Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

12 hours ago, qzgy said:

Tell me about it....

So is living on your own semi suddenly. So many just menial things to do that you never thought of, so many other little things to think about. 

I wonder when the next time will be that I have absolutely nothing that I need to get done. Will it be when I retire? Will I be on Mars? Or will I be lucky enough to get a few moments like that sooner...I am certain it won't happen before I graduate, though.

11 hours ago, TheSaint said:

I have strict rules on Christmas in our house. Nothing Christmas-y happens until the day after Thanksgiving. (Because Thanksgiving is a holiday, dammit!) No decorations, no lights, no tree, no music, nothing!

Spoiler

713273.jpg

10 hours ago, Shpaget said:

The tree also gets booted on the 6th of January, back to the cardboard box it came from, somewhere in deep reaches of the basement, to my endless satisfaction (well, 11 months of it anyway).

Spoiler

90545655-metal-chains-around-the-tree-in

7 hours ago, tater said:

My dishwasher croaked. Pump has a crack in ti. 2 years old.

Spoiler

Didn't you feed it after the midnight?

tenor.gif?itemid=4733056

Edited by kerbiloid

20 hours ago, TheSaint said:

It isn't that I have anything against Christmas in general (although I do think it's become seriously over-commercialized). It just drives me nuts when people start celebrating Christmas in October.

Unhinged Maniac Already Listening To Christmas Music

EasterBCXmas.png

Charles Schulz was ahead of his time. 

The villains who doubt in Santa's existence and troll the children that it's their parents who put gifts at the fur-tree, don't realize the actual picture.

Santa really exists, he lives somewhere to North from them, and he actually brings the winter gifts to children.

Spoiler

But as he is only one, while children are billions, he can't get to everyone.

Spoiler

So, after the midnight, he remotely possesses the parents' bodies, makes them go to the fur-tree, put the gifts, return to the bed, get back to sleep, and forget everything they did.

So, when the parents say in the morning that they didn't bring the gifts, that's Santa who did it, they don't lie. They honestly believe this because they can't recall what were they doing while sleeping.

So, a good and clever child should just sleep and not try peeking, allowing Santa finish the gift transfer.
If a child doesn't sleep and sees his parents sneaking to the fur-tree, he/she should pretend he/she is asleep. Otherwise who knows which consequenses could be caused by sudden unpossess.

I've only had this flashlight for a year and half. The batteries were bought new, and none of the others have leaked. They weren't dead either... But WOW! The particular, singular, catastrophic leakage that this battery inflicted on my poor flashlight was devastating! It ate through the layer of anodizing, and where the threads were, ate clean through the aluminum tube! It even ate a chunk out of the switch cap's retaining ring! The battery was so wedged inside the tube, I had to actually open the light end of the flashlight and press the battery out of the tube! Yikes!

Anyway, I cleaned up the corrosion, and neutralized the caustic residue with lemon juice (acids, like those contained in vinegar or lemon juice, will neutralize the alkali bases that leak from alkaline and lithium batteries). By some miracle, only structural aluminum was eaten into, and it left the battery spring terminal alone. None of the caustic fluid reached the LED end of the tube, and only the most minimal corrosion reached the pc board with the switch, and the switch was mounted on the other side, and remained safe form damage. It now works, though I question if it remains water tight anymore. Some of the metal of the tube is also now incredibly thin in some places. Fortunately, this is one of three AA battery lights, and two AAA battery lights of this general style that I have, so It's not a devastating loss.

I'll be more inclined to periodically check batteries though, even ones that might not even be a year old! Yikes! :o

GaX5IIA.jpg

Edited by richfiles

That is by far the worst battery leak damage I've seen.

That being said, just yesterday I received a flashlight of my own - BLF A6. I'm quite amazed by how much light it can put out, even with the low charge battery. It takes a single 18650, for which I have a charger I bought recently in anticipation of buying a flashlight. I've never used it and it's been sitting on my desk for a while, but now the opportunity presented itself, and I popped the battery inside it and flipped out the mains plug (the horrible thing on a hinge) and tried plugging it in the socket, only to realize that it's not going to happen. All the mains sockets over here are recessed and the prongs of the plug on the charger don't reach deep enough.

I already have a new charger in the mail (this one is USB, so it should be ok), but I don't expect it for another two or three weeks.

6 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Brand of battery?

Rayovac Fusion. All my others seem fine though... But WOW, when that one went, it WENT!

I've been a long time Rayovac user. Cheaper than brands like Energizer or Duracell, but tend to last nearly as long. This is my first leak with one. I'd recently (around a year, maybe year and half ago) given their high capacity alkaline "Fusion" variant a try. Good capacity, but that cell had a marked shelf life of 2025. It's really odd that it leaked, and did so to such a degree. I'll be keeping my eye open. Still no leaks with he regular Rayovac alkalines.

Edited by richfiles

35 minutes ago, richfiles said:

Rayovac Fusion. All my others seem fine though... But WOW, when that one went, it WENT!

I've been a long time Rayovac user. Cheaper than brands like Energizer or Duracell, but tend to last nearly as long. This is my first leak with one. I'd recently (around a year, maybe year and half ago) given their high capacity alkaline "Fusion" variant a try. Good capacity, but that cell had a marked shelf life of 2025. It's really odd that it leaked, and did so to such a degree. I'll be keeping my eye open. Still no leaks with he regular Rayovac alkalines.

Interesting. Yeah, I use the regular Rayovacs for just about everything around the house, never had a problem either.

7 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Interesting. Yeah, I use the regular Rayovacs for just about everything around the house, never had a problem either.

I do want to make it clear, it was a single cell of their high capacity "FUSION Advanced Alkaline" version (red and silver label), and not the regular Rayovacs (grey and blue label). All my other devices using either style cell are fine, and no other cells have shown signs of leaking, both in AA and AAA sizes. It does leave me thinking about rechargeable though... That was honestly as bad as I've seen on car battery terminals!

13 hours ago, Dirkidirk said:

is it pronounced "Gif" or "Jif", nobody knows.

It was always intended to bring about the concept of "jiffy", or "in a jiff", meant to imply motion or liveliness. People who just plain and simply did not know any better chose to make assumptions based on the individual words that made up the acronym (to be fair, a reasonable error to make), and created one of the oldest and longest lasting web wars over pointless stuff that absolutely doesn't matter. :D
Thankfully, I've always been on the winning team! :sticktongue:

On 12/5/2019 at 10:29 AM, Dirkidirk said:

And then there’s me, who frowns upon those who say anything but g-i-f

Oh, the human factor. The myriad of chained consequences that can be triggered by the most stupid decision made by an (apparently) unrelated dude.

We just had one of the most infuriating (yet hilarious) failures on the work today.

We had this feature implemented and homologated almost 3 weeks ago that was borking on Production, besides working fine on the QAS machine.

But with the Black Friday, we ended up postponing the issue  - two weeks before the Black Friday, we were fighting with a partner for some logs trying to identify a serious bottleneck on the stack, with the partner stalling us saying the problem was on our side (but without giving us the damned logs), while our tests suggested the problem was on their side.

That client is by far the biggest we have, and the volume of transactions expected for that Friday was insane - so everything else got secondary: I spent the whole week (not sleeping while) writing tests and measure points on our stacks, hunting down the bottleneck, that I ended up working around it due a hunch 8 hours before the Black Friday started (that workaround is something to be proud of, by the way - that thing saved our collective arses).

At plain Black Friday that damned log came, finally giving us the confirmation I was hunting from the last two weeks. Guess what? Group bork - the flaw was on both sides of the ethernet card, but on different situations. With that info I could finally locate the point of failure on our stack - and then things just snapped together, as solving our bottleneck revealed theirs. Part of that clutch I made became a proper solution, and I implemented safeguards to avoid triggering the problem on the partners side - on Black Friday morning (I think, sleep deprivation seriously impairs recollecting memories).

Two weeks without sleeping properly (if at all).

And now, one week after the Black Friday, when we finally got some proper sleep (some, because we have a huge backlog to carry on due that stunt!), we finally got the chance to check how in hell that feature could not be working on Production.

Well… The feature had been homologated on the week before the Black Friday's week, and with the Hell breaking loose, we forgot to deploy it:0.0:

The funny thing is that the partner was trying to locate the source of the problem on their side since them (talk about Karma!). :D 

Some typing and mouse clicks, feature deployed, case closed - now it's up to the Management to try to calm down the client, willing to eat our livers with french potatoes by now.

Edited by Lisias
tyops as usulla...

Normally I don't take a voltage tester to the restroom. But now I will.

A week ago having the rest in the restroom, touched the water tap and was hit by a weak electric current.

After a day of arguing and proving that the water pipe is really under voltage, and that's not my hallucination, after three repair teams from communal services, they found out a naked cable in the wall a storey below, providing from 12 to 110 V in the brick wall, water and gas pipes, and sinks.

While we/they were searching the source of electricity, three neigboring apartments checked, enforced, repaired, and partially replaced their wires, water taps, and in one case a gas oven.

As we had to take off the gas water heater, while cleaning it on the occasion, we found that its heat exchanger is burnt and gave it to the welder to weld, so almost a week I have to wash in another flat.
The welder has welded the exchanger, but looks like it works much worse than when it was unrepaired, as the water pipe is probably cramped.

And after a day of arguing about the broken heater, we now have no water at all, as the water pipeline from the river (in 100 km from us) is broken and is getting repaired.

And now about the role of a person in history.
If I didn't touch the tap sitting on toilet, we could never see that chain of events, and three flats had not repaired their water and gas lines.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 12/5/2019 at 11:29 AM, Dirkidirk said:

Nobody AGREES. We all KNOW because the people who made the name said how it should be pronounced.

16 hours ago, Delay said:

So basically, my physics teacher told me to "just" not have Aspergers. Great.

Have you been diagnosed? Bring in some documentation and your physics teacher will learn what's important and not very quickly.