Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

render brick installed, and now putting it through several games (all at 4k). still havent found one that drops the fps below my refresh of 144hz. except doom eternal, ended up dropping down as low as 120 hz. i played starcraft 2, which i got to run like a slide show, granted using a mod with unlimited unit cap, i had 1k supply and spammed carriers. i think sc is cpu bound with that many units on the field. 170 in mwo (though i didnt turn everything on, to stay competitive). maybe i will do some scorn and stray, as those are the newest games i got and maybe il see if i can turn on rt shaders in minecraft. im not sure how to make ksp spam my gpu, i always find its cpu bound and never really does anything to the gpu. i was mining with my 2070 super while playing and didnt notice so much as a hiccup. 

Edited by Nuke

On 4/11/2019 at 1:19 AM, Barzon said:

What about the spacex subreddits?

Some people don't want to be told that the man who posts mediocre memes on Twitter doesn't build the rockets :D

I'm like the man who singlehandedly built the rocket and went to the moon. What was his name, Apollo Creed?

lsgE83ZnVQ_y6aJUfLE6rOg9ZNl93np0wE21BBKO

I have an Eduard MiG-15 (still havent startet it yet). It only has 5 polish stickers (the model requires 6). Now yes, there is a Soviet, a Romanian, a Chinese and a Korean registration too but I want to make the Polish one. But oh well, I'll either buy Bulgarian roundels or make it Soviet.

I tried to romance a senior at work, she's younger than me by 2 years but 2 steps above me in the corporate ladder. Things looked great, we went on a couple dates. However, today I was handed a transfer notice. I have been transferred 224 kms away from my current location to a rural branch of my organization. This does not just smell fishy, it stinks of a coastal fish market. I also have an idea who did it, but that guy's like 4 steps above me on the corporate ladder.

Spoiler

20 years later,

Me: (Kratos voice) THERE ARE CONSEQUENCES TO ROMANCING A SENIOR AT WORK!

My child:(whiny Atreus voice) WHY? How do you know? HOW DO YOU KNOW?

53 minutes ago, Selective Genius said:

I tried to romance a senior at work, she's younger than me by 2 years but 2 steps above me in the corporate ladder. Things looked great, we went on a couple dates. However, today I was handed a transfer notice. I have been transferred 224 kms away from my current location to a rural branch of my organization. This does not just smell fishy, it stinks of a coastal fish market. I also have an idea who did it, but that guy's like 4 steps above me on the corporate ladder.

Hide contents

20 years later,

Fishing off the company dock is loaded with perils, that’s for sure.  

Maybe she’ll try to get transferred to the same place. You can dream, right?

32 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Fishing off the company dock is loaded with perils, that’s for sure.  

Maybe she’ll try to get transferred to the same place. You can dream, right?

Even if she wants to, the other guy has friends in HR, they decide where staff would get transferred to. Its a lost cause.

I am sad. :(

@Selective Genius there is an option. I have no idea if it is a good one, but, it is an option. You could always talk with her, tell her you wish to see if there is truly something there between you and that you are resigning from the company because you think your sudden transfer is an attempt by that guy in HR to abuse his position to try to move in on her and to prevent the two of you from seeing what is possibly there between you. Is it a good option? Ive no idea, but, it is an option.

Edited by AlamoVampire

10 hours ago, Selective Genius said:

Reveal hidden contents

20 years later,

When I was a young lad, just out of the Navy, all the way back in 1993, I got a job as the (only) technical writer at a company that made centrifugal pumps, mostly for oil refineries. Since I was going to be required to write the manuals for the pumps the company produced, the first thing they did was send me to their service school, which normally cost customers close to $5,000 for a week of training, and which also happened to be situated at the back of the building my office was in. The guy in charge of the school was a gentleman named Jesse. Jesse was awesome, we hit it right off. And since I was an employee and not a customer we spent a lot of time hanging out. So one afternoon during that week Jesse, me, and Mike (the other instructor) happened to be standing around in the back of the building by the parking lot, deciding where to take all the other students for lunch, when half a dozen of the secretaries gaggled out of the back door on their way to lunch together. Being a young man, just out of the Navy, I may have made an offhanded comment about the attractiveness of one or more of their party. Jesse and Mike may or may not have agreed with my assessment. But then Jesse looked at me and said, "But, remember: Don't screw your paycheck."

This little nugget of advice has stuck with me throughout my entire professional career. And I have watched the disasters that resulted from the people who did not heed it. Nothing good comes of office romances. Period, end of story. If you really think she's something, if you really think she's worth the investment, then quit, find another job, and then ask her out again. If nothing else it saves you the potential insanity of having an ex-girlfriend who is two steps above you on the corporate ladder. :confused:

still there is only so much im willing to take from an employer. but it my experience, relationships are harder to find than jobs. so if you hit it off. i mean like seriously, not some fling, some wham bam thank you ma'am situation, actual long term relationship like where you move in together or get engaged. then you might consider changing employers. do it gracefully, be transparent about it. take your 30 days with the caveat that you are unwilling to relocate, keep it business as usual during orifice office hours, and what you do in your free time is not their business. this is important, get a new job lined up asap.  if its important you should persue it, but do one or the other, if you try to do both you are in for some misery. its not like you dont have options.

also you must consider the possibility that she is the one that pulled the strings to get you transferred. perhaps because she didn't have the heart to let you down herself or perhaps she was protecting her own career. there might be less there than you think there is.

Edited by Nuke

14 hours ago, TheSaint said:

When I was a young lad, just out of the Navy, all the way back in 1993, I got a job as the (only) technical writer at a company that made centrifugal pumps, mostly for oil refineries. Since I was going to be required to write the manuals for the pumps the company produced, the first thing they did was send me to their service school, which normally cost customers close to $5,000 for a week of training, and which also happened to be situated at the back of the building my office was in. The guy in charge of the school was a gentleman named Jesse. Jesse was awesome, we hit it right off. And since I was an employee and not a customer we spent a lot of time hanging out. So one afternoon during that week Jesse, me, and Mike (the other instructor) happened to be standing around in the back of the building by the parking lot, deciding where to take all the other students for lunch, when half a dozen of the secretaries gaggled out of the back door on their way to lunch together. Being a young man, just out of the Navy, I may have made an offhanded comment about the attractiveness of one or more of their party. Jesse and Mike may or may not have agreed with my assessment. But then Jesse looked at me and said, "But, remember: Don't screw your paycheck."

This little nugget of advice has stuck with me throughout my entire professional career. And I have watched the disasters that resulted from the people who did not heed it. Nothing good comes of office romances. Period, end of story. If you really think she's something, if you really think she's worth the investment, then quit, find another job, and then ask her out again. If nothing else it saves you the potential insanity of having an ex-girlfriend who is two steps above you on the corporate ladder. :confused:

Yeah, one place I worked decades ago had a shipper/receiver dating a receptionist, with the occasional "X, ext ABC" on the intercom. One day, we were hearing that all day in the warehouse. The next day they were both gone...

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

also you must consider the possibility that she is the one that pulled the strings to get you transferred. perhaps because she didn't have the heart to let you down herself or perhaps she was protecting her own career. there might be less there than you think there is.

Its amazing how correct you were about my situation.  One of my friends confirmed that I was being played. The girl and the other guy started hanging out literally the day I packed my things. Not even a 24 hour cooldown period, damn! Probably stuff has been happening behind my back...

I mean it makes sense. She would go for someone who can help in advancing her career. What can a grunt like me offer her? I am angry, mostly at myself for being stupid. I am sad as well, mostly for myself.

If the world really operates on the Karma system then is all of my Good Karma disappearing in a void somewhere? Why is the Big Man up above being so miserly in giving me my share of happiness? I might never know. Like, 20 big bad stuffs happen and then one small good stuff happens.   Atleast I still have KSP and ethanol. Their friendship has been unconditional, through all of my many many bad times, since KSP version 1.2.1

Just now, Selective Genius said:

Its amazing how correct you were about my situation.  One of my friends confirmed that I was being played. The girl and the other guy started hanging out literally the day I packed my things. Not even a 24 hour cooldown period, damn! Probably stuff has been happening behind my back...

I mean it makes sense. She would go for someone who can help in advancing her career. What can a grunt like me offer her? I am angry, mostly at myself for being stupid. I am sad as well, mostly for myself.

If the world really operates on the Karma system then is all of my Good Karma disappearing in a void somewhere? Why is the Big Man up above being so miserly in giving me my share of happiness? I might never know. Like, 20 big bad stuffs happen and then one small good stuff happens.   Atleast I still have KSP and ethanol. Their friendship has been unconditional, through all of my many many bad times, since KSP version 1.2.1

They may have saved you a walk in a minefield, and some day down the road you'll hear that their relationship and jobs have both imploded. Meanwhile you'll meet an intriguing store clerk and happily settle down to small town life...

Just now, StrandedonEarth said:

They may have saved you a walk in a minefield, and some day down the road you'll hear that their relationship and jobs have both imploded. Meanwhile you'll meet an intriguing store clerk and happily settle down to small town life...

This. If she's going to choose who she dates based on how it advances her career, you didn't miss an opportunity, you dodged a bullet. Leave that drama to the other guy.

many a song has been written about that kind of girl. the songs are usually better than the girls they were written about.

relationships are something i burned out on a long time ago. i just come to the realization that i don't much care for other people. 

and now for my gripe. got the new monitor, the new computer, the new gpu. it took a couple years to build it and i think its the most money ive ever spent on a build. and just today a dead pixel appeared. fml. all technology is a scam.

Edited by Nuke

Kids….

Kid had a hockey tournament in a town about 3 hours away. They did good, took home third. 

Back home, renewed interest in practicing shots in the garage (nowhere else nearby, hockey is banned outside in the complex). And I just spent the last hour vacuuming up glass shards from the freshly broken garage window….

Edited by StrandedonEarth

today i almost bricked my mobo. it started when the machine wouldnt recognize my headphones. the battery died on my headphone charger again, so i plugged a wired pair into my headphone port. the computer then failed to recognize them. so i figured id try upgrading my sound drivers. this turned into upgrading all my drivers. i just used the msi update utility. it also indicated that my bios was out of date, so i updated that as well. 

computer rebooted to flash, and then the screen went black. i waited a good half hour before i figured something went wrong and tried to reboot. all was black. i had to auto usb flash feature, but i got it up and running again, spend an hour resetting all my bios settings and another just to calibrate fans. most mobos have an automatic fan calibration feature, not mine unfortunately. 

as for the headphone problem, i never fixed it. i did find i have to reboot to get it to recognize my headphones. but it doesn't seem to detect when they are plugged in and switch devices accordingly. a reboot is a workaround at least. 

• 2 weeks later...

Once again fedex is proving to be mind blowingly frustrating. Just like the 8th of this month when I had a package come from Japan fedex is once again not delivering to me on a sunday. My package left Japan at 0522 JST on 01-28-2023 and was cleared by US Customs in Oakland California at 0011 pacific time on 01-28-2023 roughly 3 hours after it entered the Oakland Fedex distribution hub. At 0400 Pacific time 4 hours or so after international shipment release by US Customs my package was in transit to the fedex hub in memphis. By 0927 central time on 01-28-2023 my package was scanned into the fedex hub in memphis. At 1534 central on 01-28-2023 my package was in transit to my city being scanned in at 1723 central on 01-28-2023. As of right now my package could be on a fedex truck coming to my house. It has been in my city for 15 HOURS!!! There is 0 reason that my package needs to sit at the local distribution hub in my city. Can anyone explain why DHL (different package but a great example of pure obscene efficiency) can go from Tokyo to Cincinnati to my city then to my door in (yay timezones and precustoms clearing in tokyo, go dhl!) a SINGLE calendar day, but fedex can go from osaka kansai to oakland to memphis to my city in that same time but drops the ball to sniff roses for an extra day? 

does anyone have a rational answer to why fedex (which DOES deliver on sunday) seems completely incapable of delivering a package that traversed the planet to reach my city in a single day (2 777s and either a 767, md11 or a300 osaka>oakland>memphis were the 777s and no idea which of the other 3 did memphis to my city) only to drop the ball so severely they are wasting a full 30.5-31 HOURS to seemingly avoid delivery on a day they openly admit they deliver on?

my only guess: catastrophic inefficiency/laziness. 

yes im frustrated. Yes im angry at fedex. Yes im aware im ranting. I just want my package and cant understand why once again fedex is refusing to deliver on a day they ya know, deliver on. /rant

Fridging greedy-donkey Apple. I hate that company. Since I have an Android phone, I can't join my robotics team's group chat or the cello section's group chat in the orchestra I'm in. How scummy is that, excluding people who don't have their overpriced and underwhelming-donkey products so that the users of other phones are inconvenienced into buying them. Not to mention all the other things that they do (which I haven't had to deal with, being an Android user), like inhibiting the performance of older phones, lacking non-proprietary ports, etc.

Dammit, the world would be so much better if humans were less greedy, selfish, and immoral...

Edited by LHACK4142

i generally dont like things that require you own other things to use them. this kind of nonsense has turned me off to a lot of modern technology. needing to have a smart phone to do anything. so i avoid devices that require smart phone activation or anything that's part of a "product ecosystem".

My mother passed away. She fell in her apartment back in August, and she was in and out of hospitals and in-patient rehab for two months before we finally got her into a long-term care facility back at the end of October. As was typical for my mom she made that entire process as difficult, painful, and emotionally draining as she possibly could. Once she was in LTC she settled down a bit, but she still made it perfectly clear that she didn't want us to visit her anymore. We did anyway. Finally back in December it got to the point where she had mostly stopped eating and was sleeping most of the day. The last thing she told me when I went to visit her was that my father had come around to see her, but that she was mad at him and refused to speak to him because he hadn't come to see her in so long. Well, yeah, Mom, he died thirty-four years ago. The care facility called us a few weeks ago and told us she had passed away in her sleep. At least she made it through Christmas. We got her ashes back from the mortuary this week, they're sitting on the dining room table across from me as I type this. Now I have to make all of the arrangements to get her out to California and buried in the plot with Dad. Nobody else in the family is really interested in making any effort over her, she burned all of those bridges.

Went out to breakfast with a friend this morning. He asked how I was doing, was I getting through the grieving, was I holding up okay. I was all, "Man, my relationship with my mother was very different than yours. I'm kinda just relieved that it's over."

im my mom's caregiver and it can get kind of tedious, she is both physically and mentally disabled. otherwise she would be in an ltc facility, and probibly a cheap state ran one. she has disowned much of her family, except me and my sister. she doesn't have any friends and is so demanding that nobody wants to deal with her or her constant negativity. it used to be a good arrangement because it gave me time for my projects and my games, but she hogs up more and more of my time to the point where my projects are almost axed entirely or greatly limited in scope.

i think there are some subsidized caregiver programs where i could get paid (part time) for doing what i already do. then i can set some hard boundaries on how much crap im willing to put up with. i put up with her for now, at some point im done. at which point she will go to a facility, and with here temper and tendency to throw things, it wont be long till she gets booted to a psychiatric facility, or worse. i have a hard time imagining anyone caring when she goes. but with how stubborn she is thats not going to be for some time now. 

Edited by Nuke

My mom is also in LTC, all the way over the Alzheimer's bridge. Fortunately she falls into the "cheerfully confused" category (her adopted mother, who was always the sweetest woman, fell into the "mean, nasty b...." category when she lost her marbles). She was living with my oldest brother, who is on permanent disability after a bad car accident, until the roles reversed for a year or so until he couldn't handle it anymore (one person simply cannot provide 24-hr care/supervision). Naturally, she never wanted to go to a 'home,' and no one wanted to send her there, but when the time came there really were no other options and she no longer had the faculties to resist or even know what was really happening.

Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your PoV, she appears otherwise healthy and may keep ticking for many years yet. One thing about her condition is it seems to have resolved her Type 2 diabetes since she was forgetting to eat; previously she could never resist the sweet things enough

Edited by StrandedonEarth