launched a communication satellite.

1siaKic.jpg

And a space station / ship with 8 landing pods and many lights.

5eEh1iu.png

54 minutes ago, Magzimum said:

Because Dres needs more love, I planted this Dres Resort on Dres' surface a good while ago (Dres Awareness Challenge, which is still going strong!). It did not have a huge variation in colored lights, but it made it up in sheer quantity.

I do have to admit that this is a mission from 2016, so I don't think this should qualify for any prize. But it was a cool mission, so I thought I'd spam it here.

Spam away! That is awesome, and there is no restriction on entering previous builds.  Thanks for being the first eager contestant.

Just asking : Are modded lights accepted? I got some planes installed with navigation lights according to real-life diagrams.

I might also consider 'painting' a plane using those lights.

40 minutes ago, FahmiRBLXian said:

Just asking : Are modded lights accepted? I got some planes installed with navigation lights according to real-life diagrams.

I might also consider 'painting' a plane using those lights.

There are no restrictions whatsoever.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.