Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

5 hours ago, cubinator said:

The baby at the house I'm staying at has learned how to make the worst mathematically possible sound: a loud, high pitch which achieves a resonance with my skull.

Have you tried modifying your skull or the baby so it doesn't resonate and/or produce said sound?

1 hour ago, Spacetraindriver said:

on another note a rock castle i built at the beach fell just as we were leaving the parking lot... :( 

It’s the human condition. Everything we make will return to dust eventually, the only thing keeping us in defiance of entropy, is will. Take that will away and everything we are is washed back down into nothingness. 

That will was passed throughout an entire lineage of life spanning countless eons. It has seen slime crawl across the shores of a primeval world still hot from the fires of creation, seen seas filled with creatures of every size and description, seen a world terrorised by mythical giants. It has seen the end of the world many times through fire, through darkness and through ice... and through all that time, that torch of will was never lain down once. And now you hold it. As well as making you a special thing it also lets you to make as many sand castles as you want. And since it didn’t come with instructions, that seems like as good a use for it as any ^_^!

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, qzgy said:

Have you tried modifying your skull or the baby so it doesn't resonate and/or produce said sound?

See, I play the organ so I need as wide an auditory range as possible...though I will probably be modifying my skull by removing its rearmost teeth within a week or two. (I have a hunch that'll fix my migraines, at any rate.)

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

See, I play the organ so I need as wide an auditory range as possible...though I will probably be modifying my skull by removing its rearmost teeth within a week or two. (I have a hunch that'll fix my migraines, at any rate.)

That still leaves baby modification open though. Maybe tooth removal will also have an effect.

Today, on site, there was a car parade down the main street.  At lunch time.

(And if you're going to have a bunch of vehicles from the '60s, at least have the decency to have a psychedelic VW microbus!)

Have spent 10 hours writing an article today, it's not even finished yet and there's still things to change

Why did I choose engineering

'Discord Drama'. A very dangerous and quite frankly stupid thing that can ruin reputation across multiple communities. I myself have been involved in some (worst one was when my IP was found and then leaked to 8,000 people), and it's just not needed. We all should respect each other, not try to ruin each others lives, turning a little argument into some campaign against a user or group of users. The unfortunate truth is that we all see each other (at least in my opinion) as users posting text, while we fail to see that an actual person is behind that user, and what we say can have huge consequences in their lives. 

It's really not needed, we should respect eachother and be kind, offering help, instead of hate.

On 7/3/2019 at 11:38 AM, YNM said:

I mean, how in the heck the simplest of actions needs a screwdriver ?

... The events repeat themselves 2 weeks later.

I mean, I'll be honest, I have been quite rough with it, but seriously.

I've managed to open 5 of the casing screws with a fork, and so far only 1 out of 7 of the screws holding down the battery.

Note to self - buy a portable screwdriver set.

I fell asleep early, woke up at about 3am...

I saw the news of Kyoto Animation Studio fire. It was arson. All three floors were affected by the fire.
A man entered, poured gasoline out on the first floor of the three story building, and allegedly shouted "die".
There are worse details, and I'm not going to get into it here... He admitted doing it on the ride to the hospital.
I think this now ranks as post war Japan's second highest WORST criminal death toll and possibly the third or fourth worst number of injuries.

I couldn't fall back asleep after reading such a horrible thing... ;.;

I'm saddened by the loss of life, angered by the maliciousness of the monster that did this, as confused as the rest of the world as to why...
The studio employed 70 people. reports suggest 26 30 33 people may have lost their lives. (I swear, it keeps rising as I type this)
Families and friends now must face a reality where they will never see a loved one again.
Who even knows what we've lost creatively.

This studio created numerous anime including The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star, K-On! Nichijou, Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid, and Free!.
I haven't watched all those, but Suzumiya, Nichijou, an Dragon Maid were shows I really enjoyed (even if that latter one gets a bit cringy sometimes).
just really sad right now.

I'm gonna try to see if I'm tired enough to fall asleep again... Absolutely horrible... ;.;

No amount of justice will bring back the lives lost, heal the pain of the survivors, or create what the victims might have created,
but given what I know of Japan's culture, and their justice system... They're gonna throw the rope at this man.

Edited by richfiles

1 minute ago, richfiles said:

but given what I know of Japan's culture, and their justice system... They're gonna throw the rope at this man.

I hope so. Then again Japan has all sorts of weirdness within itself. I just hope this wasn't anything of that sort of weirdness where they're above the law.

This morning my colleague and I commented on some flies that we encountered when we entered the premises. There were maybe four or five of them, not a big deal, just annoying. In the early afternoon one of us glanced at the ceiling and the horror - hundreds of flies. I've never seen anything like that.

Enter the largest can of Raid available, AKA genocide in a can.

I'm afraid some animal might have entered the air ducts and met its demise. If that's the case, the next few days we might see more flies, but there is no smell I'd associate with dead meat (that particular duct is drawing air out, so that may be the explanation for the lack of smell).

We'll see what the morning brings.

12 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

It’s mostly gone now...but it turns out, not being able to turn your head to the right is really inconvenient. I did try to avoid it, but...yeah :P

Just turn to the left, but farther. Achieves the same thing. 

11 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Remember kids, two wrongs don't make a right.

But three lefts do.

Speaking of three lefts, I had to do three lefts last night after Google told me to take an exit right after I passed it at highway speed. Thanks Google. :huh:

4 hours ago, Delay said:

My glasses hurt my ears, especially with a headset on.

And today's Sunday, so everything is closed and I can't get them fixed until tomorrow!

If fix the ears every time when glasses hurt them...

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

Speaking of three lefts, I had to do three lefts last night after Google told me to take an exit right after I passed it at highway speed. Thanks Google. :huh:

Please, switch your path computer back to "Surface" from the "Orbit" mode.

I am at a hotel halfway between home and Washington, DC. 

One time, in 2004, I was at a hotel that advertised free internet.  This free internet included a PCMCIA 56K modem and one of those free AOL trial CDs.  Yes, really.

That may have been preferable to this "High Speed Wireless Internet"

I really hope the hotel in DC has an ethernet jack in the room.