Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

My kid's Atom-level hockey game today.

1: First goal was a fluke, a pop-up off a faceoff where the goalie Lucy'd the catch. Other than that our goalie had an awesome game.

2. linesman calls icing against a short-handed team... oops.

3. This one was really bad. Our D gets back for the puck first, should have been icing. Not this time, then our D immediately gets tripped, puck taken and put in our net. This sequence was in a matter of seconds. Should have been a penalty, but instead it's a goal against. Down 2-zip

4. After that, it's a bunch of non-calls favoring them, and every penalty against us

Our team put in a great effort and kept it close, but ultimately lost by a few goals. I mean, I know the officials are teenagers and are learning, but still.... I hope they learned some things....

• 2 weeks later...

I hope your surgery goes well. My mother had weird pressure issues (VERY atypical). I have no idea what happened, but now they're talking about her going in every 2 years. Like I said, very atypical. I hope yours goes perfectly smoothly. Good luck!

35 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Just remember, when you're under conscious sedation, you have all the wisdom in the world to impart to the nurses. ;)

Lol. No sedation at all, just some Ativan for nervousness. 

5 minutes of torture later, you can call me “Patchy”

c95fef52c65d52c7b265c162b9671229_xl.jpg

More seriously...

EV8gnyh.jpg

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Not sure where to put this, unless there's a "crazy and/or inept crook" thread....

https://globalnews.ca/news/6578962/vancouver-police-investigating-attempted-seaplane-theft-that-left-several-aircraft-damaged/

Two floatplanes got wings destroyed in the process....

Edited by StrandedonEarth

I need new glasses, after about one and a half years. I see with my current ones just fine, but not good enough to drive a car (I'm about to start my practice). Small texts are especially blurry over distances.
...And apparently that blur adds half a dioptre. I'm now at -1.25, so I will need glasses with -1.75.

Now, I have heard stories of dpts as low as -7 and even down to -11, so I'm probably still doing okay in the grand scheme. I'm a little worried about this whole 0.5 drop in 1.5 years, however.

Spoiler

To be perfectly honest, I'm very sure my glasses were never adequate in the first place. Yes, they massively improved my ability to see, but I can't see small details any worse now when compared to back then. Still, it's good to know that my glasses need adjustment.

9 hours ago, Delay said:

...And apparently that blur adds half a dioptre. I'm now at -1.25, so I will need glasses with -1.75.

Both my eyes are a -8.00.  I got my first pair of glasses when I was 5.  Even with poly lenses, my glasses are about 9mm thick at the outer edge.

I primarily wear contacts.  The coke bottles are one of the reasons.

I was tired, thought I'd go to bed at midnight (which for me is early). Decided to watch a model train video before turning in for the night...
The guy in the video was talking about track wiring, and how inconvenient it was to crawl under his layout any time he had to mess with wiring.

It was at that moment, I knew I'd screwed up... 

I had an idea. An idea that was screaming at me to let it out. It's 6:30 in the morning. I'm even MORE tired than before, but I came up with this:

Spoiler

AI2mQdS.png
mEAIYKN.png

I'll have you know, that was done with the Mac equivalent of MS Paint. I don't know my way around CAD. That's line tools and fill tools, and rectangle and circle tools... Yeah...

The way it works, is you pull the sliding frame out, and let the front part of it fold down and rest against the table's legs. That part folding down locks the rear sliding frame in place. The layout panel can then be folded upwards, from it's forward position. This leaves the entire bottom of the panel exposed, and you don't have to couch lay on your back, or really, do anything difficult. The cable strung up keeps the top panel from flipping backwards. The heavy bracing is all put at the back, to counter the weight of the slide frame when pulled outward.

Personally, I'm happy with how it turned out. It's great for single modules, linear configuration with multiple modules, and multi module configurations with outside turns. Inside turns... Are not easy with this system. The only way to make it really work, entirely defeats the whole purpose of building this, as removing a whole module simply is not an easier task than just crawling underneath. It has that one, singular limitation. My best recommendation is literally a cop out... 

Leave corners alone.

build your stuff so corners are super simple, and just have pass through wires that go to the next module. Pick what you want in the corner, and don't ever change it!

there was a point in my life (6 months ago), when I thought "hey, maybe the earth is flat"(dumb, I knew). I then thought that that was dumb, so I searched up "flat earth logic", and found this:

https://creation.com/refuting-flat-earth

now I can no longer think of flat earthers as 'human' 

Edited by Dirkidirk

On 2/20/2020 at 4:56 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

Reminds of when my brother was in neuro ICU recovering after suffering a brain injury in a car accident. When my dad pointed out the nurse was pregnant, my bro shook his head and said "Not mine!!!"

Apparently when I was in the recovery room after my heart surgery I was, well, quite upset and angry. And verbal. My wife was telling me about it afterwards, I have no recollection of it. I actually apologized to the nurses about it afterwards.

But when I came out of my eye surgery and was recovering from the conscious sedation, I was the life of the party. :D

So I've been feeling kinda down-ish lately. Nothing too bad, just a bit tired, not interested in very much, etc. This started about a month or so ago, and I just assumed that it would just pass. "Ah, I just didn't get enough sleep," I thought to myself. Well, it's not.

I've found myself set off by the easiest of things, especially on Discord- the live chat messaging site I've frequented pretty much every day for the last 2-3 years. A simple joke, a sarcastic comment- I just lose it. I've been alienating my good friends and ignoring everyone else. Track started this last week, and I was looking forward to it for easily 3 months. Now, though, I've just got this "Why am I even bothering" attitude of my favorite sport in the world. My granddad (my favorite relative ever) got diagnosed with cancer a couple years ago, and he's apparently slipped in the last month or two. I heard yesterday that he's been moved to an "Assisted Living" home, and I felt like I was crushed for some reason. I know he's not dead, but for whatever reason that news just crushed me.

It all kinda just bubbled over yesterday. I was sitting at home, watching TV, and then I felt like I got crushed like a soda can. I missed my girlfriend (We celebrated 17 months together yesterday), I felt like a failure, and I just wanted to curl up into a ball and cry like a little kid. This morning, I took a couple online tests, and though I don't take much stake in what the internet says, I think that it might be right: Evidence of "severe" depression, Anxiety, and Bipolar Disorder according to a couple different tests. Go me I guess...

Just now, TheSaint said:

But when I came out of my eye surgery and was recovering from the conscious sedation, I was the life of the party. :D

Lucky you, I didn't get any sedation at all for my cataract surgery, just a metric crapton of eye drops. While it didn't hurt, the discomfort of staring at a bright light for  what felt like an hour (probably 5 minutes) was acute.

That's Canada's publicly funded health system for you. If I had known to ask for sedation, it probably would have been out-of-pocket, like the premium lens.

Just now, StrandedonEarth said:

Lucky you, I didn't get any sedation at all for my cataract surgery, just a metric crapton of eye drops. While it didn't hurt, the discomfort of staring at a bright light for  what felt like an hour (probably 5 minutes) was acute.

That's Canada's publicly funded health system for you. If I had known to ask for sedation, it probably would have been out-of-pocket, like the premium lens.

Well, that's your bad news. Your good news is that it probably cost you a lot less. We're on a PPO plan (because for everyone else on the U.S. side who is listening: never, ever, get on an HMO plan, if you can at all help it), and it ended up costing me over $3,000 out-of-pocket. (And, just for reference, my insurance wouldn't pay for the astigmatism-correcting lens either, that cost me out-of-pocket as well.)

52 minutes ago, Dirkidirk said:

there was a point in my life (6 months ago), when I thought "hey, maybe the earth is flat"(dumb, I knew). I then thought that that was dumb, so I searched up "flat earth logic", and found this:

https://creation.com/refuting-flat-earth

now I can no longer think of flat earthers as 'human' 

Well the Earth would be as thin as a sheet of paper relative to the Oh My God particle...

3 minutes ago, Dirkidirk said:

wHaT DAT? a ThICK BOI

No, the particle was a very smol boi. 

It was just going so fast that it’s Lorentz factor was 320 billion, meaning that if an observer was at rest relative to the particle they would observe Earth to be 320 billion times smaller along the direction of motion. 

Gotta wonder if the particle had flames painted on the side...

Edited by Bill Phil

7 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Well, that's your bad news. Your good news is that it probably cost you a lot less. We're on a PPO plan (because for everyone else on the U.S. side who is listening: never, ever, get on an HMO plan, if you can at all help it), and it ended up costing me over $3,000 out-of-pocket. (And, just for reference, my insurance wouldn't pay for the astigmatism-correcting lens either, that cost me out-of-pocket as well.)

Touche. It "only"  cost me ~$1500 CAD, which is a hefty chunk for me right now. And I don't think I'll get that back from my employer's benefit plan

5 minutes ago, Dirkidirk said:

wHaT DAT? a ThICK BOI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh-My-God_particle

2 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

if an observer was at rest relative to the particle they would observe Earth to be 320 billion times smaller along the direction of motion.

A mere 0.00003982m!

Edited by Delay
rounding