Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

On 3/27/2020 at 2:56 PM, Geonovast said:

MMMM Oatmeal Creme Pies.  I love those things.

Though they're not as good as Star Crunch or Zebra Cakes.  All of which are dangerous to have in the house since I tend to inhale them, so I don't buy them much.

genovast is an alien confirmed, those things are toxins disguised as food, or maybe that cat there is the owner of your account! :huh:

Spoiler

although zebra cakes are pretty tasty! :D

Edited by Dirkidirk

9 hours ago, Dirkidirk said:

genovast is an alien confirmed, those things are toxins disguised as food

Just once he inhales the smell, he can't stop until finishes the package.
So, he tries to keep away to stay thin.

Edited by kerbiloid

What's the difference between a person with IQ:100 not explaining something to a person IQ:92 and

• IQ:120 not explaining to IQ:100
  • IQ:135 not explaining to IQ:120

Not much.  Someone gets to feel dumb (when they're not).  Someone, haughtily arrogant, gets to feel smart, when they're not.  And nothing gets done, which is what renders everybody actually stupid and unproductive.

I'm not a mod-person, although I love the concept, but there's one KSP mod I absolutely lust for.  Its concept is so great!  I would say such bad things about it, though, that I can never reveal its name.

I've down-loaded it at least five times in five years and used it for a total of 25 minutes, all totally unsuccessfully.  Due to the IQ gap: the people who invested thousands of hours in their valuable concept thought it was beneath themselves to explain the concept to people who didn't just "get it".  No quick install guide.  No "Hello Kerbin".  No tutorial.  No examples.  No manual; no reference guide...  No Cigar.

And despite its strong download rankings, I actually believe from lack of evidence in the Forum, this mod has relatively few continual users...  Flop!

Even IQ:120 to IQ:120, any powerful software needs some guidance to be used effectively.  If I need to "figure it out" for myself, I might as well fork your repository and make it intuitive to use -- and document it.  But if you didn't care enough about your own idea to do the work, why would anyone else feel so inclined...?

"If you don't test software, it's broken"  Broken until proven correct.

Similarly, "if you don't test software with its intended users: it's unusable"

Ego is not saleable, sad to inform!!

Hotel26' Paradox: "if everyone was IQ 120, they'd all be IQ 100..."

Edited by Hotel26

27 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

I'm not a mod-person, although I love the concept, but there's one KSP mod I absolutely lust for.  I would say such bad things about it, though, that I can never reveal its name.

Two things:

1. Mod makers make mods for themselves. If they add documentation it's because they want to. That's just a fact of life.it's not elitism or anything like that, it's they only have so much spare time and they'd rather spend it making the game closer to their ideal than teaching others the intricacies of their mod.

2. I have had similar problems with Principia.

9 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

If they add documentation it's because they want to

You are quite correct.  Artists make Art for themselves and no one else.  If this wasn't true, it wouldn't be Art.  The bystanders just get lucky...

In the early 80s, two things were innovated: "periodic incompatibility", dubbed "planned obsolescence".  Documentation was phased out and replaced with "sink or swim".  Business decisions.  Good or bad, the verdict is extant.

You can tell I hate it.

It used to be that business believed that its role was to serve its clientele and make a profit doing so -- so that it could continue doing so.  Win-win.  An early definition of 'enterprise' that included a moral dimension.  Now outmoded.

How are we doing?

Edited by Hotel26

33 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

I've down-loaded it at least five times in five years and used it for a total of 25 minutes, all totally unsuccessfully.

Looks similar to some S.T.A.L.K.E.R's mod experiences... there was one (L.E.G.E.N.D.A.R.Y) that I really hope I could try one day. It turned out  the project had been dropped and it took me a while before I could find its Beta. I can't say how long it took me to install it properly, and the number of times I dropped it. The worst part is that the mod could run pretty well until certain points in the game; sometimes early in the story-line, sometimes at 90% of it. Beast point, since it runs perfectly, I have two copies of the THQ folder on two different drives. Knowing myself, I would be stupid enough to forget how I solved this problem.

5 minutes ago, XB-70A said:

The worst part is that the mod could run pretty well until certain points in the game

If there was ever a case to make for Squad to pick up a mod and "finish it" and "deliver it", this would be it.  Artists give the world unfinished ideas and then it is up to the world to decide whether or not to materialize it...

Edited by Hotel26

21 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

You can tell I hate it.

I do to, in business. Regarding the second one, my job is intricately intertwined with a vast knowledge store that is available to every customer of our product free of charge. I create, edit, curate, and index this knowledge, but mostly I create it. It is both the least favorite part of my job and the thing that I'm most proud of.

Of course this has nothing to do with my thoughts on modders. :)

On 3/29/2020 at 6:26 PM, Hotel26 said:

What's the difference

I didn't really understand what this thread was for, until last night, when I used it to have a good rant.

Blowing steam really worked, actually: I got the mod (that triggered the rant) to actually achieve my objective.

The original mod (that was the basis of the rant) will always be 'horsnip' (horse + redacted), I suppose.

Imagine if Albert Einstein built a Time Machine with a console like a Space Shuttle (and the form of Tardis), published no papers, and said, "figure it out (or build your own), if you want to use it"...  IQ has actually just got nothing to do with this.  It's more about the Tower of Babel and the Reinvention of the Wheel.  The antithesis of the "division of labor".

Go in peace.

Edited by Hotel26

It was appropriate to remove the (very much in anger) threats of violence to animals, but it was VERY WRONG and even possibly irresponsible to remove the entirety of the post. This was a TRAUMATIC event that happened to a cared for creature, and it was caused by another person's apathy and lack of control over his own dog. Some anger is understandable, and the first half of that post describes the tragic event, the neighbor's blatantly apathetic attitude, and the efforts to care for the injured animal. ONLY the last paragraph and final line were inappropriate.

I would argue that removing the entire post, and not simply editing out the last half of it (obviously written in anger) is more likely to incite deeper anger in the op, by removing what was an honest effort to vent frustration over a tragic and traumatic event. Venting the events of the tragedy is a means to dissipate the anger over the event, and to focus and ground one's thoughts.

My complaint... That post should have been edited for content, and not removed outright. I think that was incredibly insensitive against someone who just suffered a massive emotional trauma.

My apologies @Geonovast, I was angry. It won't happen again.

I could not take her to the vet hospital because of the total lockdown imposed in our country due to COVID-19. I could only offer her the very basic first aid.

She passed away yesterday somewhere around 11:30 PM local time. I was sleeping and woke up at 1:00 AM with a dreadful feeling in my chest. When I went to check up on her, she had already been subjected to Rigor Mortis. I offered flowers to her mortal shell and sprinkled the holy water of the River Ganga. I buried her far, far away from our place at the same spot where we first found and rescued her grandma.

TxJRrhl.jpg

This was when she was mastering the ancient technique of walking, at about 2 weeks old..

ZlgQ1rN.jpg

With her mother. Being an only child, she was always lonely and yearned for companionship. She was still a healthy, happy kitten...

kQrvkyU.jpg

Looking after her younger siblings. She was like a second mother to them. She looked after them when the Momma Cat would be gone. She would playfight with the lil kittens to make them ready for the cruel but beautiful world outside.

Yg8YXpA.jpg

Even her siblings loved her a lot. They would answer to her as much as they would answer to their mother's meows.

BI8TdGE.jpg

Good bye, you sweet, silly, jolly kitten. And thank you. For the 5 months you were with us, you were an absolute joy to behold. Never before did I see any other cat with a positive attitude that you had.

I am not bitter at your passing away, just sad. A pure soul like yourself will have no issues entering the Gates of Heaven. I am bitter that it had to be so unceremonious and your life had to be so unfulfilled.

May God save your soul from the infinitely painful cycle of birth,death and rebirth. May He have mercy on the souls of those who enabled your cruel death. For I won't.

I got a call from my ex-wife earlier this evening.  She has a cough and a fever.

Her mother is nearly 70, has a history of poor health, and recently got out of the hospital.

She's always been the type to argue with doctors and always knows better than trained professionals. :rolleyes:  The kind that thought she was invincible and didn't need to keep isolated.  The kind who went to the airport to pick up her boyfriend's daughter who just came back from spending spring break in Seattle.

The one who has my two children with her, and expects me to deal with them after they've been exposed to her for a week, just because she can't grow up and deal with reality. :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

Waiting on a new laptop (with Windows 10, ugh), should be here tomorrow.  Pulled up news this afternoon and first article I see is ANOTHER bad Win 10 update.  Grrrrr. Hopefully that one will be pulled before I go online & my new laptop starts downloading updates and turns itself into an expensive brick.  How many is that now?

1 hour ago, Cavscout74 said:

Waiting on a new laptop (with Windows 10, ugh), should be here tomorrow.  Pulled up news this afternoon and first article I see is ANOTHER bad Win 10 update.  Grrrrr. Hopefully that one will be pulled before I go online & my new laptop starts downloading updates and turns itself into an expensive brick.  How many is that now?

Is there any particular reason you need to stick with Windows?  If you hate Windows 10 that much, you do have other options if you don't need some super-proprietary applications.

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

Is there any particular reason you need to stick with Windows?  If you hate Windows 10 that much, you do have other options if you don't need some super-proprietary applications.

It's just the easy option - and it was the only option I saw from MSI.  I've never used Linux - although this run of faulty Win10 updates has me thinking about trying to learn it.  Plus, last I heard KSP2 will only be released in Windows, at least in the beginning.

4 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

It's just the easy option - and it was the only option I saw from MSI.  I've never used Linux - although this run of faulty Win10 updates has me thinking about trying to learn it.  Plus, last I heard KSP2 will only be released in Windows, at least in the beginning.

Understandable.  The good thing about Linux is you can try most distros without installing it.  And as far KSP2 ... well, I play plenty of Windows only games using Steam/Proton or WINE, and many of them work just fine.  It's not perfect, but it's getting better.

In fact it's hilariously frustrating that ARK: Survival Evolved is supposedly Windows/Mac/Linux, yet the Linux version doesn't work at all... however the Windows version works better for me on Linux in Proton than it does in Windows.

3 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

Pulled up news this afternoon and first article I see is ANOTHER bad Win 10 update.

Those "news" stories are about as newsworthy as the "this teen took a selfie and was surprised when it went viral, then she saw..." stories.

A couple of weeks ago I posted about the earthquake in Zagreb and how the cathedral was damaged. It turns out that while the south spire partially collapsed, the north one sustained significant damage in roughly the same spot where the south one broke off. They decided that the damage is too severe to try to repair and it is being demolished. It is happening right as I type this. They are going to use explosives to cut it and catch it with a huge crane. The boom should happen in about half an hour or so. If you want to, you can watch live stream of it happening:

https://www.facebook.com/HRTvijesti/

Edited by Shpaget

It's done. Took a bit longer than expected due to some miscalculation, but 23 tons of rock was safely lowered.

428ac4d0d88aabf9f92f.jpeg

dk_katedralai05-170420.jpg

Military drones inspecting the cut and monitoring the situation.

The explosion caused a small fire, but it quickly burned itself out (it was just some protective plastic lining). It did look ugly for a moment, with all the black smoke.

Next on the agenda is fix the two top bits and put them back up. That's going to take a few years, though. They still need to figure out how to approach the problem of the damaged scaffolding on the south tower (the cathedral has been under renovation for a while and the work was nearing completion), but when the south spire collapsed, it fell on the scaffolding.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, double post, but today I broke my snare pad for the second time in 10 months... :mad:

0xFjuQl.jpg

Average lifespan of five months only. This without counting I'm playing only once a week, and without going fully Ian Paice.

I wish I could switch to solid 12" snare and tom pads instead of those awful ones with fibers, but I cannot afford those right now.

Edited by XB-70A