Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

I did some math and turns out that I can not sustain myself and my cats at the same time. I was laid off due to the pandemic and my cash supply is dwindling down. I would put these cats up for adoption but no one's going to adopt them, since there's a superstition that cats are inauspicious and bring evil to a household. But I will still give it a try. If that does not work out I will have to abandon the cats. It won't be easy but I don't have a choice.

If anyone has a better idea, then I would love to listen.

If we lived several hundred years ago you could open up a trade to china. Start a violin company and make small fur mittens for all the other worlds kittens. Today... no clue. Ironically skinning a cat is now a crime. And there are 0 ways to do that just like there is to deal with anything else in life. It's like we've been pinned into a single option or less for everything...

On 9/5/2020 at 12:03 AM, cubinator said:

The people on the street are most talkative between 12:00 and 1:00........AM. :huh: 

I'm trying to have a healthy sleep cycle here! And my windows are a little too thin for this.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/soundproofing-windows/

Bob Vila has your back!! :cool:

Edited by Arugela

Job Satisfaction Story of the Day:

HR sends out an email: "Here are the two forms for the new compensation review process this year. Everyone please fill out the first form. If your job position has changed significantly in the last three years, fill out the second form as well. Then submit the forms to your supervisor with an updated resume by next Friday."

Boss: "Everyone please fill out both of these forms and return them to me by next Friday."

Me: "But, my job hasn't changed in well over three years. Why do I need to fill out the second form?"

Boss: "Because everyone needs to fill out both forms."

Co-Worker: "Gosh, I've been working here for twenty years, I don't even have a resume."

Boss: "You don't need a resume. The second form is your resume."

Me: "That's not what HR asked for in their email."

Boss: "Look, just fill out the forms and get them to me by next Friday, okay?"

Me:

a7e.jpg

Bet me a dollar he comes back in a couple weeks and says, "Hey, everyone needs to get me an updated resume by lunchtime tomorrow."

4 hours ago, tater said:

Where are you? How much is a large bag of dry cat food there?

I am from India and a 20 kg bag is like 50 USD.While I still have about 2 weeks worth of cat food with me for the 2 adult cats and 3 adolescent kittens  (since the 2 week old kittens drink their mother's milk). But by after 2 weeks, it would be time for the little ones to start eating dry food, and I would have none left by then. I mean I am not totally broke, I can still buy them atleast one 20 kg bag of cat food which will last for at least 2 months, but I will have to trim my expenditures a lot.

Edited by Selective Genius

10 minutes ago, Selective Genius said:

I am from India and a 20 kg bag is like 50 USD.While I still have about 2 weeks worth of cat food with me for the 2 adult cats and 3 adolescent kittens  (since the 2 week old kittens drink their mother's milk). But by after 2 weeks, it would be time for the little ones to start eating dry food, and I would have none left by then. I mean I am not totally broke, I can still buy them atleast one 20 kg bag of cat food which will last for at least 2 months, but I will have to trim my expenditures a lot.

You have an Amazon acct? Cause if it's on your wish list, anyone can buy it for you, and poof, it gets delivered ;)

Let me know, I'm happy to spot you a bag of cat food.

9 hours ago, tater said:

Let me know, I'm happy to spot you a bag of cat food.

I was not expecting kindness from an internet stranger. You would be saving several innocent lives with your contribution, I just hope that this does not inconvenience you.

As soon as I get a stable source of income, I will pay back this debt, I swear.

2 hours ago, Selective Genius said:

I was not expecting kindness from an internet stranger. You would be saving several innocent lives with your contribution, I just hope that this does not inconvenience you.

As soon as I get a stable source of income, I will pay back this debt, I swear.

No need to pay it back. I was going to say "do something nice for someone else some day"—but you're doing something nice for those cats.

Even if cats are not popular, maybe given enough time you can find a home for the kittens. You might also look into getting the mom spayed so you don't end up with more kittens.

I was told by a university student yesterday that since I "caused" the course textbooks to cost so much, I should buy her the books for my course. :huh:

I am notorious for using books for courses until the publisher no longer prints the edition and the campus book store cannot carry them any longer. After seven years of using the same world civilization book, I had to change for the Fall 2020 term. The book I changed from - new - was around $45.00/used could be bought on Amazon for $12. And in my introductory emails sent out two weeks before class starts, I include direct links to all the books for the course (there are two) to Amazon and Alibris. Sometimes, students will pay more for the shipping than for the book!

This semester, the new textbook costs $83.00. It was the cheapest (and most accurate for the price) I could find. I could have gone with the newer edition of what I was using, but the publishing company has jacked up the price to $15 for an e-edition that a student loses access to at the end of the academic year, or $109 for the actual textbook. For me, that's just too much money for a non-history major to shell out of their pocket for a book they will use one time.

So, what really made me mad is it took me half a semester to find a book that had a somewhat reasonable price which would not bankrupt the students, yet to have a student accuse me of price gouging and demanding I buy their books for my class was a bit much.

3 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

So, what really made me mad is it took me half a semester to find a book that had a somewhat reasonable price which would not bankrupt the students, yet to have a student accuse me of price gouging and demanding I buy their books for my class was a bit much.

Kids nowadays.

On my time, before the internet, 100 bucks was the price I had to pay for the shipping and importing taxes alone for the books I needed to carry on my job.

I had to carefully weight the cost of the book with the incoming the book would provide to justify buying the thing - but most times than my bank account would like, I ended up buying the damn thing the same just because the thing was interesting. I probably was the only guy in town that really knew how to do low level programming in VGA. :P (or the only idiot that spent a hell of a money importing the Kim Carnes Essential CD).

cancel culture is really starting to anger me. not so much that it exists but that everyone seems to be giving in willy nilly to what is essentially a really vocal minority. as a result my movie list is blank, tv shows are dry, doctor who is dead and dune 2020 is threatened. i need my escapism damn it!

Edited by Nuke

There are several national level examinations held annually in our country for different government posts. One such examination was supposed to be organized on 13th September. Because of the coronavirus, the number of trains running has been drastically lowered, so I decided to buy  my train tickets a month before the exams (My exam center was in a different state, 940 km from my home). We were awaiting our examination call letters which are usually dispatched to the candidates 15 days prior to exam date. On 8th, it was announced by the agency conducting the examination that the exam will be postponed to a later date. I then took the sensible decision to cancel my train tickets.

Not even 24 hours later, the agency withdrew the postponement notice, and announced that the examinations would proceed as scheduled. And I have no train tickets. Just like that, one of the three opportunities that I have to get a job vanished into thin air. The examination agency basically did a "Its just a prank bro!" and just screwed up my already messed up future.

Some higher organism is clearly enjoying my misery, just like we do when we burn ants with magnifying glass..

Overnight Someone cut the main cable (55mm thick) for the Sea-to-Sky gondola that takes tourists to the top Of the Squamish Chief (A popular local climbing mountain) again, thirteen months after cutting it the first time. Replacing the cable and broken cars The first time cost $10 million. 

SomeBody doesn’t like that business 

ignore all the extra caps. Too annoying to edit those out on mobile