Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

Short lecture about German grading in school: In class 11, 12 and 13 you are given anywhere between 0 to 15 points - 15 being the best, 0 being the worst. If you get less than 5 points in at least to subjects you have to repeat the year. If you still can't keep all your grades above 5 points, that's it.

Now onto me. I have 1 point in Spanish. Not that I'd deserve that point in any way, it's mostly out of mercy, even if my teacher doesn't talk about it like that. So I must not do worse than 5 points in any other subject.

Along comes PE. Badminton, more specifically, in which I have so many problems that I seriously doubt I'll meet that margin. And then there's Geology as well, and German, Politics...

Ironically I'm doing far better in English than in my mother tongue. I'm pretty sure I'll go into the double digits there. But having a decent English vocabulary and above-average math skills doesn't bring you very far.

9 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

If someone would like to give some tips on this, be it on how to debloat 10 or to make it more decent, that'd be great

The later builds of 10 are much more usable than the early builds of 10 were. I wasn't impressed with 10 at all when it came out, but after about 1809 or so, I find it to be just fine as an OS.

53 minutes ago, tater said:

Got stuck driving out of my kids' school this morning behind a Ford F-150 Raptor. Wasn't lifted, I think, but has huge tires, loads of clearance, more than the Rover in street mode, probably similar if I put Rover in offroad (suspension then raises 2.5 inches). School has a 25 mph speed limit, and occasional speed bumps of the gentle, sloping type. In the sedan (airdam, etc), I would take those at very nearly speed zero. This huge truck does the same. In the SUV I take them at, well, 25 mph. What;s the point of having a ginormous 4wd pickup if you slow to near 0 to go over a gentle speed bump? Grrr.

( was off road over the weekend, and my car looks stuccoed with mud, lol, that shiny Raptor has the tires for it, but I bet it never leaves the pavement---if he did he'd know that he could hit the bumps at anything off of the "dead on" direction he was driving, and not even slow down, and not notice the bump.).

This always cracks me up as well. It's not like my truck is running Kings or Icons, and I take speed bumps just fine. And then I see these guys in the bro-dozers running over them like their suspensions are made of glass. Spends $2,000 on racing shocks, then does nothing but polish them with a diaper.

They are all nominally the same shape, but a couple (on the other side of campus) I have to slow down for, even if I hit them at a sharp angle so the bump is taken by each wheel out of phase. The whole whoop-dee-doo aspect has a lot to do with the geometry of your entry (heck, putting one wheel off the bump on the shoulder works fine, too), which I assume anyone with a truck clearly rigged for offroad must be aware of... apparently not.

2 hours ago, tater said:

putting one wheel off the bump on the shoulder works fine, too

My townhouse complex (80+units) has a posted speed limit of 5kph, with an unofficial observed limit of more like 15kph.(it would take me at least two minutes to get from the entrance to my unit at 5kph). There are several parking-lot style speed bumps scattered around, with a wide rainwater gap in the middle. I’ve found that regardless of speed, I prefer to NOT run a wheel through the gap or off the side, as I get thrown side-to-side. It’s a smoother ride to just hit it straight on with both wheels taking the bump. 

Mind you, this is with my Yaris. I haven’t really paid attention to how my Ram handles the bump with different approaches, because I don’t drive it much. Or maybe because I don’t really notice the bumps in it!:cool:

4 hours ago, tater said:

Ford F-150

67778459_2342455222501508_68734443838033

11 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Ford F-150

Haha! I once pulled a wagon behind my car! :D

My complaint, that wagon appears to have been stolen at some point. It just disappeared.

Edited by richfiles

Ha, last week of school and my home laptop dies, and this school one is getting returned on Friday for an upgrade or something (they haven't told us exactly but I think it's an upgrade). And I got no hope of getting another laptop because my mum is super stingy and my dad wants to get me one but gets yelled at by mum for spending any money..guess I'll have to spend the 8 weeks on my xbox with my broken controller

2 hours ago, richfiles said:

There isn't enough time in the day, ever. ;.;
We all know it, but some days, you just have to say it.

The Kerbals have just six hours per day, and they colonize planets.

You have twenty four and keep whining.

Just manage your daily routines more properly.

Edited by kerbiloid

15 hours ago, cubinator said:

aaaaaaaaaa

College is stressful.

AA

a.

Tell me about it....

So is living on your own semi suddenly. So many just menial things to do that you never thought of, so many other little things to think about. 

2 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Christmas season is in full swing over here.

:grumpy:

I have strict rules on Christmas in our house. Nothing Christmas-y happens until the day after Thanksgiving. (Because Thanksgiving is a holiday, dammit!) No decorations, no lights, no tree, no music, nothing! But this year I made one exception. We normally drive up into the mountains the day after Thanksgiving to cut our Christmas tree. But this year we had the big snow storm rolling in that day, and none of us relished the idea of driving up into a snow storm to cut down a tree. So we went up the day before Thanksgiving to cut the tree. However, the tree was exiled to the garage until Friday.

Christmas doesn't enter my home until the evening of 24th, and even that against my taste. The tree also gets booted on the 6th of January, back to the cardboard box it came from, somewhere in deep reaches of the basement, to my endless satisfaction (well, 11 months of it anyway).

Unfortunately, my work is heavily dependent on the income we get during December, closely related to ho ho ho stuff, so I suffer. Thankfully, we recently scored a good commission work, unrelated to Christmas, and I happen to be working almost exclusively on that, so I am somewhat spared.

My dishwasher croaked. Pump has a crack in ti. 2 years old. $#@$@# GE. Not gonna spend hundreds fixing it, I'm gonna buy "not GE." Also going to buy one in town, as I don't want to not have a dishwasher more than a couple days.