Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

8 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

In Fallout it would also require a Geiger counter. Atomic batteries.

Yeah but this is a bloody LiPo battery...

Edited by YNM

11 hours ago, YNM said:

So today I came to the office, and turns out my laptop can't be turned on - it doesn't even light up the charging indicator. Sadly screwdrivers weren't at hand or around.

Went to a computer shop a way away, compelled the technician to open the back, then seeing nothing wrong, asked to undo the batteries and test it again.

And just like that, it comes to life. Even after the battery has been re-inserted.

I mean, how in the heck the simplest of actions needs a screwdriver ? In the past I'd just need to undo two latches and done !

Just curious if it's an older Dell.

I have a Dell Inspiron 5423 that does that once in awhile.  Will just not turn on.  I have to open it up, remove the battery, power it up, run it for a few hours, then shut it off and stick the battery back in.

The battery isn't worth much, only holds a charge for 20 or so minutes if you're lucky, but I don't want to run the laptop without it at all, since it's still a working buffer for either moving rooms or if the plug gets pulled out.  Thankfully that laptop's basically just a music player/browser for the basement, and I only paid $50 for it.

But I hear you.  It's so freaking annoying that I have to dismantle the thing to get to the battery or HDD.  The RAM is still covered by an access panel, though.  While my newer Acer does hide the battery, at least the HDD is under a panel.  The m.2 slot isn't though..

What makes it all worse is they used to make laptops so damn serviceable.

42 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Just curious if it's an older Dell.

I have an old Lenovo, they have latches.

New Lenovo, all concealed behind the cover. For no good reason.

Newer HP... haha yeah we're screwing the battery too !

What's next, glued battery like Appul crap ?

Edited by YNM

13 years or so ago, I had a job going around fixing broken Dells.  I always hated the laptops, because you had to disassemble the whole thing to do anything.  Too many tiny little screws.

15 hours ago, YNM said:

I mean, how in the heck the simplest of actions needs a screwdriver ? In the past I'd just need to undo two latches and done !

At least the screwdriver is an option. Look at how much is just flat out glued together these days.

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I guess glue is cheaper than screws...   

I think it's more that by gluing everything in, people are more inclined to send it to the manufacturer or just up and replaced it than deal with repairing it.  Why should you fix your own stuff when you can just toss it in a landfill and buy a new one?

5 hours ago, cubinator said:

Making your customer pay for a new device every time a minor thing breaks is profitable.

He doesn't need to hire engineers because they anyway can't repair the unrepairable.
So, he saves money on their salary.

The thing I'm not complaining about, is that I already got my renter's tax refund deposit pending in my bank account. I suppose I could complain that it's pending. It's a decent chunk, and I realize, I could do some nice things with it. One thing that I've wanted for YEARS, and never had, was a 3D printer. filament printers have the appeal of large print sizes, but the finished product is not really all that great without a LOT of finish work, due to the low resolution. Strength is also an issue. As a model builder, something with a much finer resolution is more appealing, and so 2K resolution LCD based resin printers have finally dropped into the $200-300 range. This is within the realm of affordability for me, AND I just got that refund...

The GOOD one, as in the model that gets all the good reviews, is sold out. The other ones that are available in that price range... All of them have a fair share of meh reviews. Even if the good model did come back in stock, Delivery wouldn't be till sometime in August. Supposedly, there's also a massive temporary discount on that good model, that supposedly ends today. Don't know if that deposit will still be pending, and still don't see it in stock.

I want... but I want the good one.

GTA 5 has a pretty good rating for Proton, so I grabbed it since it was on Steam's summer sale.  The only tweaks that appeared to be required were for multiplayer, which I couldn't care less about.  Many reports that it "just works out of the box."

Well, it doesn't for me.  I lost a good three hours last night trying every fix Google and I could find, and nothing.  I can't get the game to start.  I was in the mood for random murderous mayhem, and I'm a little burned out on SR4 right now.  ;.;

Edited by Geonovast

So, I suggested to my immediate senior if i could refine some hydrogen peroxide to 85% concentration. She whacked me, got emotional and made me promise not to even think about it before telling me different ways it could kill me.

I thought that was it. End of story. But no, there's more...

Apparently, she let it slip to someone, and consequently rumors started spreading and growing. 3 1liter bottles of hydrogen peroxide are missing from the inventory now, and I am the prime suspect. There's a DisCo (Disciplinary Committee) hearing on Monday.

It's been only 3 weeks since I joined, so I don't have any real influence in the organization. This is a clear-cut case of intentional sabotage against me. Any tips on what I must do? I was thinking of filing a complaint in HR against my senior for assault at workplace, but it will not hold any weight and it would seem I am trying to cover up my actions by diverting the focus away from me..

I just became relevant in my family when I got this job, I dont want to lose it again. But most importantly, I don't want to be branded as a thief. :(

I completely flunked my end of year French exam. End-of-year exams don't change anything (they're basically mocks), and my chosen career path doesn't need French at all, but it's still a bummer to see a rubbish grade on your exam paper :(

It was a bad night.

It was supposed to be a good night.

My wife insisted that we switch to Sprint, since it was going to be a lot cheaper.  We got our new phones, which I'm still getting used to, since it seems this stupid thing wants to set up some privacy invading feature automatically without asking every 5 minutes.  Switching also took way longer than it should have.

I also got the backlit keyboard I ordered for my laptop!

Holy balls was this involved.  I don't know whose idea it was to secure keyboards and structural plates into laptops with plastic rivets, but we need to have words.  I had to remove literally every other part of the laptop to get to the keyboard.  Remember when the stupid things were removable with a butter knife and no screws involved?

20190709220251.jpg

20190709221008.jpg

Where it really skyrocketed downhill was installing the new keyboard.  I managed to completely shear the ribbon cable for the lighting in half.

20190709223229.jpg

The good news is that they keyboard still works otherwise, and I didn't kill the laptop.  I'm posting from it.  But I'm right back where I started, except maybe a little worse, since I appear to have dribbled a small amount of hot glue into the keyboard, and now the 'Y' and 'U' keys are a bit sticky.

I ordered another one immediately, but I have my DC trip in a week and a half, dunno if it'll be here and I'll have time to try it again...

A 3D printing pen would be really handy for re-doing those rivets instead of hot glue.

On 7/10/2019 at 1:45 AM, Geonovast said:

keyboard shenanigans

Protip to everyone: if something isn't really willing to come off, don't force it to or you'll very very likely end up breaking something. Put it back down, there most certainly is something you've forgotten to detach.

1 minute ago, Aperture Science said:

Protip to everyone: if something isn't really willing to come off, don't force it to or you'll very very likely end up breaking something. Put it back down, there most certainly is something you've forgotten to detach.

Not the case here.  I wasn't trying to unstuck anything, I was simply feeding it through the hole for it that's in the backplate that goes over the keyboard.  I was applying a miniscule amount of force, it must have hit something just right and tore off instantly.

7 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Not the case here.  I wasn't trying to unstuck anything, I was simply feeding it through the hole for it that's in the backplate that goes over the keyboard.  I was applying a miniscule amount of force, it must have hit something just right and tore off instantly.

RIP

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Aperture Science said:

No, because then you put it down and your girlfriend picks it up and applies 101% of the force you were willing to impart on it, it pops off fine, and she looks at you like you're a wimp.

dang, it seems that complaint thread i started finally bit the dust. im honestly kinda surprised it didn't sooner. lets hope the same doesn't happen to this one?

(im sorry mods)

on another note a rock castle i built at the beach fell just as we were leaving the parking lot... :( 

Edited by Spacetraindriver
(i say three months late)