Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

5 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

And they said both versions...

Nope. The actual creator of the format and the name said:

"It's pronounced [soft-g]JIF, not [hard-g]GIF."

That's a quote from when he received his Webby award. For making the format.

You can pronounce it any way you want but if you don't pronounce it the way he said, you are pronouncing it incorrectly.

Edited by 5thHorseman

I am 100% complete with all physical hardware on my custom mechanical keyboard's main keyboard unit, and have the entire switch matrix and all the LED connections soldered in the number pad. All that remains for the entire project to be 100% hardware complete, is to install the LED driver transistors, the I2C DAC board that sets the LED brightness, and wire the keyboard matrix into the I2C port expander, and connect all of it to the magsafe port that attaches the number pad to the main keyboard.

I got a lot done, and am finally working on a project that say collecting dust for two years...

My complaint... It's 6:30 in the morning, and I need to be somewhere at 10.

cvnqw0c.jpg
ntfchBS.jpg

Edited by richfiles

3 hours ago, richfiles said:

otoh that looks like a very nice build you've got going on. Whats the large numpad-ish thing? Cause it looks like too many keys for a standard numpad....

8 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

"It's pronounced [soft-g]JIF, not [hard-g]GIF."

Is the "soft-g" not /dzh/, but a sound between "gg" and "kh", aka /ɣ/ or /h/?

If so, that's exactly my South-Russian pronunciation of "gif", lol.

Edited by kerbiloid

2 hours ago, qzgy said:

otoh that looks like a very nice build you've got going on. Whats the large numpad-ish thing? Cause it looks like too many keys for a standard numpad....

IfHrpB2.jpg

Basically, just extra keys, so I can have things like macros or special characters. Mostly an excuse to have specialty keys.
When the number pad is magnetically attached to the main keyboard, it's a 122  key keyboard. Detached, the main is only 88 keys.

6 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Is the "soft-g" not /dzh/, but a sound between "gg" and "kh", aka /ɣ/ or /h/?

I don't know what any of those mean. I'm not what you'd call a language... ologist.

Watch a commercial for Jif peanut butter. Imagine it's about how mothers pick their image formats. "Choosy moms choose gif." That's how he said it. Out loud with no typing.

So I have an idea for a functional novelty product, aimed at a niche market. I haven't seen anything like it on the market. I've contacted a product development company, which directed me to do an informal online patent search. Nope, nothing like it there, although it did give me an idea for enhancing my product. The next step is a professional Formal Patent Search, for the (low, low) price of $975, presumably in CAD. If nothing turns up, then comes patenting and licensing it out for production.

I don't have that kind of money to spare. I could put it on a credit card, but I'm deep enough in the hole already, thanks, and don't want to do that for something that may not pan out. But OTOH, it takes money to make money; no risk, no reward; nothing ventured, nothing gained, yadda yadda yadda. It's not like this is is a technical improvement; it's just a spin on an everyday object. So all it needs is a design patent. I mean, I suppose I could buy a 3D printer and figure out how to make the digital design, but that would be pretty slow production and not the quality I want.

While it is not directly related to KSP, I think this crowd would love it...

14 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

You can pronounce it any way you want but if you don't pronounce it the way he said, you are pronouncing it incorrectly.

All this arguing over how to pronounce "gif" makes me wonder how you folks pronounce "gerbil" lol

On 12/10/2019 at 7:21 PM, richfiles said:

12 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

The next step is a professional Formal Patent Search, for the (low, low) price of $975, presumably in CAD. If nothing turns up, then comes patenting and licensing it out for production.

I don't have that kind of money to spare.

Maybe they'd be happy to see that thing. Maybe that'd be enough for them.

I tried checking my grades in physics and got a huge scare...The algorithm was counting the final exam that we haven't taken yet, and the final lab report that we haven't turned in yet, giving me half a percent lower than the passing cutoff for my lab grade. It took me a while to figure out that I'm actually fine... :mad: 

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

I tried checking my grades in physics and got a huge scare...The algorithm was counting the final exam that we haven't taken yet, and the final lab report that we haven't turned in yet, giving me half a percent lower than the passing cutoff for my lab grade. It took me a while to figure out that I'm actually fine... :mad: 

Yikes. Sometimes my physics professor would configure the software a bit wrong, so instead of a test being out of 100, it'd be out of 106 (or 111 for the final). Usually he'd fix it relatively quickly... but sometimes it'd be on there for a while.

That's one of my problems with college, it's not that transparent when it comes to how well you're doing. Some of that makes sense - it takes time to grade things. But I've heard of professors and instructors deliberately delaying posting some grades until after the withdraw date so that failing students wouldn't know they were failing until too late. Which is a bit sketchy if you ask me. But then I've had some instructors grade tests the day after. I guess it's more of a luck of the draw thing.

1 hour ago, Bill Phil said:

Yikes. Sometimes my physics professor would configure the software a bit wrong, so instead of a test being out of 100, it'd be out of 106 (or 111 for the final). Usually he'd fix it relatively quickly... but sometimes it'd be on there for a while.

That's one of my problems with college, it's not that transparent when it comes to how well you're doing. Some of that makes sense - it takes time to grade things. But I've heard of professors and instructors deliberately delaying posting some grades until after the withdraw date so that failing students wouldn't know they were failing until too late. Which is a bit sketchy if you ask me. But then I've had some instructors grade tests the day after. I guess it's more of a luck of the draw thing.

Yeah, the software is kind of wacky sometimes. And the college systems are completely dependent on the internet, which is interesting. But my main gripe is that I hardly get any positive feedback when I'm doing well. I get negative feedback when things go poorly, but if I do something great then it's just kind of neutral. A little reinforcement would boost my morale a lot. Anyway, it's just the last week of classes and I have a lot to think about. I really don't need an inaccurate "53%" to look at on top of all this.

Edited by cubinator

Digital memories are as good as no memory at all. :mad:

We are loosing TWENTY-ONE YEARS of Internet History. They are shutting down all the history of the (long time agonizing) Yahoo Groups service - the unavoidable consequence of a long chain of mistakes, being that abhorrible Neo interface one of the worst (a huge amount of colleagues and retro-computers enthusiasts migrate to G+ and Facebook some months after that pule of excrements was deployed).

I'm losing properly indexed content from mailing lists I used to participate since I was a young man, when we transitioned from the old BBS to the shining new Internet thingy at 1996 (this arrived late on Brazil). Newsgroups are way better on the long run, but demanded a infra-estruture our Internet Providers aren't able to pay at that time (we were using dial-ups when most of the first world were already on ADSL or cable), so the cheapest yet functional alternative was the good and faithful majordomo. Then eGroups pops up at 1998, making everybody's life way easier.

Trivia: the very second thing I did when I installed Eudora (the most used MUA at that time, I'm talking about Netscape 2.0 era!!) was to check the Newsgroups that Linus versus Tanenbaum drama about Micro Kernels, at that time only 3 or 4 years only behind!! Yeah, that flame-fest was already famous!! :D 

That thing was at that time what this forum is today for you - but on Facebook scale (proportionally). That was the place to be. Suddenly, I had easy access to people all around the world about every subject I was eager to learn. Made a lot of friends, a awful bunch of them not around anymore, what make this loss a lot bitter - most of my mailings lists had 50, 200 registrants only.

The PC Demo Scene? Yeah. The reminicents of the Amiga Module scene? Too. That new mod for QuakeWorld? The last Apple2 emulator? The existence of ftp.asimov.net ? Yep. My WDOS, GEM, CP/M68k and MP/M? Learnt from there, that 

When G+ shut down, it was an annoyance, as we still had our historical mailing list to gather. When Orkut shut down, it was sad - but the significant relationships was still using the Groups to keep in touch, so it was a supportable loss.

Now? All that remains is… Facebook - and had I mentioned that we are losing the historical content? The mails that were sent and received with the contacts? Yeah. That bad.

Of course, I'm saving what I can - but yet, how good are digital memories shoved on a random dude HD? :(

Well… Some more "new content" for my site, as it appears. That URL will stink to mold soon.

10 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

It's a pity but anyway the resolution was low.

And there was no Expanse, Game of Thrones, etc.

We discussed about Dune (the movie, the books and the miniseries), Asimov, Clark, about what happened to Challenger, etc.

Make no mistake, there were very intelligent life at the time too.

10 hours ago, Delay said:

There was Second Reality, though... as well as other demos to blow people's minds.

Not to mention some of the best placed for support on that novelty called Linux.

Programming was strong there, we lost knowledge bases for things like DR-DOS and WDOSX.

Some things I don't miss, as The Palace. And I remember a Web version of Cityspace, but I don't remember the name. Way before Second Reality.

6 minutes ago, Lisias said:

We discussed about Dune (the movie, the books and the miniseries), Asimov, Clark, about what happened to Challenger, etc.

Make no mistake, there were very intelligent life at the time too.

And sometimes this was later distributed on CD as archives of FIDO and so, that's how I read that in prehistorical era before I got the internet.

It's just now when the caption "Archive of Internet 1998, Jul-Dec" on a CD in CD-shop sounds funny.

Edited by kerbiloid

55 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

And sometimes this was later distributed on CD as archives of FIDO and so, that's how I read that in prehistorical era before I got the internet.

It's just now when the caption "Archive of Internet 1998, Jul-Dec" on a CD in CD-shop sounds funny.

What returns to my original argument: digital memories are as good as no memory at all. :/