Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

Spoiler

It's simple.

It's that guy who was spying, and the middle finger gesture is their secret id signal.
He thought you're his replacement and tried to ensure and say hello, but had seen that you don't understand him, so you aren't.
Dissappointed, the man returned back to his post to continue waiting for the shift end and blaming this dog's life.

The officer on the gates had no idea if this is legal, as he was commanded to guard the ground installations.
So, he informed you that the ground installations are unphotable (because boss said him to guard them but said nothing about the photing, so the officer quickly applied the logical induction and concluded that as he was not commanded to allow photing them , "to guard" includes also stopping from photing, as another hypothesis is excessive under the Occam's principle).

He had no idea about the planes, but as he was not commanded to guard the flying planes, too, he decided that it's a problem of another officer, who is guarding the flying planes.

2 hours ago, XB-70A said:

I'm really confused (and angry) right now...

Long story short: I'm passing pretty much every day next to Patrick Air Force Base in Cocoa Beach. Most of the time, the parking areas are empty, but sometime an interesting aircraft is on the ground. I even took some (bad) pictures of a C-5M recently. Today, I passed by once again, but my camera with me as I was going to shot some ships leaving Port Canaveral. I one time I saw a 757-200 with her navigation lights turned on, so I decided to stay to wait for her to take-off. 

I was waiting in my car, when I saw a KC-135 coming-in for landing or going-around. I just jumped out of my car, and was able to take a dozen of pictures of her. I was pretty happy, as I haven't seen any Stratotanker in the air for a while. Then, the 752 left. I took some picture of her too, and decided to stay a bit more for the KC-135 which was coming back.

However, right at the time I took pictures of the 752, I saw an old-man staring at me strangely from inside his truck. I guess he thought I was some kind of "bad guy" spying. Stupid enough to wear flashy clothes, and to stand 20 m/65 ft next to an Air Base's fence (perfect discretion). Anyway, I was about to leave when the guy decided to pass by my car, took a picture of my plate, a picture of me (looking at him while wondering), and to middle finger me before leaving.

I must admit, I'm extremely bad at hold back my anger at insults. Right now, and about two hours after it happened, I still have my fingers' tips shaking slightly, and the will to make this old man pay for his gesture.

Also being worried about the reason why he did that, I stopped by one of the AFB's entrance gates to ask a Military Police officer, if what I did was illegal. He told me it was if my pictures were with the military installations in them; which they don't, as I only caught the two airplanes. Anyway, I told him I will erase any pictures which have (which I did some minutes ago; there were only four).

Looking at some posts on aviation photographers forums, it seems like taking pictures of military aircraft in the US is legal as long as no military installations appear in them. Now, I'm just wondering if I'm going to have some visit in the next hours*, and also why that crazy old man did that to me... He could have rightly come to tell me what I was doing wrong, instead of flipping me off.

* Which will be a waste of ressources. I'm not the first having taken pictures of a Stratotanker climbing from an AFB and flying over the sea.

Cranky old guy doing cranky old guy stuff. I wouldn't let it get to you. I'm sure if the USAF had issues with you taking pictures from a public parking lot they would have taken better measures to prevent it.

Edited by TheSaint

2 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Cranky old guy doing cranky old guy stuff. I wouldn't let it get to you. I'm sure if the USAF had issues with you taking pictures from a public parking lot they would have taken better measures to prevent it.

That's what I thought too. I mean, it's not like I was taking picture of an F-35, with its weapon-bays opened and perfectly showing some last-gen' weapons.

I'm aware of the (in)famous 100 ft rule. None is allowed to take pictures less then 100 ft off the AFB, NAS, MCAS, and CGAS fences. However, the case at Patrick is a bit confusing: The parking I was spotting from was more than 200 ft away from the fence, but Satellite Beach is considered a property of the AFB, so I'm wondering if I wasn't totally in the wrong.

45 minutes ago, XB-70A said:

That's what I thought too. I mean, it's not like I was taking picture of an F-35, with its weapon-bays opened and perfectly showing some last-gen' weapons.

I'm aware of the (in)famous 100 ft rule. None is allowed to take pictures less then 100 ft off the AFB, NAS, MCAS, and CGAS fences. However, the case at Patrick is a bit confusing: The parking I was spotting from was more than 200 ft away from the fence, but Satellite Beach is considered a property of the AFB, so I'm wondering if I wasn't totally in the wrong.

Sounds like that guy needed Amazon Alexa for Old People (video link).

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

Now suddenly I want to see a fan cut of Episode III where Palpatine gives his whole speech and then Anakin just looks at him and says, "Okay, boomer." :D

That is all I found:

Someone once asked anthropologist Margaret Mead what she considered to be the first evidence of civilization. She answered: a human thigh bone with a healed fracture found in an archaeological site 15,000 years old. Why not tools for hunting or religious artifacts or primitive forms of communal self-governance? 

Mead points out that for a person to survive a broken femur the individual had to have been cared for long enough for that bone to heal. Others must have provided shelter, protection, food and drink over an extended period of time for this kind of healing to be possible. 

Source: https://divinity.yale.edu/news/15000-year-old-bone-and-fall-2013-issue-reflections

5 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Now suddenly I want to see a fan cut of Episode III where Palpatine gives his whole speech and then Anakin just looks at him and says, "Okay, boomer." :D

3e62a0e6311fd687f30b79bbd51039b0--youre-

Me and my mum's bikes have been stolen.

Our family live in a flat, so we were keeping them in a sort of communal area outside the flat where everyone puts their rubbish and recycling. They weren't locked to railings or anything, but we live in a very safe and crime-free area, and have been keeping our bikes there for years with no trouble. It's just that at some point in the last few days some [censored] individual(s) have decided to come and steal them.

I didn't use my bike that often, but that doesn't make it any better (it was a pretty expensive bike). The particular words I want to use to describe those individual(s) is banned on this forum, but I hope they can live with themselves :mad:

My car took me to work...
My car did not return me home from work.

When I started the car to head home, it sounded a bit rough... and it got rougher, then it sounded like it was not firing on all cylinders, and then it got VERY rough and then died. :mad:
Had it towed to a shop, where I await the news of just how screwed my wallet is about to be...

Yet another month with no Kerbal Instrument/Control panel parts, and I guess I'm not building a NAS to replace my TEN year old hard drives, the oldest of my spinning rust collection! :0.0:

To top this excellent week off, my school has now been closed, and my final exams probably postponed. That may not seem like a complaint, but this summer was supposed to be much longer than the lower years get, giving us a chance to properly relax after the stress of studying and stuff. Now the exams will probably be in September or something. 

This virus thingy has come at the worst possible time :mad:

3 hours ago, cubinator said:

We found weevils in a big container of rice we had at home. 

The weevils live there, not just eat the rice where somebody lives.
Why do you call this rice yours when in fact you were eating somebody's home.

2 hours ago, razark said:

Before or after eating it?

That was not my favorite night...

Before, heh.

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

The weevils live there, not just eat the rice where somebody lives.
Why do you call this rice yours when in fact you were eating somebody's home.

Home within a home. Of course it's their rice.

On 3/16/2020 at 8:53 AM, XB-70A said:

I'm really confused (and angry) right now...

Long story short: Pretty much every day, I'm passing next to Patrick Air Force Base, in Cocoa Beach. Most of the time, its parking areas are empty, but sometime an interesting aircraft is on the ground. I even had the chance to take some (bad) pictures of a C-5M recently. Today, I passed by once again, but as I was going to shot some ships leaving Port Canaveral, my camera was with me. I saw a 757-200 with her navigation lights turned on, so I decided to wait for her to take-off. 

I was waiting in my car, when I saw a KC-135 coming-in for landing or going-around. I jumped out of my car, and took a dozen of pictures of her. I was pretty happy, as I haven't seen any Stratotanker in the air for a while. Then, the 752 left. I took some picture of her too, and decided to stay a bit more for the KC-135 which was coming back.

However, right at the time I took pictures of the 752, I saw an old-man staring at me strangely from inside his truck. At first, I guessed he thought I was some kind of a "bad guy" taking pictures for "spying".  I was wearing flashy clothes, while standing 70 m/225 ft next to an Air Base's fence, and right into the sight of the control tower, talk about the perfect discretion... Anyway, I was about to leave when the guy decided to pass by my car. He took a picture of my plate, then a picture of me (I was staring at him while wondering), and he middle fingered me before leaving.

I must admit, I'm extremely bad at holding back my anger with insults. Right now, and about two hours after it happened, I still have my fingers' tips shaking slightly, and the will to make this old man pay for his gesture.

Also being worried about the reason why he did that, I stopped by one of the AFB's entrance gates to ask a Military Police officer, if what I did was illegal. He told me it was if my pictures had military installations in them; which they don't, as I only caught the two airplanes while they were flying. Anyway, I told him I will erase all pictures; which I have done.

Looking at some posts on aviation photographers forums, it seems like taking pictures of military aircraft in the US is legal as long as no military installations appear in them. Now, I'm just wondering if I'm going to have some visit in the next hours*, and also why that crazy old man did that to me... He could have rightly come to me, and tell me what I was doing wrong, instead of flipping me off.

* Which will be a waste of ressources. I'm not the first having taken pictures of a Stratotanker climbing from an AFB and flying over the sea.

Can confirm, USAF allows all kinds of pictures of airframes to be taken both from the ground and from the air. Pictures of active base operations, however, are not permitted.

12 hours ago, razark said:

Lucky you.  It's so much fun when you notice some of the rice is wriggling around in the container while you're cleaning up after dinner...

Makes me think back to the bag of salty cheesy snacks that I ate back in January, found the bottom of the bag to be kinda gross, looked in, saw light, peeked at the side of the bag, and found a mouse had chewed a big ol' hole in the side of the bag and helped itself to the bag that I had nearly finished. :0.0: 
I just gagged merely thinking about it... :/

I also got the quote for my car... $465. NO PARTS for my Kerbal Instrument panel for a WHILE! ;.;

The engine not firing on all cylinders was a bit of a red herring. The reason is it didn't have enough fuel to supply all the cylinders, cause the fuel pump failed.
I realized the oil and fluids all were due for changing too, and a diagnostic got done...
Ultimately, the bill ended up topping itself at $563, once all the extras were tacked on! Yikes! :o

It's frustrating... I just applied to a lab, only for the whole stinkin' world to go on lockdown cause history repeats itself...
The 1920s called... It want's it's pandemic, economic turmoil, lines for basic supplies, and shuttered bars back.

I love the job I'm doing now, but it's just not enough hours to do more than just get by. My entire tax refund has been consumed by catching up on bills (and getting them mostly paid ahead), and now the remainder will be consumed by this car repair. I don't even get to buy the cheap gear sets and position sensors to work on the next bit of my build.

I look at my car, see the oil there that's leaking,
While my wallet gently weeps
I look at the light and I see service blinking
Still my wallet gently weeps

I don't know why-y my fuel pump failed you
Hard to replace the part
I don't know how, wear and tear broke you
I bought one new for you

I look at the wheels and I notice no turning
While my wallet gently weeps
With hours of labor they must surely be billing
Still my wallet gently weeps

The pump some-how became impeded
The fuel diverted too
I knew not how the stall developed
No fuel flowed for you

I look at the bill, see the digits I'm fearing.
While my wallet gently weeps
As I'm sitting here doing nothing but paying
Still my wallet gently weeps