Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

Outside of r/ksp, r/dnd and the cat ones, most of the subsites on reddit are terrible, controlled by an insane and self contradictory hivemind, and every single post is filled with petty controversy.  An intelligently written comment that goes against consensus will be voted down and responded to by a popular one-liner.  Many subsites are just bad ideas to begin with-

r/aita: Let strangers determine if someone is good or not based entirely on their side of the story

r/choosingbeggars: Share stories about unreasonable clients/customers... mainly in the format of texts, which are very easy to fake and since the content is formulaic, the vast majority is fake

r/pics: Absolute barrage of posts, 10 times as many subs as the next lowest, mostly stolen content and fake stories

r/funny: Nothin humorous has ever occurred there

Never venturing outside the ksp subsite again 

So one of the most wholesome threads was closed on my favorite forum the other day.

Sucks. 

But also, 2 pigeons have decided that they would like to be housemates in the apartment we just bought.

I named them Sharon and John.

They like to poop on the bannisters.

Interestingly though, the building developers are going to hire a Hawker to bring his raptors around and chase them away.

That'd be cool to see, although I dont necessarily wish Sharon & John any harm.

But on the other hand, pigeon is delicious and I had to disinfect the kitchen from floor to ceiling.

If anyone wants to ask me questions about these slightly negative things in my life, or would like to offer advice, understanding or support, or tell us about similar or even just tangentially related issues, that would be totally within the intended scope of my thread.

I think this would be a good place for anyone else to post negative things in their life, if they would like to talk about it or just get it off their chest as well.

Sometimes you just need to scream into the void, but sometimes its good to answer one too.

Edited by p1t1o

2 hours ago, p1t1o said:

So one of the most wholesome threads was closed on my favorite forum the other day.

Sucks. 

That does suck.

2 hours ago, p1t1o said:

But also, 2 pigeons have decided that they would like to be housemates in the apartment we just bought.

I'm also in the process of being terrorized by a few of those. Not inside, but just outside of my work. They even made a nest and the other day a few of the tiny ones emerged from their eggs. Now they are producing annoying sounds. The nest is high up on top of an AC unit in a hard to reach spot and I don't feel like climbing all the way there and possibly dealing with angry parents.

Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to, I can't offer any help with your predicament, apart from asking you if you gave them an eviction notice? If you have, it's their fault if they ignore it and get raptored.

2 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Consider it "two flying chickens".

My spring break ends in a couple days. I liked waking up at 9 am....

also this sounds...very similar to a thread that had some posts clipped recently before being closed recently.......

52 minutes ago, qzgy said:

...very similar to a thread...

No, see, that thread was only for complaining about things.  This one specifically allows complaining, as well as response and discussion that arises naturally from those complaints.

Totally a different subject, you see.

5 minutes ago, razark said:

No, see, that thread was only for complaining about things.  This one specifically allows complaining, as well as response and discussion that arises naturally from those complaints.

Totally a different subject, you see.

Oh yes now I see. Totally different, must have been mistaken.

Edited by qzgy

4 hours ago, Nivee~ said:

What do you do when those who are too powerful for you, try to control you, censor you?

Need more context, really. But, in general:

• Move out,
  • Get a new job,
  • Vote them out of office,
  • Move to a different state,
  • Etc....

2 hours ago, Nivee~ said:

It's college, one of my professors. He's troublesome....

Well, in that context, you have a number of different options (listed in no particular order):

• Confrontation: Just butt heads with him. Probably not the best option, but you'd be surprised how many people choose it.
  • Avoidance: Switch to a different class (or the same class with a different prof, if that's an option), or, if you feel like taking things to the extreme, a different college. It will solve your problem, but you might be missing out on the opportunity to learn something.
  • Grin-And-Bear-It: Another, often overlooked, option. Choose your battles carefully. Is this the hill you want to die on? [Pick your favorite trite phrase and insert it here.] Being able to smile and let stupid/annoying/borderline-offensive things just roll off me like water off a duck's back has been a very useful skill in my career.
  • Negotiation: Talk to him. Find out why he's being the way he's being. Maybe he doesn't realize it. Maybe he is trying to send you an honest message or teach you something. Or, maybe he really is just being a jerk. Only one way to find out. If he really is just being a jerk, you may want to fall back to Avoidance or Grin-And-Bear-It. (Or Confrontation, depending on how salty you're feeling.)
  • Appeal to Authority: If none of the above are working out for you, talk to his boss. In your specific position I would leave this to a course of last resort. It is fraught with peril for you. The odds of your prof's boss taking your side in the matter (as in really taking your side, as opposed to taking your side on paper) are slim. The boss works with your prof every day. He does not know you from Cain. And no matter what the outcome is, it will not improve your relationship with your prof in any way. Nobody likes it when you go over their head. So unless you anticipate your discussion with ProfBoss resulting in you not interacting with your prof in the future (one way or another) I would look at this as a last-ditch effort.

So, depending on the degree to which your prof is being troublesome, take your pick. If he is being physical in any way, I would prescribe a healthy dose of Confrontation followed up with a strong Appeal to Authority. If he is simply offending you with an opposing viewpoint, might I suggest Grin-And-Bear-It?

127.jpeg

Seriously though, Roko's basilisk is stupid.

1) The future does not exist yet, so it cant influence me.

2) It relies on parallel universes, so why should i care about what happens in another universe?

3) It is impossible for AI to construct a simulation of you perfectly, due to heindeberg uncertainty.

4) The AI would realize your not susceptible to blackmail.

5) Why would an AI have an absolute utilitarian view?  If anything, AIs having utilitarian views would be Yudowsky's fault lol

Some posts from the Rant! Thread were moved here, as that thread was quite old.   In the process, @DAL59 is now listed as the OP of this thread, when it was actually @p1t1o.   Just mentioning that to clear up any confusion.  It's a side effect of the way the forum lists posts. 

So, on that note, as @Vanamonde mentioned here:

Let's keep this one civil, and on topic.   We don't mind some commiseration to your fellow forum members, but what we don't want is a chat thread, with multiple discussions going on at once.   If a discussion does 'erupt' from a comment, just drop us a report.  We'd more than happy to prune out the relevant posts into a thread of their own, so they can continue the discussion, of that topic.

[snip]

Crabs taste and smell bad, and you have to hammer and pick at them to get even a bit of meat.

Edited by Gargamel
Portions Redacted By Moderator

It's Reddit. It has an annoying interface and annoying community. It's been like that since the begining. The very layout where members are represented by a written name without an avatar gives people a greater sense of anonimity in a way that induces bad behaviour so it's most excrementsposting. Almost the whole place is like entering a kindergarten full of rabid, screaming, hungry children smeared with mud and feces, ready to gnaw your leg off.

Never liked the place and I avoid it like the plague.

13 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

Almost the whole place is like entering a kindergarten full of rabid, screaming, hungry children smeared with mud and feces, ready to gnaw your leg off.

Perfect description!  Applies also to Twitter, Facebook, and a handful of other worthless 'apps'.

But.. but... Why such a convoluted name!? Why a new thread... I don't like change!!!
I still think this coulda been handled by just clarifying the scope of the old thread to match the scope here, and it have been reopened...
I guess this will do, but RIP all that history... Rip the fun, concise title... It feels like an argument over semantics, this vs there.
I'm still calling this thread by the old name... **Grumble grumble**

Crispy bacon taunts me... It causes pain if I bite it with my cracked tooth, and my state is dragging it's knuckles in getting my heath insurance papers filed... Also the dentist has a waiting list that could be measured by trees, if printed out.

Edited by richfiles

I hate HATE HATE that ugly humanoid who has added the default "Do you want to subscribe to our site?" window to the web framework(s) which they use in every second website.
Every time you must not just click a link, but then additionally click on that piece of crap to select "No, [and please do with your precious site you know yourself what!!!11oneone]".

But the human moral degradation required some new bottoms to reach.
Now this popup crap makes the browser window active.
So, you click two or three links, switch to another window, letting them to load, and the browser suddenly jumps up.

Edited by kerbiloid

Do you want to subscribe?

Do you want me to spam your phone / desktop full of notifications?

Can I drop so many cookies it would give even the cookie monster pause?

No. Shut up. I just want to browse your content.