Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

There is nothing quite like getting confirmation of a suspicion about how little your extended family actually cares about you. See I had been starting to suspect over the last 15-20 years that my extended family doesnt really care all that much about myself in particular and to a lesser degree my mother. This suspicion ramped up for me when things in my life started going sideways in 2016. As each new negative thing happened from the (not saying every negative is equal or impacts outside harder for them but still) death of my 19yo cat to my mothers stroke in 2016 to the assorted bs that hit in 2017, 2018, 2019 then my brother from another mother dying in 2020, my mother being hospitalized twice more in 2020&21 to putting her in a home in 21. 
Across all that happening especially my mothers stroke, the death of my brother from another mother to ultimately having to place my mother in LTC not once did they check on me to see how I was doing or if I needed anything.

Then today I learned the confirmation of just how true my suspicions are. 
1. My mothers brother nearly died in December, required emergency surgery, is doing better now but still bad off. No one told my mother or me or even my father who is her durable power of attorney. Only reason I know? He (my father) had to go to her LTC to meet its new director and he visited my mother and called her cousin or something so she (my mother) could talk to her brother only to learn of this and the point below!!

2. Her cousins (different cousin) husband has now lost both of his legs. Do they think to update us? Nope.

So ya thats fun. I feel so justified in having decided years ago that when my parents die that im going to ghost both sides of the family, not that theyd care…

oo new page lol

Edited by AlamoVampire

biggest quake i was in was 7.2. building was on pilings so it was quite a ride. but i guess the building had good bones. next day, after the tsunami warning had passed (the water went up one inch), it was as if nothing had happened. barely a mention of it on the local news. 

Edited by Nuke

There is a shooting going on in Michigan state university right now, I hope everyone is safe. 1 or 2 confirmed casualties from what I have seen.

Update: 3 casualties, my they rest in peace.

Edited by Ryaja

On 2/5/2023 at 9:51 PM, AlamoVampire said:

There is nothing quite like getting confirmation of a suspicion about how little your extended family actually cares about you. See I had been starting to suspect over the last 15-20 years that my extended family doesnt really care all that much about myself in particular and to a lesser degree my mother. This suspicion ramped up for me when things in my life started going sideways in 2016. As each new negative thing happened from the (not saying every negative is equal or impacts outside harder for them but still) death of my 19yo cat to my mothers stroke in 2016 to the assorted bs that hit in 2017, 2018, 2019 then my brother from another mother dying in 2020, my mother being hospitalized twice more in 2020&21 to putting her in a home in 21. 
Across all that happening especially my mothers stroke, the death of my brother from another mother to ultimately having to place my mother in LTC not once did they check on me to see how I was doing or if I needed anything.

Then today I learned the confirmation of just how true my suspicions are. 
1. My mothers brother nearly died in December, required emergency surgery, is doing better now but still bad off. No one told my mother or me or even my father who is her durable power of attorney. Only reason I know? He (my father) had to go to her LTC to meet its new director and he visited my mother and called her cousin or something so she (my mother) could talk to her brother only to learn of this and the point below!!

2. Her cousins (different cousin) husband has now lost both of his legs. Do they think to update us? Nope.

So ya thats fun. I feel so justified in having decided years ago that when my parents die that im going to ghost both sides of the family, not that theyd care…

oo new page lol

You know, Alamo (Can I call you Alamo? ;) ) we're kinda in the same boat. In two weeks I have to drive back to California and sit through a "Celebration of Life" for my mom with her extended family. And they're all going to gush about what a wonderful person she was. And I'm just going to have to sit there with my mouth shut. Because none of her family knew her like I knew her. And she filled their ears with a ton of lies about who I am. So it's just going to be awkward.

But, here is my challenge, Alamo. To you, and to me: Give them grace. Not because I (or you) are to blame. Not because they deserve it. But because at some point we have to decide to make it stop. Nobody else can. We don't forgive people for them, we forgive them for ourselves. In the 12-step programs they have a saying, "Holding a grudge is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die." I'm going to let it go. And I'm going to do that by forgiving them and talking to them. No conditions, no demands. Let the chips fall where they may.

@TheSaint by all means :) I hold no grudge against them. They (with the exception of my mothers parents) have always seemed to be distant from me. I was and am the first child that was adopted into the family. I was adopted at 3 days of age. I dont think I was ever truly accepted into the family. My mother told me that when I was a young kid (sub 5-7y) Id always get side long glances when I acted up or was hyper. I was diagnosed at some point ADHD, but, my mother thinks my being adopted played a part. I think she was right as my cousins (dads side, which also is where the majority of what I just described happened) have adopted kids and those kids get treated like blood. The difference to me is glaring. But having spent a lifetime wanting but never having: a sense of belonging, of mattering, of being valid as a person, valid in thought, in feeling and what I say. There are other aspects I list when in private but, the list in full is what most folk take for granted. Suffice it to say, I made peace with them ignoring me years ago. Dont like it but cant change it. I honestly dont think anyone will notice me vanishing one day. The only thing I can forgive if anything is myself for once caring if they cared about me or my mom. Best of luck to you in whats coming up.

The non-geeks are getting really, really religious about ChatGPT and the like. You'd have thunk a brief, maths-free explanation of how it works would've dispelled the mystique, but no, everything from news anchors turning to the AI for "insight" (granted, it was after someone cited Google as a source), to the usual cries of self awareness to, ahem, journalists turning to ChatGPT for comments on upcoming stories about ChatGPT.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

The non-geeks are getting really, really religious about ChatGPT and the like. You'd have thunk a brief, maths-free explanation of how it works would've dispelled the mystique, but no, everything from news anchors turning to the AI for "insight" (granted, it was after someone cited Google as a source), to the usual cries of self awareness to, ahem, journalists turning to ChatGPT for comments on upcoming stories about ChatGPT.

Is this post generated by ChatGPT?

7 hours ago, Vagrant203 said:

Humans will packbond with a literal rock. At least this paves the way for actual sapient AI.

Actually this suggests we're in for an "AI winter", and probably a round of tight AI regulation given how the public will forget about AI for some time, but the droves of AI ethicists will not.

756656529182230.png

@DDE in advance i apologize if my knee-jerk reaction to your graph is upsetting but i saw it and before looking it over closely my mind instantly kicked out a single thought: that looks a lot like a dunning-kruger medium graph. After closer inspection it seems to be a legit graph from a legit company, but, compare it to a medium dunning kruger graph and tell me that im wrong in just how similar they look.

Dunning-Kruger.jpg

this by no means means im picking on your graph or anything, its just something i wanted to point out as a comparison..

Im unhappy with apple right now. My phone pops up that little red icon on the settings app saying it has an update. Ok fine. So i let it instal ios 16.3.1. When its done I see a new app. Some bs called free form. I did not ask for it, i did not and do not want it. I do not care if it was released for the app store in conjunction with the ios update but to force the app onto my phone with out warning or asking or getting my consent? Um… NO! I find it appalling they thought that was ok. Bad enough they wont include chargers with your new stuff…. :mad:

10 hours ago, DDE said:

Actually this suggests we're in for an "AI winter", and probably a round of tight AI regulation given how the public will forget about AI for some time, but the droves of AI ethicists will not.

756656529182230.png

Interesting! I hadn't seen that before!

On 2/15/2023 at 1:59 PM, DDE said:

Phosgene over Ohio. Who woulda thunk...

Damn, this is shaping out to be a nasty week for the US, isn't it?

Uhm...

https://www.foxnews.com/us/emergency-services-respond-uranium-fire-national-nuclear-security-administration-complex-tennessee

Uh...

Accidents?

This is a contained fire, though.

11 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Im unhappy with apple right now. My phone pops up that little red icon on the settings app saying it has an update. Ok fine. So i let it instal ios 16.3.1. When its done I see a new app. Some bs called free form. I did not ask for it, i did not and do not want it. I do not care if it was released for the app store in conjunction with the ios update but to force the app onto my phone with out warning or asking or getting my consent? Um… NO! I find it appalling they thought that was ok. Bad enough they wont include chargers with your new stuff…. :mad:

Come to the Android side...

7 hours ago, Nuke said:

im currently not a fan of ANY tech companies. they have become too draconian for my liking. they should get back to developing useful tech rather than trying to find ways to control everyone.

Adapting to the user's wishes rather than making the captive user adapt to the genius ideas of their designers? Now where's the fun in that?