Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

On 12/12/2019 at 1:31 AM, cubinator said:

I get negative feedback when things go poorly, but if I do something great then it's just kind of neutral. A little reinforcement would boost my morale a lot.

Spoiler alert, that doesn't change outside of college. Especially if you're lucky enough to get a job where you have to interact with customers of any kind.

56 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Spoiler alert, that doesn't change outside of college. Especially if you're lucky enough to get a job where you have to interact with customers of any kind.

Spoiler Spoiler alert: the best you do your job, more likely you will be forgotten.

We have this small client. We deployed our solution for them in 15 minutes - we just flipped a switch and things just worked. It was 3 months before the first support call, and on a whole year of service, we had only one major issue to handle, what was fixed in less then two hours.

Guess what? We need to call them monthly asking about how things are doing just to be remembered - since their are a small company, there're very few formal procedures there, and if we don't call them regularly, they forget about us - what including forgetting to pay us. :D 

This was the best compliment I ever had from a client. :sticktongue:

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

Guess what? We need to call them monthly asking about how things are doing just to be remembered - since their are a small company, there're very few formal procedures there, and if we don't call them regularly, they forget about us - what including forgetting to pay us. :D 

AI will rule the world when it has taken formal congrats, respects, and responses in its hands.
Humans will pray it... Especially if it will imitate real personnel voices.

...Two dark call-centers, with no humans inside (both personnel is secretly smoking and chatting outdoors all day long), talking with human voices to each other, with all those annoying polite reverences.

Edited by kerbiloid

12 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I guess my planetarium job is an exception to that.

11 hours ago, Lisias said:

Spoiler Spoiler alert: the best you do your job, more likely you will be forgotten.

I suppose that's why I try to do some things that are completely new as well. People who do new things for the first time are remembered, as well as shape the world around them and create new possibilities for others.

11 hours ago, Lisias said:

the best you do your job, more likely you will be forgotten.

Because when your part of job is always fine, then from foreground actors you join background forces, and other actors presume that's by design.

Edited by kerbiloid

13 hours ago, Lisias said:

if we don't call them regularly, they forget about us - what including forgetting to pay us. :D 

They know that if they pay, you'll stop calling, and they like to talk to you.

One of our clients also forgot to pay. When we called them, they assured us it would be done right away. After about a month and several more calls with assurances, explanations and excuses, we mentioned legal action and suddenly they got serious. Why would we stoop so low for such a small sum (it was about $150)? We told them that if it was such a small sum, they should have no problem paying it right away. The funds were in our account two hours later. They were never late again.

2 hours ago, Shpaget said:

One of our clients also forgot to pay. When we called them, they assured us it would be done right away. After about a month and several more calls with assurances, explanations and excuses

I can assure you it's not the case - that guys pays the monthly fee regularly and on the right date, as long we remember them we still do exist some days before!! :P 

The history is funny: the system doesn't crash, the system doesn't break, they rarely call for support. It's like your car's insurance, you don't call them until you need them, and if they don't remember you they exist (mailing you the invoice, or charging you on the Credit Card), you will forget about them until something bad happens.

56 minutes ago, Delay said:

Well, SR went down as possibly the most revolutionary and advanced demo, not only for its time.

Probably, but it was not the first. I'm really trying to remember that one that I had played before SR, it was more or less at the same time I gave The Palace a try.

4 hours ago, cubinator said:

I suppose that's why I try to do some things that are completely new as well. People who do new things for the first time are remembered, as well as shape the world around them and create new possibilities for others.

Sir, I dance for money. :D I don't care if what I'm doing is for the first time or not, as long the client pays me for it.

Edited by Lisias
Some entertaining grammars made less entertaining.

I get to repeat the school year for being too bad in PE and in Spanish. As if repeating it suddenly made me better at something I cannot do any better (I'm genuinely attempting my best in every lesson).

So... there go my plans of studying math and actually doing something with my life... Maybe IT? Heard that's a business with need for employees?

3 hours ago, Delay said:

I get to repeat the school year for being too bad in PE and in Spanish. As if repeating it suddenly made me better at something I cannot do any better (I'm genuinely attempting my best in every lesson).

So... there go my plans of studying math and actually doing something with my life... Maybe IT? Heard that's a business with need for employees?

You don't need to give up on anything over it taking an extra year. You're probably not as far behind as it feels.

5 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

The internet has completely gone out in my area. I’m having to post this on mobile data on my phone.

It’s not even localised to my ISP, either. Apparently internet has completely disappeared for everyone.

Just wait...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-12-20/apple-has-top-secret-team-working-on-internet-satellites?srnd=premium-europe

I just wanna whine about the fact that Disney can spend millions on Star Wars movie after Star Wars movie that either riles up some people, or simply fails to impress at all, yet they can't seem to do what Disney does best... Re-release old stuff. Don't they realize that if they remaster a true theatrical edition of the original trilogy, scene for scene, sound for sound, true to the 1970s and 1980s original theatrical releases, that people would buy them in droves! Being a remastered theatrical release, would also permit it to finally be entered into the Library of Congress, who nominated the original Star Wars, but then refused to accept the "Special" Edition that Lucas tried to give them.

Just as long as they don't re-make it... shudders! :0.0:

2 hours ago, richfiles said:

I just wanna whine about the fact that Disney can spend millions on Star Wars movie after Star Wars movie that either riles up some people, or simply fails to impress at all, yet they can't seem to do what Disney does best... Re-release old stuff. Don't they realize that if they remaster a true theatrical edition of the original trilogy, scene for scene, sound for sound, true to the 1970s and 1980s original theatrical releases, that people would buy them in droves! Being a remastered theatrical release, would also permit it to finally be entered into the Library of Congress, who nominated the original Star Wars, but then refused to accept the "Special" Edition that Lucas tried to give them.

Just as long as they don't re-make it... shudders! :0.0:

Yeah. If they have the original film reels it should be possible.

Heck, a team of around a dozen or so amateurs worked on what's referred to as the "despecialized" version of Star Wars about 8 years ago. they used a combination of the 2011 BluRay releases, DVDs, laserdiscs, even some film and photographs, to restore the HD version of the films to the theatrical cut. They exist in the wild, but are difficult to come by, and of course, are not official. If ten or so randos can pull it off out of nothing more than the passion they have in their hearts for some movies, then Disney and their best studios could pull it off, even if they didn't have a good copy of the original reels or masters. Heck, this fan restoration has more business being in the Library of Congress than what was actually offered!

I'll admit that I have Episode 4 and 6 of that "despecialized" version, but 5 has eluded me.

Fortunately, I also own the original trilogy on RCA SelectaVision, and still have a working player, so I at least have access to a legal copy of the original cut. :D
My only complaint there, is sometimes the stylus skips, just like any record, but it's WAY more annoying when it's a movie you're trying to watch, and not simply an album. Player predates any models that had wireless remotes, so I gotta get up and manually press jog on the player to get it out of the record scratch. That's definitely annoying!

BVd6PPP.jpg

Edited by richfiles

On 12/22/2019 at 1:18 AM, Bill Phil said:

Yeah. If they have the original film reels it should be possible.

That's a big assumption. Lucas reportedly made a big effort to erase the originals.

On 12/21/2019 at 10:31 PM, richfiles said:

Don't they realize that if they remaster a true theatrical edition of the original trilogy, scene for scene, sound for sound, true to the 1970s and 1980s original theatrical releases, that people would buy them in droves!

No, they don't, because that's not how the market works, or so their marketers tell them. They need to (a) pander to non-fans, preferably to the Chinese audience, and (b) milk the fans with merch rather than movies.

They can make more money with one merch addict than with ten cinephiles.

i?id=25f594d2966ebcdc1eafcac2a18cf3db-l&
They're staying the course with (a) even despite TLJ's relative flop, with a large chunk of novels being translated (and it's difficult to tell from the coverage, but these may be pre-Disney EU novels :sticktongue:). And (b) is validated by Baby Yoda.

Edited by DDE

4 hours ago, DDE said:

They can make more money with one merch addict than with ten cinephiles.

The Porg on it's side is very much not to scale:confused:
I bet every one megaporg is worth 10 moviegoers...

We are the Porg. Your monetary assets will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Edited by richfiles

I play Pokemon Go.
I initially picked it up this past January exclusively to collect older Pokemon that I knew wouldn't be in the new Pokemon mainline game for the Nintendo Switch that, back then, was still tightly under wraps. As this past year has come and gone, I've had lots of high moments in that game, such as making new friends and running into old ones, and finding out I lived in one of the most active communities in my region. There have also been some low moments, and lowest of all, was finding out that the big technological leap that was supposed to happen when Pokemon transitioned over to the Switch... Ended up being a joke. No National Pokedex, no support for importing non native species, the devs literally claiming new animations and 3D models as an excuse for the never before seen limitations, only for those claims to be discovered to be outright lies, when datamining the game, once it was out, revealed the models were the exact same ones used on the 3DS, and the animations were the same too.

I still have hopes that the next mainline Pokemon game on the Switch will salvage the dumpster fire that was the result of Game Freak's cutbacks and boldly blatant lies to their customers. For that reason, I continue to try to fill out my Pokedex. I continue to collect shiny Pokemon. Even though I have certainly enjoyed the game, so far, I recognize many of it's flaws...

It is, at it's heart, a gatcha game. They give you free items an coins from doing specific tasks, and they give you free eggs, but theres always a limit. Run out of balls, you need to spin Pokestops... Or you can buy them. Have a bunch of eggs, you can hatch one at a time, or you can buy some egg incubators... You can do one raid per day, or you can buy raid passes... I actually avoid spending money on the game, and since the mess with Pokemon on the Switch, I've been even more determined to avoid spending money on this.

Those are all just complaints that come to mind when thinking about the game, you know, in a general way, but it doesn't address the real complaint I have for today...

They scheduled an Ex Raid event at 11am on Christmas... Are they dumb!? People who celebrate Christmas are gonna be with family, possibly celebrating Christmas at their church, if they attend. Why one Earth would Niantic think it was wise to set the scheduling window for that Ex Raid to ANY time during Christmas morning! I was so annoyed by it, that I opened a support ticket JUST TO COMPLAIN about their poor scheduling! :huh:

I told them that family comes first, and that there is no excuse for them to not realize christmas morning is probably a very bad time to schedule events. It's just a game. It's not like Christmas snuck up on them. They should have had far more sense... It happens on the same date every year. :rolleyes:

So a family friend was very nice and decided to allow us to live in their summer house for three days, (and don't get me wrong, it is a big and a really nice house), but yesterday when we tried to take a bath, apparently something smelling like rotten eggs (most likely Hydrogen Sulfide) came out of the showerheads, so now we can't take a bath or a shower in any of the bathrooms. The smell was so bad that I decided to sleep downstairs where I couldn't smell it, away from the largest bedroom in the house that we decided I could be with, along with my sister. So last night was not a very fun night.

Edited by DunaManiac

currently sleep deprived as to restore circadian rhythm from pulling project-induced all nighter a few days ago, 24 hours awake into the planned 33 and it already feels like I can see sounds

Edited by Guest

A few Langur Monkeys invaded my kitchen garden. They destroyed the eggplants, ate the Rose flowers (8 of them) and messed up all the remaining plants. They broke the pots, rampaged the compost bin and injured my favorite stray tomcat. That tomcat is named 'Ghoru' after the infamous and detested conqueror 'Mohammad Ghori'. And why do I call my tomcat 'Conqueror'? Because he charged at and fought 5 Langur Monkeys on his own in the few minutes I took to intervene, the smallest of which was 3 times his size. <There's a reason why even the stray dogs in my area are nervous and wary around him.>

Ghoru weighs 6.5 kilos. And Langur monkeys are notorious for their fierceness. They are so fierce that they are brought in to scare away Macaques. Ghoru fought all of them and got injured badly on the forehead. I saw one of the Langurs fling him 3 feet up in the air but Ghoru righted himself mid-air and bit that langur's fingers off. Ghoru is okay now, I have treated him and dressed him up. I checked him for bite wounds, but thankfully, there were none.

It's shameful that I only managed to punch a Langur once in it's side. It was a satisfying punch and I felt a sickeningly sweet "squelch" in it's stomach. I wish I had a firearm license, but they are hard to procure in my country.