DAL59

Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

For the last two days there is a stupid kid listening to bad hip-hop and rap L-O-U-D right next to our block.  Already that I curse those "musical" genres, the so-called "songs" he listens to are just yo-yo-yo lyrics and insults to anything (and I'm far from being a polite person in community).

Anyway, I preferred to put my music loud enough to cover his filth while making sure not to annoy the neighbors either. Turning the page and being pretty tired, I went to sleep around 01:00 thinking, "Let's enjoy the night and rest well enough."  Just to be woke up five hours later by a neighboring couple. They screamed for at least an hour right outside our door!

WHY - WOULD - YOU - NEED - TO - GO - OUTSIDE - TO - YELL - AT - EACH - OTHERS?!

170CAom.gif

 

Freaking self-centered world... I wish I could move to Eniwetok, Mururoa, Bikini, or even Fangataufa! I may stay alive less longer than here, but at least nobody is yelling in those places.

Edited by XB-70A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, XB-70A said:

For the last two days there is a stupid kid listening to bad hip-hop and rap L-O-U-D right next to our block.  Already that I curse those "musical" genres, the so-called "songs" he listens to are just yo-yo-yo lyrics and insults to anything (and I'm far from being a polite person in community).

Anyway, I preferred to put my music loud enough to cover his filth while making sure not to annoy the neighbors either. Turning the page and being pretty tired, I went to sleep around 01:00 thinking, "Let's enjoy the night and rest well enough."  Just to be woke up five hours later by a neighboring couple. They screamed for at least an hour right outside our door!

If I didn't know better, I'd swear you lived in my neighborhood.  Bass from cars vibrate my walls constantly.  When I'm lucky, I only hear it for a few seconds as they drive by.  Some of them are so loud that I literally FEEL it on INSIDE WALLS.  There are several cars that I can hear from over 1000 feet away.

Luckily they've moved out since (I'm assuming evicted, since the following is literally all they did), but there was a group of people 6 houses up that would just sit outside all day and night doing exactly what you described.  I could hear them over everything.

It's not just annoying to me.  It makes me physically angry, to the point that I just want to punch walls and smash windows.  Instantly, it doesn't even build up.  When I hear that self-centered garbage, I want to go into a Sterling Archer style rampage.  Last summer, when I would get home from work, I would have to put in earbuds and crank up my music louder than I'm normally comfortable with just to stay calm.

I can't wait to move.  Of course, for all I know, it'll just be worse when we do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We here had simulair issues. One night our neighbors kids were crying and the mother was doing nothing but screaming at them, but those people luckily moved out and we don't have to hear that unbearable noise anymore. Now its summer, which means i have to open the window to cool down the room, which and also means have to listen to the horrific noises of the street. I can hear every conversation going on outside, and also have to bear with the loud screeches of kids playing in the street. Also, i become slightly jealous everytime i smell and hear people having a BBQ party. Probably the worst thing i heard ever was a car crash, i don't know how severe it was, but all the neighbors screamed like they were apes.

Speaking of opening my window, opening or closing my window in summer is a lose-lose situation, if i close my window in my room, i will have to sleep in a greenhouse (i have no AC in my room) and if i open my window, i will have to deal with mosquitoes doing mosquito stuff. Its one of the many reasons i hate strongly dislike summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NSEP said:

Speaking of opening my window, opening or closing my window in summer is a lose-lose situation, if i close my window in my room, i will have to sleep in a greenhouse (i have no AC in my room) and if i open my window, i will have to deal with mosquitoes doing mosquito stuff. Its one of the many reasons i hate strongly dislike summer.

What about putting up mosquito netting on the window frame to prevent mosquitos from entering?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, qzgy said:

What about putting up mosquito netting on the window frame to prevent mosquitos from entering?

Garlic is an excellent mosquito repellent. From someone that once lived in the Amazon and got Malaria. From a group of 10 people on a 10 days trip to the country, only me got it.

I was the only one that didn't liked garlic. I love it nowadays. :D

There's one collateral effect, however. It repeals mosquitos, but also the opposite sex. :P

---------------- POST edit

Do not munch the garlic, it can ruin your stomach. A serious no-no if you have gastritis. Really. 

Make a tea, or eat it with butter and bread, something like that. 

But if your stomach can withhold the blow (and you are single!), munching is more effective :P

Edited by Lisias
Post edit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, NSEP said:

Speaking of opening my window, opening or closing my window in summer is a lose-lose situation, if i close my window in my room, i will have to sleep in a greenhouse (i have no AC in my room) and if i open my window, i will have to deal with mosquitoes doing mosquito stuff. Its one of the many reasons i hate strongly dislike summer.

Are you opposed to having a pet bat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some time ago I saw a project with a high power laser (100-ish mW or so) mounted on a turret with some machine vision system that would track mosquitos and take them out of the skies.

A summer project?

Might want to issue safety goggles to your housemates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, qzgy said:

What about putting up mosquito netting on the window frame to prevent mosquitos from entering?

Good idea!

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

Are you opposed to having a pet bat?

No not at all, our cat passed away recently so we could use a pet. I also allow spiders to build webs. I don't live in Australia so its not all that dangerous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, NSEP said:

No not at all, our cat passed away recently so we could use a pet. I also allow spiders to build webs. I don't live in Australia so its not all that dangerous.

There was a valley I used to camp in every summer.  At night you could see thousands of bats flying overhead.  The bats never bothered us.  Neither did the mosquitoes, with being eaten by the bats and whatnot.

Plus, some bats are basically cats.  I mean, it's only one letter off.

3miexl5esdc21.jpg

Edited by Geonovast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Plus, some bats are basically cats.  I mean, it's only one letter off.

I don't know if I like the idea of a cat meowing while flying around my roof. It's already hard enough to hit the non flying ones with old shoes, I would need radar guided ones!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad day(s).

Yesterday, because of different appointments I drove from Melbourne to Sarasota, then to Naples before finally returning to Melbourne. Almost eleven hours of driving as a whole for only 870 km / 540 mi traveled, surrounded by less than 20 years old driving at 20 mph over the limit, and elderly drivers riding 400-500 hp luxury sedans and SUV but driving at 10 or 20 UNDER the limit.

Anyway, the simple idea of being able to attend the STP-2 launch helped me stay awake. It was also an opportunity to test the Exploration Tower of Port Canaveral, which is the only place around here offering a view at height to private and non-professionals. I arrived six hours before the launch, and 35 dollars non-refundable later installed my camera on the tripod. The air was painfully wet, but I thought it was still worth it... until an official came to tell us "Sorry, but the tripods are forbidden here, but you can use monopods."

Really?! Supposedly because we must leave room for everyone ?! In this case, also ban monopods because they take up space and clutter the view! It's just as deeply stupid as banning cameras in concerts for their so-called copyright, while they allow people to keep their smartphones with them.

idXhD5H.png

 

Jetty's Park, and the spot of the 401 being already crowded since several hours, I had no more options available.
Above all, exhausted of having drove all along the day, I chose to leave. Shabby day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally bought a router to replace my old junk one that barely gets a signal sitting in front of it... The replacement lasted 3 hours, then died. :mad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, richfiles said:

The replacement lasted 3 hours, then died.

In the meantime: We don't have warm water anymore. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, richfiles said:

Finally bought a router to replace my old junk one that barely gets a signal sitting in front of it... The replacement lasted 3 hours, then died. :mad:

Wifi is just the worst.  I have a co-worker who lives out in the middle of freaking nowhere, to the point that his wifi will have zero competition.  His old router was fine, but he upgraded his DSL package and they of course replaced his stuff with one of those garbage all-in-one boxes.  Now he has constant dropouts while trying to watch < FullHD movies on the xbox in his livingroom, not 30 feet from the router.

I consider wifi a last resort, only if ethernet is not an option (like a phone/tablet or one of those "computers" that don't have an ethernet port.  Yes, they exist).  I'm not a huge fan of powerline adapters, but I'll take them over wifi.

1 hour ago, Delay said:

In the meantime: We don't have warm water anymore. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

tenor.gif?itemid=12743647

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Delay said:

Hopefully it will be fixed soon. 

It has been fixed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waiting until past 1AM at the airport to get on your connecting flight be like

:/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to go to an amusement park in the summer vacation. I like rollercoasters and flat rides and all that, and 6 weeks is enough time to plan and go to some.
There are some close ones in the Netherlands, for instance Efteling or perhaps Toverland, that I'd like to go to.
But Deutsche Bahn is being stupid again.

Both parks opens at 10 AM. If I want to arrive at 10:15 I have to take a train that departs at 0:45, not because it's so far away, but because... I don't know.
Otherwise I could travel for ~5 hours and arrive at 11 something, but that would mean one hour less I could spend in the park, and given I don't know how long I'd have to queue I'm not willing to take that risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, this morning some idiots in my year group apparently left a huge mess in the school library, litter and all. 

What did the higher-ups decide to do in response?

They banned the whole year group from the library, for the entire week. Yep.

Could they not have looked at the CCTV footage (because I know for a fact that there are cameras in there) to identify the particular thickos that did it, and ban only them, instead of punishing the other 99% who did nothing wrong? It doesn’t help that I have two exams this week, and the computers - that are only available to use in the library - are quite useful for studying.

I don’t know who I’m more angry at, the [adjective] people who left their mess in the library, or the teachers who decided to punish everyone for their actions. :mad:

Sorry for the rant. I just needed to get that out :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what the lady in the office next to me is microwaving for lunch, but the entire area now smells like hot dog food. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shpaget said:

Is that a good or a bad thing?

Depends. Are you a dog?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I don't know what the lady in the office next to me is microwaving for lunch, but the entire area now smells like hot dog food. :P

Maybe she actually microwaves a dog. Please, inform PETA, no one should do that to a microwave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Could they not have looked at the CCTV footage (because I know for a fact that there are cameras in there) to identify the particular thickos that did it, and ban only them, instead of punishing the other 99% who did nothing wrong? It doesn’t help that I have two exams this week, and the computers - that are only available to use in the library - are quite useful for studying.

I don’t know who I’m more angry at, the [adjective] people who left their mess in the library, or the teachers who decided to punish everyone for their actions. :mad:

Sorry for the rant. I just needed to get that out

Ranting is kinda the point of the thread....

But about that CCTV thing - yeah the thing is that takes time and effort and it is easier to just apply general punishment which also serves as a warning. But I agree, it isn't fair to others who didn't actually make the mess and yet still take the consequences...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Or they don't want to show that cams were broken, remaining CTTV HDD are small and they can store only last six hours, or that it was a bad idea to fire the previous sysadmin who was the only one who knows how to use the CCTV system.

Edited by kerbiloid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So today I came to the office, and turns out my laptop can't be turned on - it doesn't even light up the charging indicator. Sadly screwdrivers weren't at hand or around.

Went to a computer shop a way away, compelled the technician to open the back, then seeing nothing wrong, asked to undo the batteries and test it again.

And just like that, it comes to life. Even after the battery has been re-inserted.

 

I mean, how in the heck the simplest of actions needs a screwdriver ? In the past I'd just need to undo two latches and done !

Edited by YNM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.