Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

12 minutes ago, DDE said:

Adapting to the user's wishes rather than making the captive user adapt to the genius ideas of their designers? Now where's the fun in that?

the word "genius" only applies if preceded by the word "evil".

Edited by Nuke

• 2 weeks later...

1. You may call me a patriarchal chauvinist pig, but the presenter looks very convincing, I tend to believe in all this, it just can't be a fake.

(The guy to the right probably also said something wise and important, probably should listen him, too.)

2, NASA has bought and installed the Mothership Zeta DLC. Now officially.

2a. After the Brotherhood of Steel Pentagon had done it.

2b. Operation Anchorage is on the table? 

Pentagon officials said in a draft document last week that aliens could be visiting our solar system and releasing smaller probes like missions conducted by NASA when studying other planets.

That's what I'm pointing at for a decade on this forum.
Instead of the stupid clay heaps on Mars, or probing various iceballs and flying stones, everything should be focused on the alien artifact searching.

If not these ones, then some of previous aliens just must have left their rubbish around.

An artist's illustration of the interstellar object 'Oumuamua

They have a problem with apostrophes.

On October 19, 2017, the Pan-STARRS detected an unusual interstellar object that was later named ‘Oumuamua, or scout in Hawaiian.

The object was cigar-shaped, appeared flat, and was propelled away from the sun without showing a cometary tail, leading scientists to believe it was artificial.

It looks too aerodynamic and absolutely unspherical.
It's made to be piercing the interstellar medium.

And it looks too similar to some analogs.

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg8Qqmn.png

It can be an alien goldonder, spreading around the assault phototurbs, you never know.

a meter-sized interstellar meteor, IM2, crashed on earth

Spoiler

image-asset.gif

Next step:

Spoiler

star-wars-empire-strikes-back.gif

(Btw about Anchorage.)

7. They also send the interstellar air balloons.

Edited by kerbiloid

17 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

It comes from fauxnews and we’re supposed to believe it?

I am bummed they don't have the courtesy to link the source - not that I'd be able to access a .mil site - but the use of this specific outlet is pretty telling in itself.

Ive just seen 2 of the most offensive ads possible. While I am all for people donating blood, these 2 ads are just purely in the land of great idea gross/poor execution. Before I describe these 2 ads I want to stress again donating blood if you can can and does save lives. Ok onto the ads. The first shows scenes of a motor-vehicle crash and a 30 something year old woman on a gurney being loaded into an ambulance. Then it cuts to a guy who looks the part of a paramedic or emt (dressed in a uniform depicting it) saying how you should donate. It has him saying you donate blood (or something like that) it then jump cuts to that woman in mild makeup simulating injuries with a neck brace leaning up on her elbows saying you donate she lives.

If that ad wasnt gross enough the second was talking about how much blood cancer patients need. Similar type of commercial but this one shows a young girl as a cancer patient and someone playing an oncologist making a similar statement to the “emt” above but absolutely triples down on sleaze by having this young girl who looks healthy echoing the same statement the ADULT accident “victim” above nearly word for word. Is our world so screwed up that ads like this, being this sleazy can now just clear the good taste threshold now that other far sleazier things took that threshold and made it extinct?

On 3/17/2023 at 9:02 PM, AlamoVampire said:

sleazy

It's not just sleazy, it takes a really, really brute-force approach that's going to affect only a relatively small segment of the population. Shame  is a very poor motivator for altruism.

[snip]

Edited by Vanamonde

On 3/15/2023 at 9:45 AM, StrandedonEarth said:

It comes from fauxnews and we’re supposed to believe it?

All news is biased.

Always has been, always will be.

The largest failure of TV news is the lack of an editorial page/statement. Any real news agency should endorse candidates, and endorse specific platforms (as newspapers do). You then view the rest of their reporting knowing exactly how they will slant things. (and yes, their reporting is slanted towards their editorial goal, through use of language, what is and is not reported, and how much (time/length) it is reported, etc, ad nauseum)

Edited by tater

3 hours ago, tater said:

All news is biased.

Always has been, always will be.

The largest failure of TV news is the lack of an editorial page/statement. Any real news agency should endorse candidates, and endorse specific platforms (as newspapers do). You then view the rest of their reporting knowing exactly how they will slant things. (and yes, their reporting is slanted towards their editorial goal, through use of language, what is and is not reported, and how much (time/length) it is reported, etc, ad nauseum)

This would involve them surrendering the high ground of "we're not biased, but our competitors are". The really big ones aspire to be the accepted definition of what neutrality is, and even branch out into castigating other media as fake for failing to fall in line.

6 hours ago, DDE said:

This would involve them surrendering the high ground of "we're not biased, but our competitors are". The really big ones aspire to be the accepted definition of what neutrality is, and even branch out into castigating other media as fake for failing to fall in line.

All the post-newspaper news does this, they all claim to be unbiased—and 100% of them are lying.

Newspapers did the same, they just wore their editorial bias on their sleeve. Everyone in the early US knew which paper was Federalist, for example.

I messed up pretty bad over on Discord ;.;

I'm admin on the Kerbal Space Program 2 Modding Society and recently we had an incident with a user where they had some pretty notable unprovoked reactions. Then, to make matters worse, this user went around bad-mouthing the server leaving some bad blood.

So, when we saw that this user had published a mod that violated the existing EULA for KSP 2, I headed over to the SpaceDock discord server to let VITAS know that this should likely be removed. Quickly, this user showed up and re-engaged in the previously mentioned behavior. However, instead of doing the right thing, I engaged and contributed to the chaos but as soon as I saw it was getting out of hand, it was too late. 

I should've done better but I didn't and I deeply regret it.

My deepest apologies to everyone involved...

Spoiler

@HebaruSan, @munix, @VITAS, @Dakota, @cheese3660, and to everyone else that I didn't mention

I'm going to do better, I promise :) 

6 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

Quickly, this user showed up and re-engaged in the previously mentioned behavior. However, instead of doing the right thing, I engaged and contributed to the chaos but as soon as I saw it was getting out of hand, it was too late. 

I should've done better but I didn't and I deeply regret it.

As a moderator for over 4 years in Discord server of now over 355k members, I don't think you have to worry.

Sometimes people become too much, especially on platforms like Discord where it can be toxic. I've had plenty of confrontations, threats and general chaos thrown at me and also sometimes "engaged and contributed". 

Don't sweat it and forget about this trouble maker as they aren't worth your time.

9 minutes ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

Some kid punched me at school yesterday. I was pushed down the hall by another. That was fun.

Sorry to hear this, I hope you're okay

Bullying it one thing, but this is abuse. Is there anyone you can talk to, for help?

10 minutes ago, Tazooka said:

Sorry to hear this, I hope you're okay

Bullying it one thing, but this is abuse. Is there anyone you can talk to, for help?

Yeah, I’m okay. I told one of my teachers about it, and she in turn sent me to our school counselor. So those kids have most likely been dealt with.