Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

On 10/15/2020 at 11:37 PM, Nuke said:

so star trek is a dystopia now. 

Dystopia + Mary Sue = Moar dystopia. Welcome to a world where everyone, save Mary, is incompetent. <_<

8 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Unlikely, as Russians use Latin letters for maths.

You can also replace R with Я.

I didn't know that. Huh.

And I still haven't figured out how to write "ya" smoothly. Ah well.

13 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

My computer just got a BSOD and died for the 3rd time this week, so that's pretty fun. Thankfully I'll be building a new one as soon as the RTX 3070 drops.

dude I've gotten it like 3 times in one day here. Mildly concerning buuuuuut its fine.....

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

dude I've gotten it like 3 times in one day here. Mildly concerning buuuuuut its fine.....

I've been having drive issues since I got it. I replaced the hard disk with a WD Black drive but it still had all sorts of problems. I've finally decided to just put it down.

7 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

I've been having drive issues since I got it. I replaced the hard disk with a WD Black drive but it still had all sorts of problems. I've finally decided to just put it down.

Welp... RIP computer. Hopefully the next one works more reliably

My thing to whine about... I want to be done with spinning rust, but SSDs are simply still too expensive for mass bulk storage solutions for regular folk.
I'm sorry, but I can't justify the still massive cost to go pure solid state yet, and I just want to be done with yet another point of mechanical failure... 

I finally got the final adjustment done on the rear brakes on the truck. Between the hunting trip, replacing the brakes on the truck, and moving my mom, I've been going non-stop for almost three weeks. I'm done. I'm going to pour myself an oversized adult beverage and turn into a tourist. :P

3 hours ago, catloaf said:

Minecraft Java Microsoft accounts, need I say more: https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/java-edition-moving-house

Well, having one version of Minecraft that didn't have any Microsoft in it was fun while it lasted. I just hope they don't go any further like they did with the mobile and console versions of the game *cough* microtransactions *cough*

THEY CHANGED MY SCOTCH!!! :mad:

I've been drinking Glenlivet 12yr for over two decades now, almost since I started drinking scotch in the first place. I'm getting towards the bottom of my most recent bottle, so I go to the store to buy another, and they don't have it anymore. Now their 12yr bottle is Glenlivet Double Oak. Just to say I tried, I bought a bottle and my wife and I both did blind tastings vs what was left in my old bottle. It isn't the same, and it is nowhere near as good. The Double Oak has way too much tannin, way too harsh on the palate. This bottle will wind up as a mixer, which is a fate worse than death for a single malt.

I mean, who does this? This sort of product is entirely about brand loyalty. People find a brand that they like and they buy it for their entire lives. They swear by it. They get into arguments in bars over it. If you make a radical change like this you're gambling that the customers who like your old product will decide to just buy your new product, even though it no longer has the characteristics that made them buy your product in the first place. It makes no sense to me.

So now I have to go out and find another brand. It feels like what I imagine going out and dating again when you're in your 50s would feel like. Expensive, tedious, and awkward.

USPS Shipping Partners.
Nuff said.

My parts for my Kerbal Instrument Panel's Tape Meter drive assembly have FINALLY been received by the USPS system... Today, on the 28th...
The order was placed on Sept 15th
The seller got it shipped on the 30th
It arrived in the US on Oct 11th
Got through customs on the 12th...
And has sat with a USPS shipping partner till yesterday. It finally was received by USPS, on the 28th...

Accounting for the 15 day delay due to the supplier backlog, it spent 11 days in overseas transit, and 17 days (likely delivery is Friday, so total of 19 days) in US transit...
In what universe should domestic shipping take longer than international!

1 day in customs, 16 days at a shipping partner, and 2 days with USPS...
I sense a weak link in the chain... :huh:

Edited by richfiles

Somethings snatched away from me three of the five kittens in quick succession over a week ago. I felt that no matter what I do, these cats keep dying, I should not cage them like this. So I took the surviving kittens and cats to a nearby forest. And thus, I lose yet another of the very few remaining anchors holding down my sanity.

As of this moment, the 'somethings' responsible for the deaths have ceased to be a problem. Oddly, it has not made things better. I am still having nightmares of my kittens' bodies, my house feels like a graveyard even now. There is no sound, except the ticking of clocks. I can not go to sleep. Even now I half-expect them to jump at me from beneath the shrubs or from behind a flower pot.

I would like to think that my Gods are testing me, but over the years, I have had very few moments when I could be truly happy. Anything and anyone who could contribute to my happiness was ruthlessly taken away from me. Thus it makes more sense to believe that the Gods above have abandoned me. When I pass on I will ask Them the reasons for my torment. But for now, I too have rejected Them.

On 11/1/2020 at 1:23 AM, Selective Genius said:

There is no sound, except the ticking of clocks. I can not go to sleep. Even now I half-expect them to jump at me from beneath the shrubs or from behind a flower pot.

Since my cat passed away in May, I too have experienced this feeling many times. I hear a creak, a noise, a scratch... and for a brief moment, I think of her... Then I remember that she's gone. I'll step into a room and it just feels incredibly empty. The thing that lets me get past it is remembering the joyful times that I had when she was with me. My cat loved belly rubs, and I can still remember that joy. I know that she had a good  life, because she appreciated the contact as much as I did. I'll alway still miss her though.

On 10/22/2020 at 2:06 AM, RealKerbal3x said:

Well, having one version of Minecraft that didn't have any Microsoft in it was fun while it lasted. I just hope they don't go any further like they did with the mobile and console versions of the game *cough* microtransactions *cough*

I just don't get why they made Bedrock a worse version to play, then locked RTX to it. It's a huge pain and I'm not buying a second, worse version of Minecraft just for ray tracing. 

27 minutes ago, Kernel Kraken said:

I just don't get why they made Bedrock a worse version to play, then locked RTX to it. It's a huge pain and I'm not buying a second, worse version of Minecraft just for ray tracing. 

You can still get ray-tracing shader packs for Java, it's just they're mods and not officially supported.

On 11/2/2020 at 2:57 PM, richfiles said:

I'll alway still miss her though.

I for one, have gone weary of burying innocent kittens who had their whole life to live. It has been four kittens this year alone. Why those kittens? They were like 2 months and 4 months old. They were the picture of innocence, not even a shred of malice in their pure souls. So many horrible men and women live on this planet solely to spread pain and misery in order to advance themselves. Why can't those selfish cretins die? How is any of this, justice?

This is the image I wanted to share merely 2 days before the incident but I decided not to, because of the poor image quality. But this is the only photo where I have the entire family of 9 cats was together.

hcnEs0P.jpg

And now there are none. Just me and my solitude.

2 hours ago, Selective Genius said:

And now there are none. Just me and my solitude.

;.;

We only have 1 cat, and we have been forced to make sure she doesn't get outside, outside where we are tends to be fatal for cats (predators, including 2 larger types of cats).

Pretty sad when your employer tries to do something nice but is so screwed up they can't even get it right.  I came into work today to find a nice, framed certificate sitting on my desk, recognizing my 15 years of service to the company.  Really makes me want to say "Thanks guys, but you do realize I've only actually been here 13 years & 2 months? "  If you wanted to add the first time I worked here & got laid off, that would only bring it to 14 years. 

At least they haven't posted a job opening for a deceased employee without telling their coworkers the missing employee was deceased first.  Oh wait, they did that too....

I guess I'm not really surprised. I just noticed two of my videos linked in my sig have been copyright blocked by SME because of the AC/DC music. I suppose it's absolutely no coincidence that AC/DC just released a new single with an album coming out next week. Especially since another video that has music by another group owned by SME was not blocked.

*digs around*

After looking at what stuff I've uploaded, I have 6 copyright claims of which three are blocked. The third one is of a mohole glitch which has Chris Isaak music and a whopping 9 views lol. But for the other songs they're not concerned about blocking it?

*digs more*

Oh, I see. For the claims that weren't blocked they apparently run ads on them instead, payable to the copyright owner. That's fair.  Why couldn't they do that with the three that were blocked instead of alienating me?

6 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Oh, I see. For the claims that weren't blocked they apparently run ads on them instead, payable to the copyright owner. That's fair.  Why couldn't they do that with the three that were blocked instead of alienating me?

Maybe it's up to the original artist?

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

Maybe it's up to the original artist?

Oh probably. And I realize it’s all done by bots. But it’s counterintuitive to think that by blocking it it’ll encourage me to buy their new single/album. Or that leaving it alone (or running ads) will hinder sales. 

My bicycle tire is flat, the only bicycle pump i have isn't working and i was planning on visiting my grandparents for the first time in months tomorrow.  :<

Luckily their house should only be roughly 30 minutes away by foot :>

Job Satisfaction Story of the Day:

When a user submits an access request through our access request system, and then half-an-hour later sends an angry email to me and my boss asking why it hasn't been approved yet. Maybe because the request is still waiting on approval from the user's boss? :rolleyes: