Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

12 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Where do you people buy your eggs? I swear I have never in my life encountered a rotten egg while cooking.

I haven't either.  I just crack into a separate bowl because I suck at it, and sometimes I need to fish out bits of shell first.

6 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I haven't either.  I just crack into a separate bowl because I suck at it, and sometimes I need to fish out bits of shell first.

This. Also when separating eggs, to make sure you don't contaminate all of your whites if you break one yolk.

You can eliminate all of those problems... and more... with "feggs" (fake eggs).

egg-beaters-original-32303.png

And if that strikes your fancy, there's also futter, facon, filk, ficken, falt & fepper ... and a host of other such products to be discovered!

3 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Where do you people buy your eggs? I swear I have never in my life encountered a rotten egg while cooking.

"Store bought" eggs, like the kind you buy at the grocery store have extremely thing shells because of the hormones given to the chickens to force them to lay on a mass production scale. So it's not for the purpose of a bad egg... but for the very reason stated by Geonovast.

However, I have been known to buy fresh, free range eggs from the local farmers' market. And that's a different story. "Bad eggs" do happen from time to time.

3 hours ago, Geonovast said:

2 hours ago, TheSaint said:

This. Also when separating eggs, to make sure you don't contaminate all of your whites if you break one yolk.

Yes, this is the other reason I do it. I have a child who does not like the yolks. At all.

2 hours ago, LordFerret said:

You can eliminate all of those problems... and more... with "feggs" (fake eggs).

[snip]

And if that strikes your fancy, there's also futter, facon, filk, ficken, falt & fepper ... and a host of other such products to be discovered!

Eww, no thanks. If I am going to die anyway, I want to be able to say I ate well... :D

3 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

local supermarket. And this was the first case in 2 or 3 years - perhaps a bit more.

I was used to drop the eggs on a bow of water before using them - if any part of one floats, it's bad for sure. However, after a couple years (at least) without finding one, I got lazy. :P 

3 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Not necessarily. Duck eggs, if bad, will not float. 

Goose eegs are something else, by the way.

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

I have been known to buy fresh, free range eggs from the local farmers' market.

How are those?  I've been curious, since I see them every time I go to the local one.  I like to get honey from a local beekeeper, but I don't spend much time looking at the rest of it since my father keeps a large garden and I end up with a lot of seasonal produce, but the eggs make me wonder.

9 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I don't buy them. A chicken's generous posterior donates them to me. (My dad has a farm)

My complaint for the day... 0.9-1.4 Mbps down... The upload eventually registered a tick on the speed test...
My router seems to have given up on being functionally wireless, and as such, my workshop is most decidedly without a reliable means to be connected.

That means a 144p Youtube video will buffer occasionally... :/

10 hours ago, razark said:

How are those?  I've been curious, since I see them every time I go to the local one.  I like to get honey from a local beekeeper, but I don't spend much time looking at the rest of it since my father keeps a large garden and I end up with a lot of seasonal produce, but the eggs make me wonder.

Once you have had a free-range chicken egg, store eggs tastes like... crap!

Seriously, for example, yolks are more orange than yellow. This actually freaks some people out when they first start using them. You'll immediately see it when you crack the egg open.

The taste is so much better. I do a lot of baking as a hobby. Whenever I do a butter cake or even a white cake (using just the egg whites), you can really taste the difference a fresh egg can make. Even scrambled eggs or an over easy egg tastes totally different. I always hate the winter months as our local farmers' market does not operate from October to April. :(

The ones you get from the farmers' markets are usually less than a week old. The ones you get from your local grocery store can be three weeks or longer before you buy it. And the cholesterol is actually lower in a free-range chicken egg than a commercial egg farm.

49 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

When you’re used to free-range eggs and go back to commercial store-bought, they shatter when you try to crack them...

Free range eggs are easier to bounce 

Hehe. My daughter watched as I crushed a commercial farm egg to bits. Without thinking, I whacked it as hard as I would a free-range egg on the side of the bowl.

My eight year old looked at the many small egg shell fragments in the bowl and busted out laughing. Then she said, "that's why Tony Stark never lets the Hulk make scrambled eggs!"

Okay, since this thread is supposed to be a complaints thread, have I mentioned how much I hate commercially farmed eggs?

43 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Okay, since this thread is supposed to be a complaints thread, have I mentioned how much I hate commercially farmed eggs?

Meh. We have friends who raise chickens, we buy eggs off of them when they have a surplus. They're good eggs. But, our kids go through three or four dozen eggs a week at this point, and that number is only going to go up from here. Commercial eggs are fine.

Got a shot for some meningitis strains or something. Pain during it wasn't so bad, but now a couple hours later, my upper left arm is quite sore and now I'm trying to avoid doing anything with it. Hurts. 

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

Got a shot for some meningitis strains or something. Pain during it wasn't so bad, but now a couple hours later, my upper left arm is quite sore and now I'm trying to avoid doing anything with it. Hurts. 

I experienced the same when I got a Pneumonia vaccine shot a few months back.  And now, this past week, again (left arm), as the VA (Veterans Administration) felt it prudent I receive the Shingles vaccine.  It's an age related thing, once you hit 60.

21 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I got shingles at 15.

The 'age related thing' is in reference to the VA giving the vaccine, not to getting Shingles.

If you've ever had chicken pox, you have the virus (shingles / zoster) inside you; It resides in (various) neural ganglia and can surface and manifest when your immune system is of low resistance - typically faced by the elderly (60+ years).  It takes the same neural pathway to the surface each time, so repeat episodes will always start in the same place (on the skin surface).

I've not had it (yet), and from what I've seen I don't want it.  My neighbor's wife had it on her face, really terrible, and painful... very dangerous if around the eyes.

39 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I need an office cat.  It should be illegal to make someone go 9 1/2 hours without a cat. ;.;

Never had a cat in my life. Is that a bad thing/should that be made illegal too?

6 minutes ago, razark said:

But I want to spend time with a cat.

There are hypoallergenic cats.  I hear a lot of people aren't affected by purebred Bengals (which aren't the easiest to find and can be INSANELY expensive...)

This woman appears to have a 24-hour benadryl IV.  She might have some pointers.

On 5/3/2019 at 11:15 AM, TheSaint said:

Meh. We have friends who raise chickens, we buy eggs off of them when they have a surplus. They're good eggs. But, our kids go through three or four dozen eggs a week at this point, and that number is only going to go up from here. Commercial eggs are fine.

In the house I've been living in for the last 2 semesters, there have been weeks when we've had to buy 120 eggs, just for that week. Partly it's because one of us is (was, I suppose - he's left now) a boxer, and would eat 8 eggs for breakfast every day, but still. 120 eggs.