Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

8 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

No, its a Windows PC 

That wasnt the question.

Could you start it in Linux for Internet purposes with plugging in a bootable usb-stick?

Should also keep THEM from seeing your private activities later.

3 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Ain't free, we paid $600 to the school IIRC for them 

Then it's yours, so what's stopping you from getting rid of all the blocking software (and potentially some nasty spyware)? I would look into the legal status of that laptop (are you leasing it, or is it your property or whatever).

Is having that thing a requisite for school activities? Does it come with some school specific software you need to do your homework? What if you refused paying that $600 in the first place and said you already had your own laptop? Is forcing students to buy such a thing even legal?

3 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Ain't free, we paid $600 to the school IIRC for them 

Man. The last laptop I bought for my kids was $173 on Amazon.

On 11/11/2019 at 7:55 PM, tater said:

Was making dinner tonight, and I got a call from a friend. Me: "Hey!" Him: tentatively asking if this was me...

Sounded exactly like him, but it was his brother (who I met maybe once before, years ago). His brother was going through his phone calling people because my friend died, and the service is Friday.

He died in October. Heart attack at work (industrial chemist, was stuck working night shifts a lot since he's single). I had lunch with him probably a week before he died. We'd have lunch, dinner, or coffee sometimes frequently, sometimes with our different schedules only maybe once a month. I literally almost called him today, because I realized that October came and went and we hadn't hung out---odd, but not abnormal.

$#@!

Sorry to hear that. Hazards of growing old. Now that you mention it, I haven't had anyone I know pass away in a while, I guess I'm coming due.

8 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Sorry to hear that. Hazards of growing old. Now that you mention it, I haven't had anyone I know pass away in a while, I guess I'm coming due.

Yeah, he was a young guy to have died, though (51). He had heart surgery years ago (congenital issue?). He didn't play KSP, but he was a fellow space nerd.

6 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Then it's yours, so what's stopping you from getting rid of all the blocking software (and potentially some nasty spyware)? I would look into the legal status of that laptop (are you leasing it, or is it your property or whatever).

Is having that thing a requisite for school activities? Does it come with some school specific software you need to do your homework? What if you refused paying that $600 in the first place and said you already had your own laptop? Is forcing students to buy such a thing even legal?

It's not a BYO device policy, the school provides the laptops 

Edited by The_Cat_In_Space

(sigh) Matt Lowne got (almost) all his videos down due a mass Copyright Strike on a music he got from the Youtube Audio Library.

Neither me had saw this coming, I never though that something from the Youtube Audio Library would render such a stunt. :( 

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, burn boi said:

Hell naw, ima in China and the VPN is down... what the hell did I miss... China fricking sucks. So umm can you tell me any more about this copyright strike that Matt got?

Copyright trolling from Sony. :( There's a dedicated thread to this already, it's now the best place to talk about.

I feel like i'm going insane

Can't focus at all, everythings my fault, got blocked by some friends I was just talking to for no reason whatsoever (we were talking about emojis at 10am, I send a message at 7pm and get the Discord blocked message notification).. got banned from some servers, parents yelled at me over the weekend for eating a lot of food (i was very hungry). Nearly missed the bus, got three assignments due on Friday, very tired, had only 5 hours sleep, felt like I was dying inside this morning, hyperactive as hell and paranoid as >>>>. 

Why am I like this? 

On 11/17/2019 at 7:23 PM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I feel like i'm going insane

Welcome aboard. Do you want a padded cell next to mine? You can choose the colour of your straightjacket! :sticktongue:

Can't focus at all, everythings my fault, got blocked by some friends I was just talking to for no reason whatsoever (we were talking about emojis at 10am, I send a message at 7pm and get the Discord blocked message notification).. got banned from some servers, parents yelled at me over the weekend for eating a lot of food (i was very hungry).

Anxiety. Been there, done that. It's just a big deal when you are not aware/refuse to accept the thing. You do things in a rush, without a second though and, so, don't realize the consequences of the acts. And by not being aware of the possible outcomes, when they came, you don't associate the outcome to the act neither - one of the problems of Anxiety is jumping over some needed steps on the thinking process, that makes harder (or impossible) to make connections between action and reaction.

Check your sleeping time. Lack of a proper resting night makes anxiety worse - put a alarm clock to ring at least two hours before bedtime, and do not engage in any kind of exciting activity (including action and strategic video-games) after that, you need to "train" your body about resting hours, otherwise you will just keep going, playing havoc with your resting time, that so triggers the Anxiety.

Nearly missed the bus, got three assignments due on Friday, very tired, had only 5 hours sleep, felt like I was dying inside this morning, hyperactive as hell and paranoid as >>>>. 

Quod Erat Demonstrandum. :)

Why am I like this? 

Everybody is like that. The brain is kinda a muscle - you overstretch it, it hurts and malfunction. Anxiety is one of that malfunctions.

Some people endures better some kinds of challenges than others - some people can jump higher, others can run for more time, others run faster. But all of them gets severely hurt when they abuse their muscle's limitations.

Brain is more or less like that. You need to learn your limits before trying to overcome them.

And, exactly like a runner that got a muscle strained, it's way better to get some professional help at this time.

Again: every single person under this Sun with a muscle strain will feel some muscular disfunction and will need some medical attention. Brain is not different.

Edited by Lisias
tyop! Surprised?

So I'm upgrading to a new laptop by the end of the month, found myself a good deal, decently future-proofed and all.

But there's one thing. One thing I wasn't expecting.

7th+ Gen Intel processors don't exactly support Windows 7.

Yep. No drivers available for the OS. Which means I'll have to use Windows 10.

I was hoping I'd be able to downgrade to 7, to get rid of the (in my opinion) bad UI and bloatware, but I guess that's gone down the drain now. The price to pay for better computing power.

If someone would like to give some tips on this, be it on how to debloat 10 or to make it more decent, that'd be great

32 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:

If someone would like to give some tips on this, be it on how to debloat 10 or to make it more decent, that'd be great

"Debloat" in what sense? As in, what specifically strikes you as bloated about it? It's hard to work with a general remark like "it's bloated".

As for the UI, again it's hard to give advice without knowing what specifically you don't like about it.

For the record, I'd love to help. I just need more specific information to be able to give recommendations.

Edited by IncongruousGoat

While I agree that 7 is better than 10 in some regards, I gave into the forced upgrade from 7 to 10 a couple of years ago and honestly don't mind it.

Not going too deep into the whole spyware thing, other than to say there's that, but from usability standpoint, Win 10 is working perfectly fine for me. The what's-her-name search thing is disabled from day one and all the targeted ads stuff that you are asked about at the setup phase is turned off.

What I would like to point out is that support for Win 7 is being terminated in mid January 2020 (a month and a half from now), so you are getting a new computer and installing a soon to be obsolete OS. Yes I know, options are limited and Linux is not for everybody (I honestly tried adopting Linux, but failed miserably. I consider myself above average when it comes to computers, but still failed to install network card drivers on Linux and that basically killed it for me. Things have probably changed since that time, but now I don't have time to revisit the attempt), but Win 7 is quickly going down the path of the Dodo.

4 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

"Debloat" in what sense? As in, what specifically strikes you as bloated about it? It's hard to work with a general remark like "it's bloated".

As for the UI, again it's hard to give advice without knowing what specifically you don't like about it.

For the record, I'd love to help. I just need more specific information to be able to give recommendations.

From my experience with Windows 10 computers, it seems they come packed with pre-loaded software like Minecraft, Candy Crush, Cortana and Xbox stuff - my new laptop is scheduled to arrive this week so I'm not sure what else comes preinstalled. 

When it comes to the UI (or UIx), it's mostly the reinvention of the wheel by he OS - for example, there's two apps for changing the computer's settings whereas they basically do the same thing, Settings and Control Panel. The start menu is also something I'd like to try and downgrade back to the old style. I'm sure I can't change the whole "flat design" ordeal, but IIRC there were some third-party apps that could alter the start menu in 7.

I'll likely provide more details after I actually receive the machine and get some more experience with the OS, but based on previous usage on others' computer, those are my main concerns

1 minute ago, Aperture Science said:

From my experience with Windows 10 computers, it seems they come packed with pre-loaded software like Minecraft, Candy Crush, Cortana and Xbox stuff - my new laptop is scheduled to arrive this week so I'm not sure what else comes preinstalled.

This looks like it's true, but isn't. Well, except for Cortana, but that's fixable. The start menu comes out of the box with a whole bunch of stuff in panels on the right side (I forget what the official term is), but very little of it actually corresponds to something installed on the machine. I usually just remove all of those when I'm setting up a machine.

As for Cortana, if memory serves you can uninstall that. Note that I'm not on a Windows 10 box right now, so I can't test anything.

4 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:

When it comes to the UI (or UIx), it's mostly the reinvention of the wheel by he OS - for example, there's two apps for changing the computer's settings whereas they basically do the same thing, Settings and Control Panel.

Yeah, this is pretty bad. Worse is that the Settings menu is modal - you can only have one copy of it open at any given time. Which is a bit unfortunate. Thankfully, nowadays you don't need to go to the control panel all that often, so it's not so noticeable. If it helps any, think of the Settings menu as high-level settings you need to look at a lot, and the Control Panel as the lower-level facility you go to when you really need the nitty-gritty controls.

6 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:

The start menu is also something I'd like to try and downgrade back to the old style. I'm sure I can't change the whole "flat design" ordeal, but IIRC there were some third-party apps that could alter the start menu in 7.

Understandable. The start menu itself can be tweaked a fair deal, but if you're really hankering for that old 7 aesthetic there are a couple (third-party) programs that will hijack the entire menu and make it look like whatever you want, up to and including the start button itself. This is what I did for a while, until I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb new menu design.

9 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:

I'll likely provide more details after I actually receive the machine and get some more experience with the OS, but based on previous usage on others' computer, those are my main concerns

Sounds good. I'll be waiting.

Got stuck driving out of my kids' school this morning behind a Ford F-150 Raptor. Wasn't lifted, I think, but has huge tires, loads of clearance, more than the Rover in street mode, probably similar if I put Rover in offroad (suspension then raises 2.5 inches). School has a 25 mph speed limit, and occasional speed bumps of the gentle, sloping type. In the sedan (airdam, etc), I would take those at very nearly speed zero. This huge truck does the same. In the SUV I take them at, well, 25 mph. What;s the point of having a ginormous 4wd pickup if you slow to near 0 to go over a gentle speed bump? Grrr.

( was off road over the weekend, and my car looks stuccoed with mud, lol, that shiny Raptor has the tires for it, but I bet it never leaves the pavement---if he did he'd know that he could hit the bumps at anything off of the "dead on" direction he was driving, and not even slow down, and not notice the bump.).