Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

4 hours ago, Delay said:

Today I learned that in spite of playing the piano for 8 years I still cannot discern seconds from thirds.
Or from sevenths, I genuinely made that mistake today!

It could be worse.

I, for example, have no idea what you're talking about. Then again, I haven't been playing piano for 8 years.

Anyway, I've heard that if you use the black keys, you're good, so there's that.

(I'm very pessimistic right now, I realize that)

My permission (the Abitur) to study mathematics later in my life depends on how well I can speak, read and write Spanish now. And I suck at that language. Welcome to the German education system!

I don't know how many countries share this downright stupid way of evaluating a student's performance. I'm fairly certain however, that studying a science has - or at least should - have nothing to do with a foreign language only taught for exactly that certificate. I don't intend to live in Spain!
If a second foreign language wasn't a requirement I would not have to learn Spanish and I would not be on knife's edge right now. This makes my problems in physics look trivial, and then some.

2 hours ago, Delay said:

I'm fairly certain however, that studying a science has - or at least should - have nothing to do with a foreign language only taught for exactly that certificate.

I got stuck with French.

I had History, Geography, Sociology, Politics, Economy, Art and probably some other things I can't remember now. All in French. I don't live in a French speaking country. I am not proficient in French, and am an idiot for allowing myself to be talked into that program. Waste of time since I did not learn French (I had been learning it for 8 years prior to enrolling in that program) and those additional four years did not do much. It only led to frustration since my knowledge of the subject got graded not only by itself, but also took into account every error in spelling and grammar of my crappy French.

If I could turn back the time, if I could find a way, I'd take back those years that hurt me and I'd run away.

I don't know why I did those things I did. I should have gone with my choice of school and not let my parents influence me. It took them about 10 years after I finished the damn thing to admit it was a mistake.

The modern environmentalist movement frustrates me so much. It's no longer about the science, it's about economic reform and unrelated social issues (i.e 'reparations'). They reject actually feasible methods of clean power like nuclear and hydro and are against pretty much everything except for wind and solar. No biofuels, natural gas or geoengineering is acceptable to them, even though they're all potentially useful tools to combat climate change.

The people at the head of this whole thing have no spine. also see: https://www.acsh.org/news/2017/11/02/climate-scientist-mark-jacobson-sues-journal-10m-over-hurt-feelings-12081

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/11/01/stanford-professor-files-libel-suit-against-leading-scientific-journal-over-clean-energy-claims/

Edited by Clockwork13

Wind and sun need glass and plastic, this is inappropriate as hurts the nature and leaves a carbon dioxide trace.
Only muscular power fed with the gifts of nature.

Humanity needs a true green powerplant, and real green enthusiasts should receive the honour to be an example for others.

Spoiler

macistestrongest.jpg

Something I’ve always had a question about is how they know that the current global temperature trend upwards is unusual and caused by human activity. We’ve been measuring global temperature for under a hundred years, so any assumptions as to what the average was before then seem really speculative. For all we know, it coulda been doin’ loop-de-loops. 
Not saying the theory that we influence climate is impossible, but it doesn’t seem that there’s enough evidence to justify the politics associated with it. Unfortunately, there’s no money or power in saying “we don’t know.”
It’d be far better to control pollution because of the visible, concrete effect it has on people and wildlife. Between cities with and without pollution regulations, can you guess which ones people have to wear masks in?

Edited by GearsNSuch

2 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

why bother, it's just delaying the inevitable

otoh i would like to be able to you know, not get flooded during my lifetime.

and who knows, maybe it isn't inevitable.

On a different subject, I don't like rain when I bike. Its stupid and annoying and makes me wet. Dutch people, pls fix your weather.

Edited by qzgy

Just now, qzgy said:

otoh i would like to be able to you know, not get flooded during my lifetime.

and who knows, maybe it isn't inevitable.

On a different subject, I don't like rain when I bike. Its stupid and annoying and makes me wet. Dutch people, pls fix your weather.

Most reports say we've already gone past the point of no return, so it really is just delaying the inevitable. Not to mention that unless you live at a beach you're not going to get flooded at all, at the current rate sea level is expected to raise by 1 meter in the next 100 years

My complaint for the day is that I miss the like button, very much. I know that there is an issue with the forum that requires fixing. I hope they figure it out soon, so I can return to giving easy positive opinions on other people's comments with the click of a simple button.

Also, my Air conditioner nearly started a fire. Dumb thing is supposed to cool my place, not smoke it out! The outlet was defective. High resistance led to heating, heating led to arcing and melting of plastic. A power monitor and my AC GFCI plug both got nuked in the process. The scariest part, is I acquired this AC about three or so years ago, cause my old one was just not keeping up anymore. It was used, but worked. On installing it, it just barely kept up, but I got the distinct impression that it probably wasn't gonna last more than a year or two... Three years later, and it was in the same state. Ever since replacing the outlet and the power cord though, it now runs super efficiently. I used to have to set it lower than what I wanted to cool the place to. after the cord and outlet replacement, I let it run after testing to be sure all was good. My living room got down to 65°F (18.3°C).

It occurs to me that the high resistance of the outlet was limiting the performance of the AC's compressor, and removing that high resistance state has returned the AC to optimal operating condition... But poor performance, and not outright failure was also why I retired my old one in the first place. I'm realizing the outlet has probably just been bad for the past seven years, and it only now got bad enough to melt! Terrifying! :o

Today I went to the DMV to get my drivers licence renewed. Turns out they can't do that today because the state is updating its databases. "There are signs everywhere!" Well not anywhere on your website where I actually check for this stuff! Also, they never do the type of licence I'm looking for on weekends, which means I have to find a time in the middle of my full time college student schedule - they all close around 4:00 PM on weekdays. :mad:

Today I came back to coding on KSP. And then I realized I forgot a lot of things. (sigh).

Will be some good days until I reached that mindset from the last time I really coded something on this. :P

I miss the times when I was getting older. Being old already is a pain in the SAS