Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

Between media and SARS-CoV2, the real epidemic is the media. I've had enough of this topic and I want to open my newspaper without being instantly greeted by at least 2 headlines about how the first positive diagnosis in my district became official. I want explanations, not a mass panic!

Suffering from death anxiety lately, also the quality of the posts deteriorating recently on this thread is very concerning.

EDIT: The death anxiety has been resolved, but my fear has now extended to the very impermanence of everything.

Edited by Satellitefanatic
Existential crisis

Well, I flunked that exam.
Poetry. There is no logical progression, no argumentation in a poem. It's all just randomly thrown-together sentences that ostensibly create some meaning I cannot decipher.
And so, on those 8 pages I had and that everyone else filled continuously from beginning to end of those 95 minutes I barely managed to fill the first before time was up.

I don't - can't - see myself at fault.

On 3/12/2020 at 12:11 AM, Delay said:

Between media and SARS-CoV2, the real epidemic is the media. I've had enough of this topic and I want to open my newspaper without being instantly greeted by at least 2 headlines about how the first positive diagnosis in my district became official. I want explanations, not a mass panic!

Check the wikipedia page, it is certainly (although not entirely) far more factual than mainstream media reports

17 hours ago, Delay said:

Well, I flunked that exam.
Poetry. There is no logical progression, no argumentation in a poem. It's all just randomly thrown-together sentences that ostensibly create some meaning I cannot decipher.
And so, on those 8 pages I had and that everyone else filled continuously from beginning to end of those 95 minutes I barely managed to fill the first before time was up.

I don't - can't - see myself at fault.

Well the good news is no company is going to refuse to hire you based on a poetry exam.

(okay maybe Hallmark or something)

Edited by 5thHorseman

I went to a local supermarket this morning. Just standard grosseries and a single pack of toilet paper for the next two months; that's what I expected, at first. All rows were full, excepted the toilet paper one... That's the kind of situation reminding me how utterly dumb people are in this world.

I'm almost hoping they will end entrenched in their own place, surrounded of toilet paper rolls.

Edited by XB-70A

2 hours ago, XB-70A said:

All rows were full, excepted the toilet paper one...

Germany has all sorts of empty shelves in stores. Most common victims of the panic are toilet rolls and... noodles.

We're already joking about how all these noodles will be used for salad in this year's grilling season.

Edited by Delay

On 3/4/2020 at 9:21 AM, Dirkidirk said:

BTW if you see me doing or saying something weird or stupid (like this), it is either because of my autism or my stupidity. :P

Dude, if you only knew... I have brain damage and have been known to make some pretty strange comments myself. In fact, the more tired I am, the less sense I make. I will not name any names, but a few other forum members have some form of autism; and a couple of them have become really good friends beyond the forum. So, don't be so harsh on yourself. This comment:

On 3/11/2020 at 7:28 AM, Dirkidirk said:

I is human trash. 

is simply not true. You have value. But to learn what your value is, you have to get to know who you are, what your limits are, and what you are capable of doing. You're a young critter; this comes over time. What are your interests? Ask people you trust about what they see in you - after my TBI, I was in a very dark place mentally. I was constantly putting myself down and questioning why I was even alive. But then something happened. One of my army buddies who knew me before the accident told me I something profound: my brain injury didn't have to define me.

Sure, you have autism, but autism isn't who you are. Like my brain damage isn't who I am. It is a part of who I am. But it doesn't have to define me. So, how has the brain damage affected me?

• It took me 20 years to relearn the piano. Something I was very proficient at before my accident (I was a music theory and composition major before the accident).
  • I had to relearn how to do basic math (I had taken calculus, geometry II and trigonometry II in high school). It took me three years with tutors before I went back to college. After college algebra was done, I had to take trigonometry. I was able to pass trigonometry in college but I had to spend 2 hours in the math lab in addition to the 3 hours in lecture every week to pass the course with a "B."
  • When I get tired I can become over-emotional and sensitive; additionally, I also slur my words and sound like I've been drinking. I'm very self-conscious about it and am afraid it will affect how others see me, especially with family functions and social gatherings where I am out late at night.

I'm 50 years old. My TBI happened when I was 19. It's taken me a while to accept my limitations and to understand how those limitations affect my life. Here's the thing, don't be so hard on yourself. Don't be afraid to reach out, and realize you do have value. :) You're one of us!

36 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Dude, if you only knew... I have brain damage and have been known to make some pretty strange comments myself. In fact, the more tired I am, the less sense I make. I will not name any names, but a few other forum members have some form of autism; and a couple of them have become really good friends beyond the forum. So, don't be so harsh on yourself. This comment:

is simply not true. You have value. But to learn what your value is, you have to get to know who you are, what your limits are, and what you are capable of doing. You're a young critter; this comes over time. What are your interests? Ask people you trust about what they see in you - after my TBI, I was in a very dark place mentally. I was constantly putting myself down and questioning why I was even alive. But then something happened. One of my army buddies who knew me before the accident told me I something profound: my brain injury didn't have to define me.

Sure, you have autism, but autism isn't who you are. Like my brain damage isn't who I am. It is a part of who I am. But it doesn't have to define me. So, how has the brain damage affected me?

• It took me 20 years to relearn the piano. Something I was very proficient at before my accident (I was a music theory and composition major before the accident).
  • I had to relearn how to do basic math (I had taken calculus, geometry II and trigonometry II in high school). It took me three years with tutors before I went back to college. After college algebra was done, I had to take trigonometry. I was able to pass trigonometry in college but I had to spend 2 hours in the math lab in addition to the 3 hours in lecture every week to pass the course with a "B."
  • When I get tired I can become over-emotional and sensitive; additionally, I also slur my words and sound like I've been drinking. I'm very self-conscious about it and am afraid it will affect how others see me, especially with family functions and social gatherings where I am out late at night.

I'm 50 years old. My TBI happened when I was 19. It's taken me a while to accept my limitations and to understand how those limitations affect my life. Here's the thing, don't be so hard on yourself. Don't be afraid to reach out, and realize you do have value. :) You're one of us!

I can't really think of anything to say, except thanks. :)

9 minutes ago, Dirkidirk said:

I can't really think of anything to say, except thanks. :)

That's sufficient. :) If you need to vent or talk, reach out to me and any of the moderation team. Most of us are good guys. And as the Farmer's Insurance commercial says, "We know a few things because we've seen a few things..."

Earlier today I remembered seeing a video about cooking stuff in a cup in a microwave. Since I was a bit peckish and up for experimentation, I found the video and decided on mac and cheese. Simple enough. Honestly, I'm not sure why you'd do it in a microwave, but the lady in the video was quite enthusiastic about the whole "no clean up" aspect, and I've never cooked anything in a microwave so I decided to give it a shot.

I had to deviate from her recipe. First of all, she was using a regular sized cup, which is entirely inadequate amount of pasta for a grown butt man, even if full and I had to take into account the mixing of the ingredients and all that, so I opted for my 800 ml mug and filled it about 1/3 with pasta and half with water. My 20/20 foresight told me to be careful and to expect water boiling over, so I did short periods of mirconuking it. Didn't really prevent it from boiling over three times. How in the world was she doing it in a regular cup? Anyway, after an uncountable number of short periods of microwaving, the pasta was finally cooked.

Next deviation was the cheese. The recipe calls for shredded cheddar. I don't have cheddar, so some parmesan like cheese it is for me. It seemed a bit too dry and looked as if would have trouble melting, so I added two of those melted triangle cheese things as well. A bit of pepper, milk and flour and back into the microwave for a few more 30 second rounds. Done.

I won't lie, it's not going to get all three Michelin stars, but it was edible. I went back the YT video to double check why I was messing with the microwave - because no clean up. Well, I'd like to say that's bovine poop. Cleaning the mug was just as much work as it would have been cleaning a sauce pan, a hypothesis I decided to put to test this evening.

Pretty much the same recipe, only this time on the stove in a sauce pan. Let me tell you, they make stoves for a damn good reason. No messing around with 30 second intervals of cooking and opening the microwave just to stir and put back in, no multiple occasions of boiling over and cleaning each time, and no annoying microwave beeping.

Furthermore, you can see and adjust the contents of the pan on the go if you see that you need to add something and cook for exactly as long as you need to. Also, washing the sauce pan and a plate took me less than washing the mug.

I think I'll demote the microwave back to warming water for tea.

4 hours ago, Shpaget said:

I think I'll demote the microwave back to warming water for tea.

Microwaves only heat up fat/oil and water. So you can actually boil stuff (put something entirely in water) using it.

I'm really confused (and angry) right now...

Long story short: Pretty much every day, I'm passing next to Patrick Air Force Base, in Cocoa Beach. Most of the time, its parking areas are empty, but sometime an interesting aircraft is on the ground. I even had the chance to take some (bad) pictures of a C-5M recently. Today, I passed by once again, but as I was going to shot some ships leaving Port Canaveral, my camera was with me. I saw a 757-200 with her navigation lights turned on, so I decided to wait for her to take-off. 

I was waiting in my car, when I saw a KC-135 coming-in for landing or going-around. I jumped out of my car, and took a dozen of pictures of her. I was pretty happy, as I haven't seen any Stratotanker in the air for a while. Then, the 752 left. I took some picture of her too, and decided to stay a bit more for the KC-135 which was coming back.

However, right at the time I took pictures of the 752, I saw an old-man staring at me strangely from inside his truck. At first, I guessed he thought I was some kind of a "bad guy" taking pictures for "spying".  I was wearing flashy clothes, while standing 70 m/225 ft next to an Air Base's fence, and right into the sight of the control tower, talk about the perfect discretion... Anyway, I was about to leave when the guy decided to pass by my car. He took a picture of my plate, then a picture of me (I was staring at him while wondering), and he middle fingered me before leaving.

I must admit, I'm extremely bad at holding back my anger with insults. Right now, and about two hours after it happened, I still have my fingers' tips shaking slightly, and the will to make this old man pay for his gesture.

Also being worried about the reason why he did that, I stopped by one of the AFB's entrance gates to ask a Military Police officer, if what I did was illegal. He told me it was if my pictures had military installations in them; which they don't, as I only caught the two airplanes while they were flying. Anyway, I told him I will erase all pictures; which I have done.

Looking at some posts on aviation photographers forums, it seems like taking pictures of military aircraft in the US is legal as long as no military installations appear in them. Now, I'm just wondering if I'm going to have some visit in the next hours*, and also why that crazy old man did that to me... He could have rightly come to me, and tell me what I was doing wrong, instead of flipping me off.

* Which will be a waste of ressources. I'm not the first having taken pictures of a Stratotanker climbing from an AFB and flying over the sea.

Edited by XB-70A
I was too mentally numb at first, and didn't realize all those orthographic mistakes