Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

So my plans to finish my circuit boards for work and deliver them nice and early tomorrow, so i'd have plenty of time for other things...

Ehh... that didn't happen:/

Last month, I had a panic over the news of Google's background software that handles updating Chrome apparently BRICKING Macs, both retail Macs and Hackintoshes. The reason I was paranoid, was I'd updated Chrome the VERY DAY BEFORE the news broke! I have a Hackintosh, and it's getting a bit old, 6 years, but it was top of the line when I bought the parts, and it still gets the job done. It's also my PRIMARY computer! I'd like it to keep working. Anyway, the issue seemed to be that the /var directory was getting deleted by the Chrome install helper software. Yikes. Just, yikes! I don't know how something like that got out the door. Due to the nature of how things were affected, the computer would run fine, until you shut it down. On the next attempt to boot, it'd fail to boot. A set of terminal commands were released to test whether the /var directory had been affected on your machine, and as far as I was able to tell, mine was fine. The test said I was okay.

It wasn't very reassuring when my computer failed to boot this morning, after the first restart since the Chrome scare. :mad:

I messed around, unplugged hard drives and SSDs, and no matter what, I could get my old backup copy of Mac OS to boot (the old copy from 2013), and I could get Windows to boot... But not my later revision Mac OS on one of the 1 TB SSDs. Nope. Nothing. Nada. After accidentally letting it boot into windows, it started whining at me about updates... Okay, okay... I'll admit... I think the last time I booted into Windows was... 2016? Yeah, that sounds about right... it was a bit out of date...

Updates. Took. Quite. A. While... :0.0:

Eventually, I got Windows completely up to date, watched a few Youtube videos and shut it down. i decided, Okay, i do need to check the 1 TB SSD to make sure it's not corrupted or something. The computer could see it in the BIOS and the boot selection, but it didn't get listed as a bootable drive. Rather than mess with BIOS, I just unplugged the SSD that has Windows 10 on it, and rebooted, expecting it to try booting into the old Mac OS from 2013... Nope. It booted into my main 1 TB SSD install, as if nothing at all had been a problem at all. It just worked. Like normal.

Also, it now correctly reports GPU temps to Mac OS. In the past, I could only see CPU temps, not GPU. GPU info was not available. Now it works. :confused:

This is by far, the absolute strangest, most possessed, voodoo, witchcraft infused Mac OS install I've ever seen in my entire life. When I ORIGINALLY installed Mac OS onto that 1 TB SSD... It failed to boot. I NEVER got it to work. the drive sat connected, but unable to boot, for a year. I just relied on the old 2013 Mac OS install on a hard drive. None of my periodic attempts to boot the SSD ever were successful. My motherboard failed in 2016, and I had to send it in for service. When I got it back, the computer MAGICALLY just started booting from the 1TB SSD, as if nothing was wrong. Well, as if it finally figured out what was wrong. I remember specifically, it got to the point in boot where it always failed in the past. An infinite hand int he boot process... Only that time, it said something about rebuilding something, rebooted on it's own without completing the boot process, and then successfully completed booting. No installer thumb drive was present. It was the oddest spontaneous self fix I think I've ever seen! Absolute weirdness. I mean, there must be SOME kind of recovery aspect... Maybe a safe mode... I honestly have no idea what the heck happened, but that's how it played out. Maybe something in the BIOS was slightly changed when it was repaired. I dunno. This install has now experienced two spontaneous recoveries that I don't understand, and has seen three years of service... If SSDs weren't still so expensive, I'd probably put this one on display like a relic! The holy self resurrecting OS! :P 

Anyway, it seems to be working again, albeit, with the Windows SSD unplugged... But that's not even the most important issue...On the bright side, I still have Creme Soda left, and that's right up there with Root Beer (Even better, cause you can mix it with orange and have orange creme soda! :D )

Spoiler
11 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Also I'm out of Root Beer.

Maybe now that I'm back up and running, with some voodoo mumbo jumbo holding my system together, I'll take a shot at Installing an even newer version of Mac OS on my other 1 TB SSD. I figure, if I install it before Christmas, I ought to be able to finally use it by Christmas 2020! :rolleyes:

Additional complaints... Apple needs to get over their feud with Nvidia. Apple just released their second OS (that's 2 years now) where it's IMPOSSIBLE to run any 900, 1000, or 2000 series GTX or RTX card, not for any good reason other than Apple refuses to grant certifications to Nvidia's drivers, all cause of some stupidity that happened a decade ago. Since I run a 980ti, I'm stuck with maxing out at Mac OS 10.13, and can't use 10.14 or the brand new 10.15. I always preferred Apple's AMD drivers over Nvidia's finicky drivers, but I let a friend convince me to switch to team green... Right as a new OS revision was released that I couldn't upgrade to, cuz Appul's feud. :huh:

Honestly, I wish I'd have waited a little longer and just gotten a Vega 64 back then. It's a dead heat, performance wise, compared to a 980ti, and Apple actually supports it in their OS. I'd seriously consider selling my 980ti and putting that toward buying a Vega 64, or an RX 5700, but the issue I have, is I think I bought a dud 980ti... I have NEVER seen he fans spin, and with it booted into Windows, I played around with both clearing fan profiles, and setting new ones... Nothing i could do could induce fan spin. Even getting the GPU temp up to 83°C. My solution all this time... Had been building a cage of case fans around my GPU. three 120mm case fans blow air into my GPU. I'm 100% sure there's something wrong with my out of warranty, used 980ti. Not gonna get much money for a defective card, even if it "*technically" works. Blows that plan out of the water.

Between aging hard drives (some date to 2010), aging CPU (mobo, CPU, RAM, and cooler ALL need to be upgraded, and it would be dumb not to use an NVME drive), and my legitimate need for an AMD GPU to keep doing the Hackintosh thing... I'm not looking at a cheap build. SSD prices are coming down nicely, but they haven't reached bulk storage prices yet, and my current income doesn't exactly support any of these expenditures at all. It's just really discouraging.

Edited by richfiles

Woke up at about 3:00am this morning feeling like death. Sore throat, stuffed nose, and horribly tired. Got a drink of water before going back to bed. Woke up at 6:30, felt way worse. Gargled some salt water, took an Allegra, etc. I'm really hoping I'm not sick- my district cross country meet is tomorrow. 

10 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Woke up at about 3:00am this morning feeling like death. Sore throat, stuffed nose, and horribly tired. Got a drink of water before going back to bed. Woke up at 6:30, felt way worse. Gargled some salt water, took an Allegra, etc. I'm really hoping I'm not sick- my district cross country meet is tomorrow. 

That's no bueno! Make sure you get plenty of sleep tonight.

3 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

And orange juice. Vitamin C is essential to killing off the cold virus. Plus it tastes good and helps you feel better. :)

3 hours ago, Dman979 said:

And yes, plenty of sleep under a warm blanket. It will raise your body temperature and help fight the invading virus. Seriously, I hope you feel better for tomorrow's meet.

I'm complaining in this post that you're sick... I hate being sick.

3 hours ago, Dman979 said:

I started feeling better around 10 or 11 this morning- it was probably some allergies. I went to a Cross Country Camp this summer, and learned an interesting fact: The night before a meet isn't when you need the most sleep. You actually need the sleep two days before. Weird but true! I'll definitely take the added Z's though.

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

And orange juice. Vitamin C is essential to killing off the cold virus. Plus it tastes good and helps you feel better. :)

I'll have it with my pasta tonight. Does Gatorade count?

And yes, plenty of sleep under a warm blanket. It will raise your body temperature and help fight the invading virus.

Weighted blanket: Check. Quilt: Check. Warm, fluffy pajamas: Check Check. A cold front came through this weekend and it's been really cold since then. Hopefully my windows do a good job of keeping out the cold.

Seriously, I hope you feel better for tomorrow's meet.

Thanks! If I get in the top 10, I move onto Regionals (My second time in as many seasons)! I'll make sure to update y'all either tomorrow or Thursday.

4 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

What is a really good 3D printer? I'm tired of paying too much for model railroad detail items...

Last week I got myself Elegoo Mars. I am still testing stuff out, but so far I am very impressed with it.

If you have a small thing you have in mind, I offer to print and take some photos so you can see if it's satisfactory for you.

I could also ship it to you if, for some reason, you see no issues in giving snail mail address to a complete stranger.

Edited by Shpaget

2 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

What is a really good 3D printer? I'm tired of paying too much for model railroad detail items...

How detailed are we talking? I have one of these, and it does a pretty good job for PLA stuff, and I'd say it'll give you bang for your buck. If you want to print really tiny stuff, though, you might want a fancier gel-based printer, soluble supports or whatnot.

Geez do I have a story to tell... SO!

Part 1: HNL to DEN

Sitting in the airport lobby at Honolulu, we hear our flight to Denver got delayed 35 minutes. Not a big deal, right? WRONG. Somehow, we had gotten a 40 minute layover in Denver, so we would have to sprint to the gate when we get there.

Part 2: DEN

Now in Denver, got stuck behind people getting off of plane, pretty sure my wallet fell out of my pocket running to the gate (haven't seen it since... that was about 2.5 weeks ago... had my military ID, cash, debit card... still haven't told my mom...) and were the last people on the plane.

SO! Flash forward 13 days to the return trip. Orlando to Denver leg goes fine, then in Denver... trouble strikes again...

Part 3: Also DEN

Now back in Denver, we see our flight to San Francisco (our last connection on our way home) got delayed... two hours. Guess how long our connection was in SFO... two hours. Heck. Now, we're panicking.

Part 4: SFO

So, plane lands, we run to gate... and we missed the flight. Crud. So, we're stuck in San Francisco with no luggage in shorts and short-sleeve shirts in 60 degree weather (Fahrenheit, just BTW). Anyway, customer service people are great there and book us a hotel (at no cost to us) for the night before our new flight leaves the next morning.

Part 5: SFO, DAY 14

And we have to catch the 6:30 shuttle out of the hotel. It's freezing cold outside (50 F) and the shuttle's running late. We end up having to eat at the airport, but we make the flight...and arrive home 14 hours after we were scheduled to.

Part 6: And my wallet...

I still haven't found my wallet, BTW. If anyone in the Denver airport on the forums found a brown trifold wallet with a military ID in it on the 16th of September, please DM me... You have no idea how grateful I'd be if someone got back to me.

So yeah. Not sure how to generalize this absolute CHONK of a rant, but if anyone could please help at least calm me down, i'd be very much obliged. Thanks!

18 hours ago, Kerballing (Got Dunked On) said:

I still haven't found my wallet, BTW. If anyone in the Denver airport on the forums found a brown trifold wallet with a military ID in it on the 16th of September, please DM me... You have no idea how grateful I'd be if someone got back to me.

So yeah. Not sure how to generalize this absolute CHONK of a rant, but if anyone could please help at least calm me down, i'd be very much obliged. Thanks!

I'm really sorry to say, but Denver is one of the busiest airports in America- right up there with DFW, JFK, and LAX; serving over 31 million people last year alone. My best suggestion would be to contact your bank and ID provider to try and get it back; this is a big forum, but the chances of getting your things back are slim to none. Good luck in finding it, though!

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

Isn't it also in beta? I tried the beta and liked it fine, but disabled it as it was buggy.

I think so.  I swear it updates every time I start Steam, and every time it updates it gets worse.  I had to restart it twice just to be able to start a game tonight.

8 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I think so.  I swear it updates every time I start Steam, and every time it updates it gets worse.  I had to restart it twice just to be able to start a game tonight.

That's why I backed out of the beta. Also, it totally failed to work in offline mode. As in, I couldn't even see my games to start them.

5 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

That's why I backed out of the beta. Also, it totally failed to work in offline mode. As in, I couldn't even see my games to start them.

I don't remember exactly why, but I had to opt in for something.  I want to say it was Proton related.

10 hours ago, Geonovast said:

The new Steam client interface is annoying, buggy, and unnecessary.  I don't need a Netflix style, algorithm-fed "Feed" to be able to find my own games.

wait, they actually changed it again? The current one is already badly optimized, and Valve disabled using the legacy ui

Edited by Guest

The version of Mac OS I am using has an incredibly annoying bug where both moving or copying files from one folder to another has MASSIVE preparation times, and sometimes it can take several minutes for a folder's contents to refresh or load. It's infuriating... Even more infuriating when you are trying to copy a folder with 58000 files, and then trash the files in the old location. :huh:

Following up on my previous post about 3D printer, this is my first print with actual purpose in mind, other than testing.

It's a mounting part for a roll up curtain that broke. The original is white, my print is grey.

Z4FYKQx.jpg

And the closeup of the hook thing on top.

grcujls.jpg

The hook feature is 3.15 mm wide (3.0 mm nominal) and 2.3 mm high nominal. The layer lines are barely visible to the naked eye in good light.

I printed two, one as close to original as possible, the other with a small modification intended to make it sturdier. The bottom was connected to the raft and supports, it could use a bit more filing, sanding and cleaning up, but that is not functional part of the item.

I'm not sure how well suited the material (Elegoo grey resin) is for mechanical stresses and how it will perform as a sliding bearing (certainly not as good as some engineering plastics), but beggars can't be choosers and I don't have any high performance engineering resin.

It was printed at 0.05mm layer height, 9 seconds per layer, a bit more than 3 hours total print time + 30 minutes in curing chamber.

Pinging @Fraston  @cubinator @adsii1970 @richfiles since you guys showed interest in my previous post.

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

My internet has decided to crap out today of all days, just when I wanted to download KSP 1.8.

I’m posting this using mobile data on my phone.

It gives you the last chance to make the game directory backup before the mods stop working.