Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

6 hours ago, richfiles said:

Well, I'd not just be making switch tabs. I'm also a model railroader... A VERY BAD hobby for anyone with a light wallet.

If I'm gonna put money down on a 3D printer, I'd rather take the time to save up for a good resin printer. N scale is a 1:160 ratio, so the small details need to be very fine. I've seen amazing results with 3D resin printed model detail parts. A filament printer just doesn't have the detail level I'd want for modeling, and a cheap filament printer would likely be even less useful.

Indeed, that makes sense.  I've seen good resin printers spit out parts that look injection molded.  I have cheap printers, and while I was impressed with how detailed they can go, it's definitely nothing compared to resin.  You can get incredibly small nozzles, down to 0.01mm (0.04 is standard on most printers), but then it takes forever to print anything.

After battling through a hurts-to-swallow sore throat since Sunday, I finally called in sick at my already short-staffed work since it was getting worse, not better. Went to the walk-in clinic at 7am, where after waiting for an hour the doctor took one minute to look in my throat and feel my glands before giving me a prescription for that classic, penicillin, and telling me to gargle with salt water or listerine. Then I spent the morning running around, getting my scrip filled, taking my daughter to work, my dog to the park, gym strip to my son's school, coffee to my wife's work, and getting RV anti-freeze (hope it's not too late; the last few nights have hit 0C. Shouldn't have frozen solid, but...)

Now I can finally sit at home with Netflix and KSP and just chill out. I think I'll watch "Better Than Us". I'm on episode 3 so far...

My car has been making a rattle noise at around 1500 RPM for a few weeks now. I think it's either a loose part in the exhaust or a heat shield somewhere. I've crawled around underneath and found nothing obvious, but I do know that the more forward parts and surfaces of the exhaust are pretty rusted up, since it was driven up in Massachusetts for several years (yay salt) before making its way down here. I think a new exhaust system is on the horizon within the next year or so. I wonder if the headers from an older EJ20 would fit on an FB25? That'd give the Fozzy some boxer rumble...

So my physics class is in a building disconnected from the main campus. It's kind of a double-edged sword, since we don't have to deal with the elementary kids (our school is really small and the elementary is in the same building as the high school), but we have to walk across a field to get to the building (Which isn't that fun in the rain or cold). Today... It got worse. See, this building has separate restrooms, allowing us to "go" without having to go (if you understand my pun). Well, we get to class today, and I see this sign on the boys restroom. "Bathroom closed to Students." Apparently, some 280 IQ Genius decided to vandalize the place, so now the guys have 2 choices: Go across campus to the closest bathroom (Which is in the gym and hasn't been updated since what looks like the 1960's), or hold it for an hour and a half. *sigh*

Now see, I get why people do punishment like this. But you don't raise the entire city's taxes just because one person decided to paint a bridge. 

This was it. I can rethink everything about my future. I'm done.
Well, frankly I overdid it with my plans after school anyway, so failing due to Spanish may not be that bad. Are there any jobs regarding physics/biology/mathematics/architecture that don't require a degree? Because I certainly won't get one anytime soon!

Edited by Delay

3 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

now the guys have 2 choices

Well technically I can think of 2 more that fall under technically maybe punishable if you take them

1) sneak into the ladies bathroom 

2) find a tree to the side of the field (if there is one...) 

Neither is really ideal. 

34 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Well technically I can think of 2 more that fall under technically maybe punishable if you take them

1) sneak into the ladies bathroom 

2) find a tree to the side of the field (if there is one...) 

Neither is really ideal. 

1) Possible

2) Impossible; there's only an elementary playground and no trees.

On 11/4/2019 at 12:43 AM, Aperture Science said:

Aircraft design is harder than it seems

And aircraft certification is harder and longer than anything.

Unless you're one of those companies which can afford to produce multiple pre-series prototype to literally cheat.

2 hours ago, XB-70A said:

And aircraft certification is harder and longer than anything.

Unless you're one of those companies which can afford to produce multiple pre-series prototype to literally cheat.

Certifying the aircraft likely means renting your left kidney for a few years to be able to pay it and leaving plans for future generations as to what to do with the aircraft because you won't be alive by the time it gets certified

Edited by Guest

Near the end of my shift I was putting stuff away. I tossed a roll of rubber (7kg or so) into the corner it came from, and it hit the (3/4”?) PVC water pipe coming up out of the floor. 

*SNAP*

So then there was a 2m fountain of water gushing up from the stub of pipe, which had broken just below where it attaches to copper pipe, where the shutoff valve was. So I had to run and tell my boss, who was luckily in his office around the corner (sometimes he’s not even in the building), so he could grab the key and hustle to the locked utility room and try to figure out which valve is the master shutoff. 
So I spent the rest of the shift gathering up the shopvacs and sucking up the tens of gallons of water that had gushed everywhere. 

At least when I apologized to my boss, all he had to say was “[manure] happens...”

If it was all metal pipe it wouldn’t have snapped. I think that was the last water pipe that hadn’t been caged off to prevent this sort of thing...

At least it wasn’t like another job where a forklift driver (not me!) had hit an overhead natural gas line and didn’t even notice. Luckily that leak never found a spark. Another time at that facility a different forklift driver broke a sprinkler line. I could feel/smell the humidity moving though the warehouse...

Edited by StrandedonEarth

So of course there are those great geniuses in every class. The idiots who think that everything they do is hilarious and so decide to double down on their noise and annoying-ness. Well, they found something new to be stupid with. Apparently, it's just so funny to hum and stomp their feet like they've been haunted or possessed or something, doing it as loud as possible. Fun.

A Bad Standard is better than no Standard at all. I just got my cheeks bitten by this. AGAIN. TODAY.

There's few to no point on hiring a Senior to do a job if the dude wastes most of his time redoing the job due the absolute lack of commitment to Quality from the people he depend on. Seniors are not baby sitters, they are not supposed to second guess every single decision from the young boys, and yet, it's what's happening to some partners around here - there are no experienced professionals on this country, we have only a few (stressed) seniors and a horde of juniors playing havoc with anything they got his hands on, as it appears.

It's plain horrible. These youngster got their way trough some critical government services already...

1 hour ago, DarkOwl57 said:

So of course there are those great geniuses in every class. The idiots who think that everything they do is hilarious and so decide to double down on their noise and annoying-ness. Well, they found something new to be stupid with. Apparently, it's just so funny to hum and stomp their feet like they've been haunted or possessed or something, doing it as loud as possible. Fun.

I hear ya. Most of my classes at school have a bunch of idiots in them, and I don't understand why they bother. It's only going to negatively impact them later in life.

The only classes that are completely free of them are my science classes, mostly because I'm in the highest-level class and the 'geniuses' (as you put it) don't put nearly enough effort in to make it up here.

3 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I hear ya. Most of my classes at school have a bunch of idiots in them, and I don't understand why they bother. It's only going to negatively impact them later in life.

The only classes that are completely free of them are my science classes, mostly because I'm in the highest-level class and the 'geniuses' (as you put it) don't put nearly enough effort in to make it up here.

Keep pushing yourself toward your niche and the 'geniuses' will gradually filter out. Mostly.

I have to complain that I have been having much better of a day than I was hoping for, therefore I am complaining that I don’t have a reason to complain!

Ȧ̴̵̢̮̜̩̟̺̪̤̼̬̞͔̟͈͇̟̤́́͆̾̈́ͭ̐̀̚͢H̢̛͉̹͍̦̭͚̦͍̪̖̳̄̓̌ͧ̅͊ͮ̀͢H̶̨̭̻͔̬̰̮ͧ̈́̏͗͗ͤ͒ͫͫ̑̿̽ͫ̅̀̚͟͡H̷̆͋̿ͭ̊̏̽̒҉͏̪̤̻͓̣̤͓̰̣́H͐͋̍̏̿ͫ͜҉̲̟̮̱͔͜͝Ĥ̱͇͕̭͈͉̳̤͖̲͉̜̲́ͤͤ̔ͨ̎̌̌̃̋̐ͬͧͩ̏́̕͟H̶̶̨̭̬̯̹̤͍̍̈́̆̌̌̄̓ͨ̔͂͌̋̅̎̈́̿ͯ̚͘H̗̩̲̣̀̒̂ͭͮ̔̽̽̈ͨ͂̎̓͌̄̂̀̕͢H̶̡̛̉͗̅̑ͪ͢҉̱̟̹͚̲̠͈̮̮͔͉

Edited by Fraston
TO complain Krakendammit

11 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

You need to think outside your bubble more often my dude, despite your 2000 IQ it seems you haven't figured out almost nobody goes to high school with the intention of being "enlightened" and becoming a junior scientist

Edited by Guest