Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

8 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Belly laugh. :D

But, to be fair, even the Air Force has started walking back on the F-35. I don't know if I would go so far as that article does and say that the F-35 "failed", but the program suffered from breathtaking levels of scope creep and produced a product that was nowhere near the original project goals.

In short, the Air Force needs a new Fighter Mafia.

Why you gotta pull an article made by David Axe when the man is famous for not giving factual stuff, and obviously Fighter Mafia are a bunch of goofs who don't understand the realities of Modern Air Combat

9 hours ago, DDE said:

Ah, yes, F-35, the starter of many a flame war. The program's tall costs and significant overruns do make it a big fat target, and sniping at it has turned into a genre in itself.

For starters, the 1 trillion cost accounts for the entire life span of the F-35 program which includes all of the maintenance it requires, future upgrade capabilities... Basically all of the stuff that comes from the F-35 until 2070 where the Aircraft is projected to be retired. This also accounted the Inflation rate of the economy and other numeric stuff that only economist would understand.  Cost overruns and delays are nothing unique and something that’s very common across similar programs. Rafale took 15 years between first prototype to achieving IOC (which is same as F-35 program), exceeding the deadline by 5 years. Eurofighter Typhoon took 20 years between demonstrator’s first flight and IOC, exceeding the deadline by 4.5 years

Secondly. Many Air Exercise such as Red Flag or Northern Edge alone proved the F-35 capabilities outshine its Legacy predecessor (F-15 to F/A-18) with it alone having a KDR of 28-1 against legacy aircraft.

Those chumps at Facebook keep trying to peddle nonsensical home treatments for Covid and their audience lap it all up. Did you know that you can deal with oxygen deficiency by blowing a conch shell? Apparently it will open up all the pores in your lungs and there would be tons of oxygen for the body! I guess modern medicine was a waste of time and money then!! Let's blow conch shells. :mad:

I usually don't bother with those hacks, but one of my mother's friends followed these 'health tips' and put lime juice in her nostrils yesterday to 'Sanitize' against the virus. She ended up losing vision in her left eye. What the hell, mate what the hell!

I believe the Government should either arrest these quacks and hacks for causing damage to people's health intentionally just for clicks and views Or it should admit that these hacks are right and dismantle the modern medicinal institutions of the country.

On 5/18/2021 at 11:50 PM, DDE said:

*sigh*

the a-10 usually wins because BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT.

20 hours ago, Selective Genius said:

Those chumps at Facebook keep trying to peddle nonsensical home treatments for Covid and their audience lap it all up. Did you know that you can deal with oxygen deficiency by blowing a conch shell? Apparently it will open up all the pores in your lungs and there would be tons of oxygen for the body! I guess modern medicine was a waste of time and money then!! Let's blow conch shells. :mad:

I usually don't bother with those hacks, but one of my mother's friends followed these 'health tips' and put lime juice in her nostrils yesterday to 'Sanitize' against the virus. She ended up losing vision in her left eye. What the hell, mate what the hell!

I believe the Government should either arrest these quacks and hacks for causing damage to people's health intentionally just for clicks and views Or it should admit that these hacks are right and dismantle the modern medicinal institutions of the country.

while i think the facebook quacks and snake oil salesmen are worse than the virus, my opinions of health care proper are not much better. 

Gripe # 1 : Last spring, I realized I had made a mistake while attempting to winterize our RV the previous fall. As in, where did all this water come from, pooled underneath the... hot water heater compartment?!? Oh for........ !!! Needless to say, the tank had frozen and split. Given that a replacement unit (widely available) cost around $1K, we did without since we didn't camp much last year. But this year, since we just refinanced our abode to do a kitchen reno, I figured we could replace the water heater. But 'lo and behold, everywhere I look online is out of stock, with no idea when it'll be available. Even the used RV part stockpile on Craigslist that I was meaning to check out has vanished. So yeah. Maybe I'll check out one of those portable camping on-demand propane water heaters. A lot cheaper too.... And hey, at least now I have new, fully and independently solar-charged batteries in the thing. Now I just need to sanitize the water tank and a bit more tinkering then we're good to go camp off-grid... with the bears

Gripes # 2, 3, 4, etc:

Did I mention the kitchen reno? Yaaaaa.... Up until now, things were going well, considering all we were doing was ordering stuff and signing stuff and paying for stuff. But now that we actually want our stuff, well.... Isn't it an unwritten rule that no reno can go smoothly?

Our new fridge was supposed to be delivered today, but we never heard any confirmation on that. Following up today with the appliance store, we find out that they've suffered a cyberattack and all their systems are suspended until further notice while they try to bring the systems back up. So, stuck waiting for them. Ah well, good thing we're not in a real hurry or anything.

So, my wife starts talking to our kitchen designer about it. It seems there are some delays getting stuff from suppliers, surprise, surprise. Oh, and by the way, she just got "let go" from the cabinet place today effective yesterday, which was a stat holiday. So we're not really her problem anymore anyways, but she'll do what she can to see that it gets done. :facepalm: Nonetheless, talking to the cabinet shop was reassuring; our kitchen was already being built, and our tentative (never really finalized) install date was only slipping by two weeks.

My wife, bless her, has this trait where she can't rest (or let me rest) if she thinks something needs to be done. This is generally a good thing, since stuff gets done in a timely fashion, although it can be annoying sometimes (good thing she doesn't read these forums). Sometimes it bites her in the SAS, since she couldn't wait to get the upper cabinets down so she could start painting. So those came down yesterday, she bought paint today, and... Oops, waiting for stuff....

At least we have the pile of vinyl flooring sitting in a corner, waiting for me to put it down after I tear up this cheap faux hardwood stuff

And the real work hasn't even begun yet...

Well... I started looking into re-glassing OLED panels.
My phone's screen is cracked, but the OLED was fine.
The process is finicky, but it figured I could do it with the tools I had, and I had my older cracked screen as a fallback.
I ended up ordering an $8 replacement glass, which ought to arrive any day now...

Unfortunately, my OLED panel had an exposed corner that apparently got damaged.
Now I have a blindingly bright vertical line of pixels stuck on...
Great... So much for the cheap fix. Instantly went from $8 to $120... Joy... :mad:

On 5/25/2021 at 8:14 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

Gripe # 1 : Last spring, I realized I had made a mistake while attempting to winterize our RV the previous fall. As in, where did all this water come from, pooled underneath the... hot water heater compartment?!? Oh for........ !!! Needless to say, the tank had frozen and split. Given that a replacement unit (widely available) cost around $1K, we did without since we didn't camp much last year. But this year, since we just refinanced our abode to do a kitchen reno, I figured we could replace the water heater. But 'lo and behold, everywhere I look online is out of stock, with no idea when it'll be available. Even the used RV part stockpile on Craigslist that I was meaning to check out has vanished. So yeah. Maybe I'll check out one of those portable camping on-demand propane water heaters. A lot cheaper too.... And hey, at least now I have new, fully and independently solar-charged batteries in the thing. Now I just need to sanitize the water tank and a bit more tinkering then we're good to go camp off-grid... with the bears

Gripes # 2, 3, 4, etc:

Did I mention the kitchen reno? Yaaaaa.... Up until now, things were going well, considering all we were doing was ordering stuff and signing stuff and paying for stuff. But now that we actually want our stuff, well.... Isn't it an unwritten rule that no reno can go smoothly?

Our new fridge was supposed to be delivered today, but we never heard any confirmation on that. Following up today with the appliance store, we find out that they've suffered a cyberattack and all their systems are suspended until further notice while they try to bring the systems back up. So, stuck waiting for them. Ah well, good thing we're not in a real hurry or anything.

So, my wife starts talking to our kitchen designer about it. It seems there are some delays getting stuff from suppliers, surprise, surprise. Oh, and by the way, she just got "let go" from the cabinet place today effective yesterday, which was a stat holiday. So we're not really her problem anymore anyways, but she'll do what she can to see that it gets done. :facepalm: Nonetheless, talking to the cabinet shop was reassuring; our kitchen was already being built, and our tentative (never really finalized) install date was only slipping by two weeks.

My wife, bless her, has this trait where she can't rest (or let me rest) if she thinks something needs to be done. This is generally a good thing, since stuff gets done in a timely fashion, although it can be annoying sometimes (good thing she doesn't read these forums). Sometimes it bites her in the SAS, since she couldn't wait to get the upper cabinets down so she could start painting. So those came down yesterday, she bought paint today, and... Oops, waiting for stuff....

At least we have the pile of vinyl flooring sitting in a corner, waiting for me to put it down after I tear up this cheap faux hardwood stuff

And the real work hasn't even begun yet...

You’re not alone. Im an architect and the supply disruptions on a slew of items are a huge problem right now, appliances especially. Its probably going to take more than a year for most of the chaos caused by covid and tariffs to shake out. We’re just begging for patience from all our clients. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

34 minutes ago, tater said:

Firefox proton is garbage.

In general, UI people need to be fired, they "fix" UIs invariably to make them worse, not better.

LOL

Our college rolled out v2.0 of our internally-developed access management web application this week. (For which I am a major access approver.) Big general announcement from the CIO to all staff, etc, etc. I go ahead and log in, go through the positive enrollment process for my access, and then I'm fishing around in it, and I get very confused. So I shoot off an email to the head developer, "So, where do I go to approve the access requests? I'm not seeing that part when I log in." His response: "Yeah. We are kinda still working out the bugs in that part, it's not quite ready for release yet." So they released an access approval system in which it is actually impossible to approve access requests.

If you'll pardon me, I'm just going to go replace the sign out in front of our college.

clown-show-banner-sign-vector-for-tradit

On 6/2/2021 at 10:04 AM, TheSaint said:

LOL

Our college rolled out v2.0 of our internally-developed access management web application this week. (For which I am a major access approver.) Big general announcement from the CIO to all staff, etc, etc. I go ahead and log in, go through the positive enrollment process for my access, and then I'm fishing around in it, and I get very confused. So I shoot off an email to the head developer, "So, where do I go to approve the access requests? I'm not seeing that part when I log in." His response: "Yeah. We are kinda still working out the bugs in that part, it's not quite ready for release yet." So they released an access approval system in which it is actually impossible to approve access requests.

If you'll pardon me, I'm just going to go replace the sign out in front of our college.

clown-show-banner-sign-vector-for-tradit

S.N.A.F.U.  (Situation normal, all fudged up)

Gearing up for a series of projects using raspberry pi to learn python among other things, and it seems like lately when Amazon says one day shipping, you won't so much get it in one day, more like you'll get it one day, maybe.

Starting to feel like I'm personally underwriting the specialty cable industry, and I haven't even started running basic projects yet

Scope creep, my old nemesis, we meet again.

14 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Had to make the decision to take our little old dog to the vet today so he could go to the clearing where the path ends. He had no quality of life left and it... was time. :sob:

Sorry to hear this. We don't deserve dogs. :(