Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

2 hours ago, tater said:

%$#@%$##^%ing firefox updated and there is no way to get rid of Proton, so it looks awful.

Maybe I switch to Vivaldi, I can't stand the way the browser looks now.

I felt the same at first, but got used to it pretty quickly. After all, I hardly look at the UI.

Here's a way to get rid of the new look:

https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-enable-new-firefox-proton-design-now/

3 minutes ago, Chemp said:

Hm, seems that Mozilla removed some flags.

If you want to invest some time, there's still a workaround but it's far from perfect.

https://www.askvg.com/tip-new-working-method-to-restore-classic-theme-and-ui-in-firefox-91-and-later-versions/

Yeah, I read that earlier today over coffee while I was raging about how my browser looked. I lacked the will to do anything that complex.

UPS tracking said my hard drives were gonna be delivered on Monday... Awesome! I know UPS delivers in the afternoons in my area, and the estimated delivery window isn 1:30pm to 4:45 pm... That's a good thing, cause I had to go talk to HUD that morning. They were going over my income, and apparently decided that I made an extra $10k more from unemployment than I actually did! Believe me... I wish I had an extra $10k just laying around... but I don't. and that number grossly affects what I owe for rent at this apartment! I knew exactly what they did though... Cause they did it to me once before! I could even pick out exactly what numbers they based their error on and just do the math to get the exact erroneous number they were claiming... You see, they simply took my Weekly benefit maximum limit, and multiplied it by 52 weeks, rather than actually looking at my net payments and tax withholdings, and adding up those two values, for all 52 weeks. A single number x 52, or the addition of 104 unique values... They chose the simpler option, despite knowing it was wrong! The lady in the office actually admitted that "she expected to see me"... WHY!!! Why do the work wrong, when you KNOW it's wrong, and will HAVE TO BE CORRECTED ANYWAY!?!? :mad:

Well, that was dealt with. I had originally planned to visit my mother and help her out with a few things on Monday, but with he package arriving, I decided to wait on that, and stay home to babysit the door. I was tired that day, so I even went online and electronically pre-signed the release for the package, just incase I managed to nod off when they came. I watched the UPS tracker, even watched the truck indicate it was at my location... And nothing. I even poke my head out the door a few times, looked outside to the parking lot... Nothin'...

Next thing I know, the tracking updates to say "Customer not available at door, package will be left at UPS Access Point next business day"... WAT!?!? :mad:

Tracking updated at 5:11. I was literally at my door the whole time. I had put off plans to be at said door! I called UPS, and after being spit out and hung up on a few times by a bot, I finally managed to get through to a person at 5:24pm. I explained the situation, and how the driver completely flaked out on the delivery. After a short hold, I was too the driver had been contacted and would return to deliver the package, and that I should receive a callback.

I stood in the parking lot, waiting for that truck... After half an hour, no callback, no truck. I called again, got hung up on by the bot a few more times, and finally got through to a human. This time I was told the truck did not turn around, and it was too late in the day to make the delivery happen.  They said if I wanted it same day, I could drive three towns over and pick it up from the distribution center (I hadn't slept the entire night... No way I was driving), or they could redeliver the next day, either to my address, or to a UPS Access Point. The person on the phone then mentioned that the reason the package wasn't left, was because (according to the driver) the address was present, but not the apartment number. Suggested that the seller had forgot to put the apartment number on the address. I figured, if that was the case, it couldn't be helped... I said I didn't wanna be tied to my door for a second day in a row, so just send it to the Access Point (which is an auto parts store I know).

I went back in and sat down at my computer. I checked my email, and when I saw the out for delivery notification I had received earlier that morning, I very clearly saw my apartment number listed as part of the address... I was immediately back on the phone... At this point, I didn't even know why I was calling. I was just furious and defeated, and whining about it to someone was all I had left. I just wanted to imagine that driver being chewed out by a supervisor for so blatantly and repeatedly jerking around a customer that had waited the whole day for that package. I wanted to yell at that driver, but I just was defeated. I was tired, and I said as much over the phone... That I just don't want myself or other customers to be so blatantly jerked around by what is clearly a load of BS. The driver BSed me. The first agent BSed me, the second agent BSed me... The third agent couldn't do anything really, but escalate my complaints, and I actually thanked them for letting me vent a bit. I knew they weren't any of the ones that had jerked me around before. They suggested they'd arrange a callback by the distribution center manager... I honestly was so tired, I just wanted to sleep, so I tried to say it wasn't really necessary, so long as the package makes it in the end... half an hour, and no callback, so I figure all is fine... and then at just a moment before 8pm, I do get a callback. manager confirmed that the address on the box was perfectly legible and included the apartment number. The driver or the agent... one of the two, just straight up lied about that. I got some basic info on when the package ought to be delivered, and finally realized I hadn't eaten... I knew the Chinese restaurant would be closed Tuesday, so I decided to check if they were still open... They had closed 3 minutes prior... Craving denied, not just then but for the next day as well! Made something quick and simple, and then went to bed, finally.

The next day, I ran some morning errands, and decided to do laps through downtown with my Gotcha device to collect inventory in Pokemon Go... The company recently reduced the interaction distance to stops by half, and it means I can barely keep up my inventory anymore without dedicating 1-2 hours a day to just doing laps... It's awful, and I have been playing less, and have refused to spend ANY money on the game. After a solid 2 hours of Niantic wasting my time, I got the notification that my package had arrived at the Access Point. I was only a few blocks away, and swung by... To see this:

0810211203.jpg

The box was moist to the touch. It doesn't show well, but it looks like the wet side had been slid, like it was slid through a small puddle. Fortunately, the hard drives are in special hard drive carriers that suspend them far from the box edges, and each drive is individually sealed in an ESD bag. Still, it was downright shocking to see the condition of the box. For it to be moist was weird. Honestly, part of me suspects retaliation. Driver got chewed out, decided to give my box the special treatment... I dunno. The wrong drives, that I had to return, arrived in an identical box. Only difference, was that it was pristine!

Spoiler

More angles of moistness. This is just sad, and moist.

0810211203a.jpg

UPS... did not impress me with their service...

The good news, is I finally had all the parts on hand for my NAS server. Last thing I needed to do was salvage the SSD from my tablet. I wanted to upgrade my tablet from 128gb to 1tb, and I figured I could reuse the old SSD as the boot volume for the server, rather than buy a new one. Only problem, is the drive cloning process failed 3 times, and nearly failed a fourth, but did eventually work, no thanks to Windows update trying to squeeze one last update in at the last second. Eventually, that was all straightened up. Only took 2 and a half days of messing around...

Now my NAS is up and booted, and I now have the joy of figuring out... How do I NAS? :valawe:

Spoiler

This has only taken me since March to get put together...

0811210341_HDR.jpg?width=440&height=587

Oh yeah, I almost forgot... I got the quote back from that metal fabricator... They wanted $520 to supply me with the honeycomb pattern perforated brass plate I was interested in. I figured it'd be spendy... I thought maybe $80-$130 tops... $520 though, for two pieces that are 33cm by 50cm... Big yikes! I'm gonna have to turn that down.

Today in second-world problems:

Finally McDonalds has their salads back :blush:

Without any cucumbers :/

...alright, alright, I'll buy a bag of carrot sticks to make something worthwhile of the bag of lettuce.

6 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Better hope it was just water….

No kidding... You're not the only one who thought that...

Nature narrator: "Here, we can see a low ranked wild UPS driver asserting its dominance by marking a customer's package. The customer had previously coaxed a dominant UPS manager, the local group's alpha, to chastise the lower ranked member of the group. This manner of retaliation is generally ineffective, and is typically only seen in the lowest ranked members of the UPS group. The alpha may choose to either further chastise, or even expel the rebellious driver from the group, should their challenges to the alpha's authority continue."
:valhappy:

Now about soaked things and overflows: Russia's southern seaside has received some rain.

Namely a year's worth.

In one day.

Tourism industry status: rekt. For the second time this year.

Note that "storm sewers" is a concept alien to these southern towns, everyone does whatever with their own section of the curb, and so there's next to no effective drainage even on major streets.

Well, the inevitable happened... My brother, who doesn't think Covid is real, and that it's all just a "nasty flu"... Is fine...
His 5 year old son, on the other hand, is likely going to be intubated tonight...

Are you proud of your pride now? Was your stubbornness worth it? Who else have you given this to?

I am so angry right now, that my hands are shaking... I TRIED, over and over, to explain why all this matters...
His wife has been ill, his 8 year old daughter is mildly ill now. His 1.5 year old baby girl is recovering, but was very sick last week.
So far, only himself, and his oldest son, are the only ones not sick.
His oldest has Cerebral Palsy, can't communicate, can't self regulate his temp, can't walk without a walker, and requires a feeding tube to eat,
I... I can't even imagine how bad things will get if his oldest kid gets it... I'm legitimately terrified of how bad it could be.

But here he is, the only one who for sure hasn't yet gotten sick yet, watching his pride sicken his whole family, and now hospitalize his second youngest son.
I want to know if the pride and the stubbornness was worth it. Will he justify it if his kid recovers? Will he forgive himself if he doesn't?
I'm 100% convinced he's still running on pride... he still hasn't told me or our mother. I only know this secondhand...
Does he plan to just not say a word if his son recovers?

Did he plan to just drop a surprise bombshell on us if he doesn't?

Don't let pride and stubbornness rule your life.
My brother is facing this almost entirely alone, and I think it's because he's still refusing to let go of his pride.

I believe I was covided in the beginning of this year (not only me, but some relatives also).

Didn't make an antibody analysis or so, but after that flu-like illness I still feel the changed smell of some foods exactly like the covided ones describe.

A pushy heavy sweet smell from any sulfur compound (mostly H2S, I guess), like any meat, eggs, onion, sulfur mineral water, wet towels.
A "burnt" bitter smell from any marinade.

Maybe the former was intended to make me a vegan, but the latter ensures me that this is pointless,.

42 minutes ago, richfiles said:

Well, the inevitable happened... My brother, who doesn't think Covid is real, and that it's all just a "nasty flu"... Is fine...
His 5 year old son, on the other hand, is likely going to be intubated tonight...

My heartfelt sympathy for you, man.  This is nothing to like, my reaction to your post is my show of support.

I'm over 3 weeks past getting my 2nd Pfizer shot.  I'm still keeping my infection control because even though vaccinated means I have a much lower chance of getting infected and it's likely not to be a serious illness, I don't even want to risk that in my life.

I also have to worry about 2 friends who I see from time to time, who for their own and very different--but completely illegitimate reasons--won't vaccinate.  I tried to explain it, get the importance of getting vaccinated across.  I failed with both.

So I also maintain infection control to minimize the risk of my friends getting infected.

Especially as the leadership of the Province of Alberta, Canada, where I live, are complete idiots who've just barely started to notice that this pandemic ain't over and people are still getting sick, filling hospitals, and dying.  The rollback of the Public Health measures for the pandemic has been paused 6 weeks.  That's not enough as far too many people are going around with no masks and acting as if they didn't have a care in the world.

At least the business employees are still masked.

11 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

I believe I was covided in the beginning of this year (not only me, but some relatives also).

Whether you had COVID-19 or not, the medical advice is to still get the vaccine, as the level of immunity from the illness is random and not necessarily as good as getting the vaccine.

So if you've not been vaccinated, please get vaccinated.  It may save your life and the lives of others.

If you've not do so, as well please consult a doctor about what appears to be post-COVID symptoms.

Edited by Jacke

The good news is that our sole vaxx-shy (or rather, needle-challenged) holdout - who blames his bouts of diarrhea on COVID not booze and thinks he's been sick two or three times - is the only one around. Much like his father broke his finger with a cheap, vibration-prone weedwhacker, there's a point where you give up on stubborn oafs.

It's a pity sometimes others have to suffer. To quote a propaganda capmpaign that seems to have been regrettably shelved (the new one is utter celeb derp), "How many more have to die before you vaccinate?"

In other news... It's not Covid.

Still don't know what, but Covid was ruled out as the cause of my brother's kid's illness.
Like, I'm grateful that it's not Covid... but it still doesn't change that the kid is sick... and now with an unknown cause.
And I'm worried that my brother will now double down on his BS... "See, it wasn't covid."

At least I can counter though, with "Well, now you know that the doctors aren't padding the numbers, and they actually are excluding non-covid cases"
Not sure if it'll even matter though...

**EDIT**
It ended up being a case of RSV that got nasty. The kid is okay. My brother's been very quiet lately...
It's clear to see he's thinking about a lot of things right now... I hope he's thinking about the right things.

Edited by richfiles

2 hours ago, richfiles said:

At least I can counter though, with "Well, now you know that the doctors aren't padding the numbers, and they actually are excluding non-covid cases"

Whoa-wee, do you seriously expect the narrative to stay consistent from day to day?

My parents are convinced the counting practices change several times a month to produce the trend that is deemed necessary by local authorities at the time.

I woke up 3 days ago not able to get out of bed, ambulance picked me up and took me to the hospital. As it turns out it was just a very bad muscle strain,

The fact these r*****s on facebook and twitter think aircraft and spacecraft are bad for the enviorment.

On 8/15/2021 at 6:49 PM, richfiles said:

In other news... It's not Covid.

Still don't know what, but Covid was ruled out as the cause of my brother's kid's illness.
Like, I'm grateful that it's not Covid... but it still doesn't change that the kid is sick... and now with an unknown cause.
And I'm worried that my brother will now double down on his BS... "See, it wasn't covid."

Your nephew's illness makes the threat of COVID even greater for him.  If he's being even considered for intubation means it's likely a condition with his lungs.  If he gets COVID now or later on, things will be worse for him if he hadn't had this disease.

You may not have heard of the Bhopal disaster in 1984, where due to safety cuts and incompetence there was a serious leak of toxic gas in Bhopal, India.  Over 500,000 people exposed to the toxins, deaths in the thousands.

The survivors of that disaster have lung damage.  When COVID hit India, the victims of Bhopal had much greater rate of illness, seriousness of illness, and rate of death.  Rajkumar Keswani, the local journalist who investigated and published articles on the safety lapses even before the accident, was one of the Bhopal victims killed by COVID.