Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

On 7/1/2022 at 3:37 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

The local classic rock radio station 89.5 the Drive just changed to 89.5 JR Country. Bad move IMO. #LongLiveRock!

Major blowback on social media around here….

Now we’re stuck trying to pull in KISM from Wa state for our rock fix. Reception isn’t great…

My girl and I were day tripping around the Far East side of Cleveland this weekend.   We’re jumping around the radio stations, seeing what’s what as we’re normally streamers of music.   I’m upset because one of the local East side classic rock stations is being drowned out by a Hip Hop station on an adjacent frequency out of Detroit.    I start hugging and puffing, just out of spite.  

Then we flip over to another “classic rock” station in the area, and the radio says “Chicago”, and I lose it.   I start ranting about ionospheres and yadda yadda, there’s no way we should be picking up a Chicago radio station here.   

She just looks at me and says “You’re an idiot.   The band is Chicago”.   

Edited by Gargamel
typo

Well one could say provocatively in a very general way that Chicago are as much classic rock as ... Abba for instance.  :rockout :cool:

Mumbling about the yanking supply chains. Have to build a new house because natural disaster (we're getting more every day), the insurance money reflected roughly the value of the old place, but I only get half of it today for the money.

I use a weather app on my iphone called AccuWeather. For the most part its a good app. However its the ads on it. I get it, its a price one pays when not going premium. The issue is the fact I keep seeing the same ones over and over almost ad infinitum. Well Alamo why dont you close the ad and when it asks why say not interested. Ive closed the SAME ads so many times I have hit: not interested, ad covers content, ad was inappropriate, seen ad multiple times with EACH OPTION chosen well over a dozen times EACH (and my guess is HYPER ULTRA MEGA conservative on the times ive closed them) across the same 2-3 ads. 
Why give me a chance to kill the ad if youre going to ignore me anyway? Is this a new form of non skippable ad? Anyone else experience this?

4 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

I use a weather app on my iphone called AccuWeather. For the most part its a good app. However its the ads on it. I get it, its a price one pays when not going premium. The issue is the fact I keep seeing the same ones over and over almost ad infinitum. Well Alamo why dont you close the ad and when it asks why say not interested. Ive closed the SAME ads so many times I have hit: not interested, ad covers content, ad was inappropriate, seen ad multiple times with EACH OPTION chosen well over a dozen times EACH (and my guess is HYPER ULTRA MEGA conservative on the times ive closed them) across the same 2-3 ads. 
Why give me a chance to kill the ad if youre going to ignore me anyway? Is this a new form of non skippable ad? Anyone else experience this?

It's the only advertiser they have, or the only one for your region...

i live in a part of the world where if you dont like the weather, wait 15 minutes. you never know what its going to do. one minute the sun is out and im hot, then the wind picks up, the couds roll in and it starts raining and a few moments later its sunny again. like today i needed to run to the store, a 15 minute walk tops, both ways. it was cold so i took a coat, by the time i got down there i was sweating like a pig. but when i got out of the store it was pouring rain for two minutes, when i came in the house my coat was stuffed into one of the bags and i was overheating. alaska is weird. 

Try the weather in Texas. Back some years ago (more than 15 years ago) the weather around lunch was clear skies. 10-15 minutes later a severe thunderstorm rolled in and dropped 1.5” hail so fast and so heavy it looked like odd snow. It was over in 10 minutes. Skies were clear again. Only way you knew it really happened was hail on the ground with broken branches all over. Texas weather is beyond scary in how violent it can get and how fast it can get there and often with no warning.

splashed my coke on my $250 keyboard. i cleaned it up best i could, removed keycaps, cleaned it with isopropyl, washed the keys, etc. seems like i killed an entire matrix row. i unplugged it last night for further repair. but this morning it seems to have returned to normal. for now. think a $250 keyboard could handle beverage spills better. like put a conformal coating on the pcb or put gaskets around the key switches or something. 

• 2 weeks later...

So... Regarding that power transformer for my apartment swallowed by the Earth. As mentioned last month, when it collapsed, it seems to have caused a massive power surge. In the month that's passed since, I'm finding out that not only was my computer damaged, but other things, such as lights too. Half the lights in my apartment have either failed, or are currently flickering like they're getting ready to fail. Man, that surge was DEVASTATING to my electronics...

On a positive note, parts at work are finally showing up again, but only one of the two big customers (that I personally build things for) has orders out right now. The other has been kinda quiet lately... Man, I need these orders... It's just so bad right now!

Needless to say... The Kerbal Instrument Panel project is stalled out, cause I just don't have cash right now... ;.;

surge suppressors lol. 

i actually had something like that in 2008ish. avalanche took out some high tension lines somewhere about juneau ak, the resulting surge went through my german made power supply and fried my high end gaming rig that i pumped $4k into. this has made me severely doubt the supposedly superior "german engineering".  anyway i put in new guts and got it to work for only another $1k and moved up to a core 2 quad. turns out my old board, memory and processor still worked with a power supply i got at a government surplus warehouse. the governor at the time got us a huge energy bonus tacked on to the pfd that year which more than made up for the damages. still it was enough to make me question the viability of the high end gaming rig. upper middle tier is fine and you can afford to upgrade on a shorter timetable. 

• 2 weeks later...

My wife took a frozen chicken and a frozen roast beef out of the freezer and put them in the fridge to thaw for a couple days.  She forgot to put them in a bowl. 

They were wrapped in clingwrap….

They were on the top shelf…

What a bloody mess they made, literally…

My wife was busy getting her products  ready to take to the local market, so guess who started pulling everything out of the fridge and wiping it all down?

But wait, there’s more!

Go to put the soggy egg carton in the compost bin under the sink: nope, it’s overflowing  So take that to the compost bin outside, well….. Two weeks ago, nobody found the large bin liners, so they just threw small bags in the bin any old way. It got collected, and (kids? wife?) kept tossing bags in. So I open it to find a maggoty mess, and the reek almost made me puke  

Luckily I have two compost bins, as the first one got somewhat squished by the truck, so the lid doesn’t close properly.   Not good for compost, but still usable for yard waste  Put a liner in there, dump the mess into it, use a car ice scraper to scrape the goop and bones off the bottom and dump that in (holding my breath the whole time) and finally hose the last of the mess and maggots out into the storm drain  Then I can go back to cleaning the fridge….

Okay, all done, putting stuff back in and…. drop a container of whey (from yogurt-making) and goooosh, all over the floor and cabinet… *hangs head*

Soaked that up with dish towels, a quick wet mop with the Norwex mop, and now I can just kick back at the market in my new Canucks jersey  Nice day, high cloud layer, not too hor, much better afternoon than morning…

Edited by StrandedonEarth

so the other day i had a little drinking party on my deck. half a bottle of bourbon, motorhead tunes. the guests were my cats and about a thousand gnats. me and the gnats got drunk, the cats mostly just slept. two days later im covered in gnat bites, everywhere. dont have an outdoor drinking party with gnats.  it really itches. 

Edited by Nuke

I have to move by the end of this month. We are trying to find a place in the same town, but the worst part is that we loved this house and the yard and though we would never have to move (The landlord is selling it ;.;) There is a lot of work to do as far as packing goes, since we have a lot of stuff.

12 hours ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

I have to move by the end of this month. We are trying to find a place in the same town, but the worst part is that we loved this house and the yard and though we would never have to move (The landlord is selling it ;.;) There is a lot of work to do as far as packing goes, since we have a lot of stuff.

You'd think the landlord would "sell" you as well, even hike the price for selling a property with existing tenants. Depending on local laws, they might not even have to get your consent to transfer the obligations to a new lessor...

3 hours ago, DDE said:

You'd think the landlord would "sell" you as well, even hike the price for selling a property with existing tenants. Depending on local laws, they might not even have to get your consent to transfer the obligations to a new lessor...

Depends if the new owner wants to actually live in it or not…

went to the eye doctor for the first time in 25 years, getting glasses. opted for rectangular frames when the round ones made me look like an evil german physicist. john lennon glasses not covered by my insurance.  rectangular ones got a hipster vibe, not a big fan, but i didn't like any of the others. 

Edited by Nuke

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

went to the eye doctor for the first time in 25 years, getting glasses. opted for rectangular frames when the round ones made me look like an evil german physicist. john lennon glasses not covered by my insurance.  rectangular ones got a hipster vibe, not a big fan, but i didn't like any of the others. 

Welcome to the Glasses Club, where you become basically blind when you take them off and can lose them easily if you weren’t thinking about it. Unfortunately, my vision worsened faster then yours, I had to get them in the sixth grade.

2 hours ago, Nuke said:

Get the little flexible ones that you stick directly to your eye and nobody else will see.

I've been wearing glasses since the second grade. The funny thing is that my eyes don't get worse every year, but my prescription changes every year. It just fluctuates. Very irritating.

2 hours ago, Nuke said:

opted for rectangular frames when the round ones made me look like an evil german physicist.

What's wrong with looking like an evil German physicist?

Major-Arnold-Ernst-Toht-Indiana-Jones-Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=1500&dpr=1.5

:D

My script is an astigmatism. It changes by the angle changing.

I'm fairly annoyed with the whole new script process, and I often get to coin flips between lenses they put in front of me. I have a feeling if I did it 100 times in a row, I'd end up with several different scripts...

So I buy perfectly round metal frames, like the Indiana Jones ones shown above, and occasionally I loosen the screws, and rotate the lenses.

BTW, I used to buy glasses on eyebuy, now I have been using zenni. Cheap as dirt, and they seem to work fine. My wife got an eyebuy pair that became her faves for cheap—but they stopped making the frame. Now she gets them at some fancy place in Santa Fe such that every pair she gets costs some multiple of the total I expect to spend on glasses the rest of my life assuming I live to be 100 (cause my round ones are like $25!).