Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

From my experience, internet in hotels is stuck in the last millennium. They try to act as if WiFi and unlimited data is some supremely expensive and luxury service.

Thankfully, I no longer need to depend on it, since my data plan covers entire EU at no additional cost. It's literally the same whether I'm sitting on my bed or five countries away. Same thing for calls and text messages.

So, I'm preparing my dinner and while waiting for the oven to do its thing, I turn on the TV and just flick through the channels to see what's on. I stop at some beautiful nature images and the description thingy says it's a documentary called Voyage of Time. Cool I like documentaries about history of Universe and stuff.

So, the breathtaking images are on the screen, but barely any sound is coming out of the speakers. I turn up the volume and yeah, you can hear the wind blowing or something, but no commentary for several minutes, when suddenly Cate Blanchett's voice says "Darkness". Long pause. "Light". Even longer pause. "Who am I?"

"Nature"

"Why do you do that?"

All in all, the movie is a feast for the eyes and a fork for the ears. Beautiful images; well mostly. There are some intruding segments filmed handheld on a cheap 1992 camcorder and lifted from a reproduction on a badly worn VHS tape.

The narration by Cate Blanchett, if we can call it that, is a long, boring and pretentious drivel devoid of any substance or form. It feels like she's randomly opening books and reading the first words she sees.

If one would cut out the camcorder bits out, the movie would be a splendid screensaver, or a background in some dentists waiting room. Just mute the thing.

36 minutes ago, YNM said:

Define "hotel".

noun

a commercial establishment offering lodging to travelers and sometimes to permanent residents, and often having restaurants, meeting rooms, stores, etc., that are available to the general public.

I recently accepted (about a week ago, already...) to host the relatives of a close friend. Friendly and kind people but... one of them is humming A.L.L  T.H.E  T.I.M.E.  Since my birth I can not stand the whistles and those horrible hmm hmm.  I can put the music louder when she is next to me, and I still hear her horrible tunes. It's too late now, and I still have to bear this horror for five days!

fingers-in_-ears_.jpg

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

noun

a commercial establishment offering lodging to travelers and sometimes to permanent residents, and often having restaurants, meeting rooms, stores, etc., that are available to the general public.

Yeah, but like, would a motel count ?

idk, here most if not all proper hotels have good internet, esp. if they're well-known. No need to pay extra or anything.

Either their internet is good, or it's just our general internet that's bad (third-world country still, what else can I say).

Just now, YNM said:

Yeah, but like, would a motel count ?

There's not a whole lot of distinction in this country.  I would definitely call that place a hotel, but it had Motel in the name.

Everything else about the place was pretty nice.  The rooms were really clean and incredibly spacious.  Pool was nice.  The wifi was just crap, and they blamed the "expected storm".

For some reason, my daughter's laptop could connect fine, mine just refused.  She was just sitting there streaming YouTube while I could load Google in 5 minutes, if I was lucky.  I think we were grabbing different APs.

The hotel I'm in now though has great Wifi.

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

I would definitely call that place a hotel, but it had Motel in the name.

By that standard then many "hotels" here wouldn't have internet. Well they're more lodgings really.

Still, good news that now you have good ones.

14 minutes ago, XB-70A said:

I recently accepted (about a week ago, already...) to host the relatives of a close friend. Friendly and kind people but... one of them is humming A.L.L  T.H.E  T.I.M.E.  Since my birth I can not stand the whistles and those horrible hmm hmm.  I can put the music louder when she is next to me, and I still hear her horrible tunes. It's too late now, and I still have to bear this horror for five days!

fingers-in_-ears_.jpg

Do not suffer that. Tell her it's annoying. I too dislike people whistling, especially when someone doesn't know how to do it properly. Just today I had to silence somebody.

8 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

There's not a whole lot of distinction in this country.  I would definitely call that place a hotel, but it had Motel in the name.

Everything else about the place was pretty nice.  The rooms were really clean and incredibly spacious.  Pool was nice.  The wifi was just crap, and they blamed the "expected storm".

For some reason, my daughter's laptop could connect fine, mine just refused.  She was just sitting there streaming YouTube while I could load Google in 5 minutes, if I was lucky.  I think we were grabbing different APs.

The hotel I'm in now though has great Wifi.

For me a motel is something that has rooms you enter directly from outside. Hotels have enclosed corridors.

Speaking of motels, I had only one opportunity to stay at one. We booked two rooms. The one I was in was fairly unremarkable, but the other one... It had a huge bathroom, much bigger than the room itself, and in the middle of it a tanning bed. That's definitely most bizarre thing I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, Shpaget said:

For me a motel is something that has rooms you enter directly from outside. Hotels have enclosed corridors

Fair point, but yet, the hotel we stayed at across the road from Disneyland accessed the rooms (most of them anyways) from outside, even if you had take the stairs or elevator to the fourth floor. Actually, it was the same at our resort in Mexico. 

I'm afraid it was a motel, regardles of what it called itself. I would imagine some motels would like to call themselves hotels to sound fancier.

Unless you have a definition that can explain the discrepancy.

Yesterday I witnessed just how easily a fire can start and get out of control in seconds.

My colleague was working on a lathe, drilling holes in some small neodymium magnets. The thing with neodymium magnets is that when you machine them, they like to catch fire. Usually, it's not a big deal, it's just the dust that is being removed that starts glowing red hot (it is actually burning, and it's a metal fire) and burns out before it can reach even the lathe bed, let alone anything else. However, in this case the lathe table had a small pile of waste plastic shaving from an earlier job. Not a whole lot, not enough to prompt you to clean it up before a quick job, so he just pushed the stuff aside and started working.

The process of drilling is fairly straightforward. Chuck the magnet inside a special collet, feed the tailstock with carbide drill bit, blow the remaining dust with some compressed air and you're done. After he drilled a few magnets, one had a little bit bigger pile of dust stuck to it that was still burning, so he just blew it away with the air. I was sitting just a few feet away and hear him cussing. I look at him and his patting the pile of shavings with his hand. Curious I stand up to look what's going on and see the embers or some metal shavings glowing red in the pile of plastic. He's trying to put out the small fire with his hand. By that time the fire caught just a few centimeters of plastic, but his patting doesn't seem to work, so I tell him to stop and turn around to grab a water bottle I have sitting on my desk, literally just behind my back. I was gone for 5 seconds, but by the time I returned the fire has spread to a front of perhaps 30 cm.

The weirdest part was that you could barely see the fire. There was no yellow or orange glow, just the bluish part and no smoke. The water bottle did the trick, but if I hadn't had it at hand, the fire would have caught the entire pile and possible spread beyond the metal table of the lathe. Scary stuff.

One of my seniors, she is 32, almost 8 years older than me but looks 18. She has all the charm and grace of two Falcon heavy boosters landing in perfect sync. She does not seem to capitalize on her extreme popularity the way I expect someone in her position to do, oddly.

However, I always seem to lose my Zen when she's around. It's almost as if violins start playing in the background when she enters my lab. And these are not romantic violins. These are tunes of Vivaldi and Paganini, which is basically Violin heavy metal. Every second she stays in my vicinity, I have this unexplained urge to get ready for combat. She looks at me like I am prey, talks to me like the spider enamoring the fly. Deep in my gut, I always feel that she has figured out 15000 ways to end me right then and there.

She loves the fact that I am always on guard around her and enjoys making my day weird. Commandeering  my Workbench, lingering around in my close proximity, surprising me from behind by whispering in my ear out of nowhere. Two days ago, I had to put my immediate senior's stamp on one of the indents. I was about to do exactly that but she snatched the stamp from me at the exact last moment, stamped the indent herself and flung the small stamp about 20 feet away where it fell smack dab in a waste paper basket, which was not in her line of sight. She apologized immediately "I am soo sorry!! My hand slipped!! Are you free for lunch, I will make it up for you!" and then she stood me up for lunch. Although we did have dinner together later that evening and the evenings after that but she made it look like I was the one who was desperate to be around her.

My (single) colleagues think I am a lucky man, but their shallow eyesight can't see what special kind of evil she possesses, the mind games that she plays. I never thought I would meet a woman so devious that she would eat other evil women in my life for breakfast.

She is terrifyingly awesome and awesomely terrifying.

2 hours ago, Selective Genius said:

I haven't had an opportunity to check yet. Will get back to you soon.

EDIT: Yes, she does reflect in the mirrors.

Ok, now you can give a try to garlic. She might be afraid of it.
Somebody would advice to eat a head of garlic and make a breath. But I won't, as this may be too dangerous if you awake her dark rage.

46 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

Definitely Buffy S01E04.

Well, if she's the she-mantis, then she enacted her plan yesterday. Too bad I am 'spoilt goods' hehehe!

9 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Ok, now you can give a try to garlic. She might be afraid of it.
Somebody would advice to eat a head of garlic and make a breath. But I won't, as this may be too dangerous if you awake her dark rage.

It's not about her being a vampire or a she-mantis, that's silly. My primary concern is about the predatory signals I have been getting off her. Like she's a cat playing with a mouse until it dies and then proceeds to eat it. My common sense blares at me to run away, but I just can't.